United Kingdom Research and Innovation
United Kingdom Research and Innovation (UKRI) is a quasi-autonomous non-governmental organisation of the United Kingdom (UK) that directs research and innovation funding, funded through the science budget of the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS). Established on 1 April 2018 by the Higher Education and Research Act 2017, UKRI brings together seven existing research councils, Innovate UK and the Research and Knowledge Exchange functions of the Higher Education Funding Council for England (HEFCE) into one unified body. Working in partnership with universities, research organisations, businesses, charities and government its mission is to foster research and development within the United Kingdom and create a positive "impact" - "push the frontiers of human knowledge and understanding", "deliver economic impact" and "create social and cultural impact". UKRI was created following a report by Sir Paul Nurse, the President of the Royal Society, who recommended the merger in order to increase integrative cross-disciplinary research. The first Chief Executive Officer of UKRI is the immunologist Professor Sir Mark Walport.
- Arts and Humanities Research Council
- Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council
- Economic and Social Research Council
- Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council
- Medical Research Council
- Natural Environment Research Council
- Science and Technology Facilities Council
- Innovate UK
- Research England: a new body with England-only responsibilities of HEFCE in relation to research and knowledge exchange. In addition to REF, it is leading on a new knowledge exchange framework (KEF).
- "John Kingman to Lead Creation of New £6 Billion Research and Innovation Body - GOV.UK". www.gov.uk. Retrieved 2017-09-04.
- "About us - UK Research and Innovation". www.ukri.org. Retrieved 2019-05-05.
- "Nurse review of research councils". GOV.UK. Retrieved 2019-05-05.
- Ghosh, Pallab (2017-07-04). "UK Research Chief "Will Not Direct Science"". BBC News. Retrieved 2017-09-04.
- "Our Councils - UK Research and Innovation". www.ukri.org.
- Pells, Rachael (14 October 2017). "England's KEF: will it be a 'patent-counting' extra reporting burden?". Times Higher Education (THE). Retrieved 10 April 2018.