USCGC Yamacraw (WARC-333)
USCGC Yamacraw (WARC-333) from Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships
|Name:||USCGC Yamacraw (WARC-333)|
|Builder:||Marietta Manufacturing Company, Point Pleasant, West Virginia|
|Laid down:||as Maj. Gen. Arthur Murray for the United States Army|
|Launched:||15 March 1945|
|Acquired:||20 June 1946|
|Fate:||Transferred to the US Navy, 17 April 1959|
|Class and type:||Chimo-class minelayer|
|Displacement:||1,320 long tons (1,341 t)|
|Length:||188 ft 2 in (57.35 m)|
|Beam:||37 ft (11 m)|
|Draft:||12 ft 6 in (3.81 m)|
|Speed:||12.5 knots (23.2 km/h; 14.4 mph)|
|Armament:||1 × 40 mm gun|
USCGC Yamacraw (WARC-333) was a Cable Repair Ship of the United States Coast Guard. Built for the Army Mine Planter Service as U. S. Army Mine Planter Maj. Gen. Arthur Murray (MP-8) and delivered December 1942. On 2 January 1945 the ship was acquired by the Navy and converted to an Auxiliary Minelayer by the Charleston Navy Yard to become the USS Trapper (ACM-9), commissioned 15 March 1945 the ship was headed to the Pacific when Japan surrendered. After work in Japanese waters the ship headed for San Francisco.
Transfer to the U.S. Coast Guard
USS Trapper was decommissioned and transferred to the United States Coast Guard in San Francisco on 20 June 1946 and struck from the Navy List on 19 July 1946. The former auxiliary minelayer served with the Coast Guard as a cable layer until early 1959 as Yamacraw (WARC-333).
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution Work
The ship was reacquired by the U.S. Navy on 17 April 1959 and commissioned in New York on 30 April 1959 as the Cable Repair Ship USS Yamacraw (ARC-5), 30 April 1959 until decommissioned 2 July 1965 and transferred to the Maritime Administration for disposal. Yamacraw was scrapped in 1969.
- http://shipbuildinghistory.com/history/smallships/armyminecraft.htm | WWII Construction - U.S. Army Mine Craft - MP, L and M
- http://www.uscg.mil/History/webcutters/Yamacraw_1947.pdf | U.S. Coast Gurard - USCGC Yamacraw, WARC-333
- http://dlaweb.whoi.edu/ships/yama.html | Vessels and Submarines owned, operated or leased by Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution - YAMACRAW (W333) 1957-1958
- NavSource. "USS Yamacraw (ARC 5)ex-USCGC Yamacraw (WARC 333)ex-USS Trapper (ACM 9)ex-USAMP Major General Arthur Murray". NavSource Online: Mine Warfare Vessel Photo Archive. Retrieved 10 November 2011.
- U.S. Coast Guard Historian's Office. Frequently Asked Questions. The Coast Guard in Films http://www.uscg.mil/history/FAQS/FilmIndex.asp Retrieved: 19 October 2015
- http://www.navsource.org/archives/11/0109.htm | NavSource
- Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships (DANFS) with photo
- United States Cast Guard site : Yamacraw, 1947
- Photo gallery of USCGC Yamacraw (WARC-333) at NavSource Naval History
- Cable laying and repair ships of the US Navy
- Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution - Yamacraw