|Robert Redeleanu CEO|
Number of employees
UPC Romania is the second largest cable television operator in Romania (after RCS & RDS). UPC Romania provides broadband Internet, television and telephone services to 1.29 million customers. The company has more than 1.200 employees. It is owned by Liberty Global which is one of the main foreign investors in Romania, with investments of approximately 1 billion euros.
UPC Romania also offers a wide range of fixed line voice, broadband data & internet products, and hosting services to business customers ranging from SOHO customers to large multinational companies.
UPC Romania has operated on the Romanian market since 1992. In 2005, UPC Romania acquired Astral Telecom (a process that ended on October 1, 2006).
Founded in Cluj-Napoca as Astral Telecom S.A. in 1993, it is currently the owner of the largest cable network in Romania, and is also one of the most important Romanian ISPs, having about 900,000 customers (2005) and generating 25% of the web traffic in Romania.
Astral was rebranded in 2003 by Brandient, when it launched a new marketing image as well as the motto Created to evolve (Creat să evolueze in Romanian).
In 2005, Astral Telecom S.A. was bought for $420 million by UGC Europe and renamed UPC-Astral. At that time, UPC-Astral had 1.28 million customers for its TV cable service, 50,000 for the broadband (cable) Internet service and 30,000 for the phone-over-TV-cable service.
The beginning of UPC Romania
At the beginning of 2003, UPC merged by absorption with other seven TV stations in Romania. The absorbed companies were Aparatură Electronică Seltron Cluj-Napoca, Diplomatic International Comimpex Focșani, Control Cable Venture Ploiești, Somax Botoșani, Selektronic Sfântu Gheorghe, Portal Export-Import Cluj-Napoca and Multicanal Holding București. In 2005, UPC Romania became the first company that launched the digital TV service through cable.
Transactions made by UPC Romania
In October, UPC Holding acquired the Astral Telecom company  for 9 million euros. The next year, in April 2006, UPC took over Focus Sat, a DTH provider. A few months later, in October 2006, UPC merged by absorption with Astral Telecom and other 13 societies: Altnet SRL, Assist Internet SRL, Business Advisory Unit SRL, Astral Telecom Company, Canad Systems Internet SRL, Consultens Networking SRL, Euronet Group SRL, Genius Network System SRL, IT 4 Web SRL, Nextra Tele Com SRL, Rom West Electronic SRL, Satline Co SRL and Transilvania Telecom SRL. In October 2007, UPC completed the process of merging by absorption with Minisat Târgoviște, Control Ploiești and Media Post Dej. A year later, in October 2008, UPC merged by absorption with Electron M. Bit Telecom, Sebmar and Cablevision of Romania.
In July 2015, the General Manager of UPC Romania and Hungary, Severina Pascu, was appointed as manager of Libery Global group's operations in the Central and Eastern Europe, and her position was took over by Robert Redeleanu, Chief Marketing Officer UPC Romania until that time.
Products and services launched by UPC Romania
In 2008, UPC brought cable digital TV on the pan-European platform, with access to over 100 television programs at exquisite image and sound quality. During the same year, UPC Romania launched Digital Video Recorder (DVR), a service that completes the digital TV service, offering the customers the opportunity to pause, rewind and record the favorite shows in order to watch them later on (up to 150 hours of recorded content). In 2008, UPC Romania launched the 2Play services package, where analogical or digital TV subscribers also benefit from the UPC fixed telephony offerings.
In 2010, UPC Romania began offering for free the operating system Magic Desktop created for children. During the same year, UPC Romania announced the launch of a new product portfolio which allows combining television with any other Internet and/or telephony service, so that every customer creates their own service package (2Play or 3Play).
In May 2011, UPC launched for the first time the 3D technology, which changed the TV program viewing modality. 2011 is also the year in which UPC launched the Internet service with the highest download speeds available at the moment for the residential segment – up to 120 Mbps, through the Eurodocsis 3.0 Internet platform.
The year of 2012 also came with products and services launched by UPC Romania: in April 2012. UPC launched the Digital Card, a product based on the CI+ technology and that provides the digital TV benefits. Several months later, in June, UPC Romania launched Tech School, an educational platform dedicated to children that are passionate about technology. In October, UPC announced the launch of several services, such as Fiber Power 150 Mbps Internet, digital TV and customization options for customers. During the same year, UPC launched launches the TEKI remote control, a gadget inspired by children, which allows them to view educational and entertaining content, supporting at the same time parents who wish to protect their children from viewing inadequate programs for their age.
On September 2013, UPC established a new record by launching Internet with speeds up to 200 Mbps. Two months later, on November 2013, UPC Romania launched My UPC, a new online service through which subscribers can have quick access to different kinds of services provided by the company.
One year later, in 2014, the company announced new firsts when it comes to products and services - in August 2014, UPC announced the launch of the Internet 500 Mbps product  and on September, the company introduced the full customization of its package of services. During the same year, in October, UPC Romania launched the UPC Wi-Free service, which provides subscribers free and unlimited access to the Internet outside the house. On December 2014, the company launched the Horizon Go platform.
In March 2015, UPC Business, the division for company customers of UPC Romania, announced the launch of Cloud TV, an integrated solution of services mainly for company customers that operate in the hotel, health and wellness industries. The service offers the companies the opportunity to provide TV content on the internet platform for their customers, through a Smart TV. Starting the same year, UPC internet customers have access to 500 Mbps speeds through Wi-Fi, with the launch of the new state-of-the-art Connect Box modem.
During the following year, in September 2016, UPC Romania launched new service packages such as Connect 300 + Play Maxim, Connect 300 + Play Familia and Connect 500 + Familia, where customers benefit, among others, from unlimited calls in the UPC network and 300 – 500 Mbps internet, according to the package they choose. One month later, in October 2016, UPC Romania launched the HORIZON platform at national level, through which users can choose when and where to view their favorite programs, via the Replay function. The most popular programs are available 7 days after broadcast. both on the main TV and on mobile devices, and also through Horizon Go.
In 2009, UPC Romania extended its offer with TV Paprika, a gastronomic TV channel. In April 2009, the program for children Nickleodeon entered the UPC Digital TV schedule. One year later, in January 2011, the TLC television, dedicated to women, also entered the UPC schedule. On October 1, 2015, a new TV channel, TNT, entered the schedule of UPC Romania.
In August 2012, UPC Romania announced a new strategic partnership with Pro TV, for the distribution of the on demand online video service Voyo.ro. Four years later, in February 2016, UPC Romania and Huawei entered a strategic partnership for the management of network operations. The agreement includes the externalization of the maintenance of network and services at the locations of UPC Romania customers, the Huawei company taking over the responsibility for the field activity services. Several months later, in August 2016, UPC Romania and Discovery Romania announced the long-term extension of the distribution partnership. The agreement includes the Discovery and Eurosport integrated portfolio, including full transmissions for the Olympic Games starting from 2018. In February 2017, UPC Romania announced a partnership with Central European Media Enterprises (CME), the group that owns Pro TV, through which the telecommunication company's customers have access to the content of the Pro TV, Acasă, sport.ro, Pro Cinema and Acasă Gold channels, for 7 days from the initial broadcast. The content is available through the Replay TV function of the HORIZON platform.
In 2016, UPC Romania developed the "All for Kilimanjaro" project, the purpose of which, as its name also suggests, was the conquest of the Kilimanjaro mountain, the highest in Africa, by a team of 15 UPC employees. In order to be selected, the employees went through a series of challenges and they were evaluated in the end by a selected jury.
In 2010, UPC launched a new store concept at the beginning of 2010, located on Mihai Bravu Street in Bucharest.
Here you can find the list of UPC stores with program changes, relocation and other useful information.
In 2016, UPC Romania reported a turnover of more than 530 million lei for this year, and the number of customers reaches 1.3 million. In 2017, UPC Romania reported revenues of 178.4 million lei during Q1 2017, with a 5.8% growth as compare to the same period of the previous year, and the number of customers reaches 1.29 million.
In the first quarter of 2017, UPC Romania announced a total of 140,400 new subscriptions, as well as the expansion of the coverage area of digital services with almost 255,000 homes, an almost 10% growth as compared to Q1 2016.
Also in Q1 2017, the company announced a growth of 6.7% of the number of digital television customers, of 8.7% of the internet customers, and 17.5% more customers as compared to the same period of 2016. Moreover, in the first quarter of 2017, UPC Romania reported a growth of the net revenues of almost 6% in lei, as compared to the same quarter of last year.
At a global level, during the first quarter of 2017, Liberty Global reported revenues of 431 million dollars and a RGU growth of up to 244,000, 40% higher than during the same period of the previous year.
Digital Zoo (2009 – 2016): In 2009, UPC Romania launched its first CSR platform, together with Animal Planet and the Bucharest Zoological Garden. The project was an innovative educational concept through which the three partners tried to bring science closer to the public, via the internet.
Learning through theatre (2010 – 2011): The educational project is meant for children, parents and teachers and it is organized together with Ion Creangă Theatre. Children develop their personality and adopt learning mechanisms through a series of dramatic art workshops, under the supervision of a theater expert and a psychologist.
Virtual library (2011 – 2012): UPC supported an action through which approximately 40 rare papers belonging to the Romanian Academy Library became accessible to the general public on digital support.
Smart Nation (2012 – 2014): UPC Smart Nation was a platform dedicated to young people passionate about technology, the newest gadgets or applications.
Internet safety: UPC supports the protection of children in the online environment, especially on social networks, by sharing necessary tools for safe navigation on the internet. Over the years, UPC and Insafe, the EU organization that coordinates awareness activities for Internet security in Europe, launched several tools such as activity guides regarding the safe navigation on the internet or animated videos.
- As of June 30, 2014:
Revenue: $148.4 million 2.3 million homes passed 1.9 million service subscribers (RGUs): 1.2 million video subscribers, of which 515,000 are digital cable subscribers. Digital video services include DVR and HD. 407,000 broadband internet subscribers. Internet speeds range up to 500 Mbit/s. 305,000 telephony subscribers
- UPC was the first ISP in Romania that throttled peer-to-peer internet traffic (like DirectConnect, BitTorrent etc.)
- "About Us - Europe - Our Operations - Romania - Liberty Global". Liberty Global. Retrieved 2015-05-27.
- "VODAFONE TO ACQUIRE LIBERTY GLOBAL'S OPERATIONS IN GERMANY, THE CZECH REPUBLIC, HUNGARY AND ROMANIA". Vodafone Group. 9 May 2018.
- UPC a absorbit Cablevision of Romania si alte doua companii, November 28, 2008, zf.ro
- UPC preia controlul la Focus Sat, April 12, 2006, zf.ro
- UPC incheie preluarea Astral dupa un an de zile de la tranzactie, August 2, 2006, zf.ro, Adrian Stefan Seceleanu
- Severina Pascu, noul CEO al UPC Romania, November 11, 2010, wall-street.ro, Cristina Negraru
- CEO-ul UPC Romania preia si conducerea operatiunilor din Ungaria, August 6, 2013, dailybusiness.ro 2015
- UPC România are un nou director general, www.mediafax.ro, June 29, 2015
- Clientii UPC pot inregistra pana la 65 de ore de emisiuni TV, cu serviciul Digital Video Recorder, October 15, 2008, zf.rp, Adrian Seceleanu
- UPC lansează în premieră în România pachetul de servicii 2Play - televiziune și telefonie, November 11, 2008, bursa.ro, C.P.
- Da Vinci Learning, transmis prin cablu in Romania, 20 mai 2009, ziare.com
- UPC lanseaza televiziune HD in 32 de orase, in prima parte a lunii octombrie, September 11, 2009, zf.ro, Adrian Seceleanu
- UPC România relansează portofoliul de produse, September 16, 2010, bursa.ro, F.A.
- UPC, primul operator TV care introduce transmisii in format 3D in Romania, May 19, 2011, hotnews.ro
- UPC oferă Internet prin cablu cu viteză de până la 120 Mbps, March 31, 2011, money.ro, Michael Hirsh
- UPC a introdus o noua tehnologie de receptie a programelor TV digitale prin card, April 11, 2012, hotnews.ro
- UPC România a lansat Tech School, unde așteaptă pe toți tineri pasionați de tehnologie, 20 iunie 2012, capital.ro, Bogdan Biszok
- UPC a lansat Internetul Fiber Power de 150 Mbps, 1 octombrie 2012, capital.ro, Bogdan Biszok
- UPC Romania ii scuteste pe parinti de griji: are telecomanda TEKI pentru copii, June 11, playtech.ro, Luminița Nițoiu
- UPC pune in vanzare internet la viteze de pana la 200 Mbps in noua orase, incepand din 2 septembrie 2013, August 28, 2013, hotnews.ro
- UPC lansează o nouă platformă online. Cu My UPC îţi poţi plăti factura fără să ieşi din casă, November 12, 2013, adevarul.ro, Octavian Palade
- UPC lansează abonamentul de internet de 500 Mbps, August 21, 2014, capital.ro, Bogdan Biszok
- Oferta de toamnă a UPC: net cu upload la 25 Mbps şi download la 500 Mbps, apeluri nelimitate pe fix sau mobil şi personalizarea pachetelor, September 9, 2014, zf.ro
- Internet nelimitat în afara locuinței pentru clienții UPC printr-o rețea de acces fără fir, zf.ro
- Clienții UPC pot urmări programele de la TV și online de pe dispozitive mobile, December 17, 2014, zf.ro
- UPC a lansat serviciul Cloud TV pentru clienții business, March 20, 2015, zf.ro, Ioana Nita
- UPC a lansat în premieră la ZF Digital 15 Connect Box, un nou serviciu de WiFi care va fi oferit gratuit clienţilor, October 27, 2015, zf.ro, Ștefan Stan
- UPC a lansat o nouă ofertă de televiziune și internet, Septembrie 1 2016, gadgetreport.ro, Adrian Negrescu
- UPC a lansat platforma video Horizon, October 27, 2016, forbes.ro, Mihaela Dalar Stanca
- UPC a lansat TV Paprika, un canal de televiziune cu tematica gastronomica, May 7, 2009, hotnews.ro, C.M.
- Televiziunea pentru copii Nickelodeon s-a lansat în grila digitală a UPC România, April 6, 2010, mediafax.ro, Madalina Cerban
- Discovery lanseaza, joi, in Romania postul pentru femei TLC, January 20, 2011, hotnews.ro
- Televiziunea americană de filme și seriale TNT se va lansa pe 6 octombrie în România, September 28, 2015, mediafax.ro
- Pro TV S.A. și UPC au încheiat un parteneriat pentru distribuția Voyo, August 7, mediafax.ro, Madalina Cerban
- UPC România externalizează către Huawei managementul operațiunilor de rețea, February 19, 2016, zf.ro, Andrei Mazurchievici
- UPC și Discovery au reînnoit contractul de distribuție, August 2, 2016, capital.ro, Cosmin Bucșe
- UPC a încheiat un parteneriat cu Pro TV. Clienții au acces la conținut timp de 7 zile de la difuzare, February 7, 2017, capital.ro, Daniel Bob
- O companie în ascensiune… pe Kilimanjaro, December 20, 2016, hrmanageronline.ro
- UPC a investit 0,2 mil. euro in noul concept de magazin, January 26, 2010, zf.ro, Adrian Stefan Seceleanu
- UPC România a ajuns la 1,3 milioane de clienți în 2016. Creștere pe toate segmentele - internet, TV, telefonie, February 16, 2017, economica.net
- UPC, creștere de 5,8% la abonamente în T1 2017, peste media pieței. "Ne vom continua investițiile.", May 9, 2017, zf.ro, Adrian Seceleanu
- România: venituri în creştere cu 6%, în primul trimestru, până la 178,4 milioane lei, May 8, 2017, economica.net, News.ro
- Liberty Global Group's Q1 Operating Income Down 18%, May 7, 2017, http://markets.businessinsider.com, RTTNews
- Animalele din Grădina Zoologică București, live pe internet, September 23, 2009, mediafax.ro, Aurelia Alexa
- Teatrul, o alternativă inovativă la educația formală a copiilor, February 24, 2011, romanialibera.ro, Alexandra Jeles, Ioana Mareș
- S-a lansat Biblioteca virtuala a Academiei Romane ”Personalitati care au schimbat lumea”, March 29, 2011, hotnews.ro
- Tabara micilor genii din Romania. Elevii construiesc roboti si invata sa ajunga viitorul Bill Gates, September 4, 2013, stirileprotv.ro
- UPC lanseaza un ghid online al sigurantei pe Internet, February 11, 2009, wall-street.ro