USNS Kilauea (T-AE-26)
USNS Kilauea (T-AE-26)
|Name:||USNS Kilauea (AE-26)|
|Owner:||United States Navy|
|Operator:||Military Sealift Command|
|Awarded:||30 March 1965|
|Builder:||General Dynamics Quincy Shipbuilding Division|
|Laid down:||10 March 1966|
|Launched:||9 August 1967|
|Sponsored by:||Mrs. Michael J. Kirwan|
|Acquired:||12 June 1968|
|Commissioned:||10 August 1968|
|Decommissioned:||1 October 1980|
|In service:||1 October 1980|
|Identification:||IMO number: 8834079|
|Status:||Disposed as a target|
|Class and type:||Kilauea-class ammunition ship|
|Displacement:||11,915 tons (light) 20,169 tons (full)|
|Length:||561 ft (171 m)|
|Beam:||81 ft (25 m)|
|Draft:||31 ft (9.4 m)|
|Speed:||20 knots (37 km/h; 23 mph)|
|Armament:||Originally 4 x 2 3-inch/50 DP guns, later: 2 x 2 3-inch/50 DP guns and 2 x 1 CIWS Phalanx mounts|
Kilauea was laid down 10 March 1966 by General Dynamics Quincy Shipbuilding Division, Quincy, Massachusetts; launched 9 August 1967; sponsored by Mrs. Michael J. Kirwan, wife of Representative Michael J. Kirwan of Ohio. Kilauea was commissioned 10 August 1968 with Captain William L. McGonagle, USN commanding.
Kilauea was decommissioned and placed in service with the Military Sealift Command (MSC) as USNS Kilauea (T-AE-26) on 1 October 1980.
Kilauea was deployed to the Persian Gulf on August 23, 1990 as part of International Naval task force for Operation Desert Shield from 2 September 1990 to 20 January 1991 when she was assigned to the 3rd Marine Amphibious Group, The USS Theodore Roosevelt and USS Midway battlegroups for Operation Desert Storm from 20 January 1991 to April 17, 1991.
Kilauea was struck from the Naval Vessel Register in September 2008.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to USS Kilauea (AE-26).|
- Stevens, David (2007). Strength Through Diversity: The combined naval role in Operation Stabilise (PDF). Working Papers. 20. Canberra: Sea Power Centre - Australia. p. 14. ISBN 978-0-642-29676-4. ISSN 1834-7231. Retrieved 6 September 2010.
- Navsource.org: AE-26 / T-AE-26 Kilauea
- GlobalSecurity.org: T-AE 26 Kilauea
- Military Sealift Command: USNS KILAUEA (T-AE 26)
- This article incorporates text from the public domain Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships. The entry can be found here.
|This article about a specific ship or boat of the United States Armed Forces is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|