UK Compilation Chart
The UK Compilation Chart is a record chart based on sales of multi artist compilation albums in the United Kingdom. It is compiled weekly by the Official Charts Company (OCC), and each week's Top 40 is published online on the official websites of the OCC (Top 100), BBC Radio 1 and MTV, and in the magazines Music Week (Top 20) and UKChartsPlus (Top 50).
Though only accredited to compiling multi-artist compilation albums, the chart compiles all full-length various artist releases, regardless of whether they are compilations or studio albums where all the recordings are new (such as The Help Album in 1995 or Radio 1 Established 1967 in 2007).
TV-advertised hits compilations had been established in the United Kingdom since K-Tel's 20 Dynamic Hits in 1972, but following the December 1983 release of the first album in the Now That's What I Call Music series, compilation albums featuring various artists reached a new level of popularity in the UK during the mid to late 1980s. As a result of their dominance over the UK Albums Chart, releases from various artists were excluded from the main album chart from 14 January 1989. Instead, they were compiled in the UK Compilation Chart. This meant albums such as Now That's What I Call Music! 13 and The Hits Album 9, which had charted into the main Albums chart, had to be transferred into the compilations chart as they were still selling strong.
- List of best-selling compilation albums by year in the United Kingdom
- List of UK Compilation Chart number ones
- "Now 1 reissued for 25th birthday". BBC News. 12 January 2009. Archived from the original on 25 January 2009. Retrieved 29 June 2011.
- "History Of The Official Charts". The Official Charts Company. 2010. Archived from the original on 10 October 2010. Retrieved 28 June 2011.
... January 1989: Artist and compilation albums are separated out to create two different charts, the Official Artist Albums Chart and the Official Compilations Chart. ...
- Compilation Albums Top 40 at the Official Charts Company
- The Official UK Compilation Chart at MTV
- UK Top 40 Compilation Albums at BBC Radio 1
|This music-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|