USNS Robert E. Peary (T-AKE-5)
|Name:||USNS Robert E. Peary|
|Awarded:||27 January 2004|
|Builder:||National Steel and Shipbuilding|
|Laid down:||12 December 2006 |
|Launched:||27 October 2007|
|Christened:||9 February 2008|
|In service:||5 June 2008 |
|Motto:||"King of the Team" |
|Status:||in active service|
|Class and type:||Lewis and Clark-class cargo ship|
|Propulsion:||Integrated propulsion and ship service electrical system, with generation at 6.6 kV by FM/MAN B&W diesel generators; one fixed pitch propeller; bow thruster|
|Speed:||20 knots (37 km/h)|
|Complement:||49 military, 123 civilian|
|Electronic warfare |
|Nulka decoy launchers|
|Aircraft carried:||two helicopters, MH-60S Knighthawk|
The contract to build Robert E. Peary was awarded to National Steel and Shipbuilding Company (NASSCO) of San Diego, California, on 27 January 2004. Her keel was laid down on 12 December 2006 and she was launched on schedule on 27 October 2007. However, the planned christening ceremony had to be delayed because of the local disruption caused by the October 2007 California wildfires.
In popular culture
- Based on data from the Naval Vessel Register and press releases.
- "USNS Robert E. Peary (T-AKE 5)". T-AKE Photo Gallery. National Steel and Shipbuilding Company (NASSCO). Archived from the original on 2012-05-09. Retrieved 2008-05-13.
- "General Dynamics NASSCO Delivers USNS Robert E. Peary". NASSCO. June 5, 2008. Archived from the original on September 27, 2011. Retrieved 2008-06-09.
- "USNS Robert E. Peary (T-AKE 5)". United States Army Institute of Heraldry. Retrieved 2010-03-07.
- "Navy to Christen USNS Robert E. Peary". Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense (Public Affairs), U.S. Dept. of Defense. February 5, 2008. Retrieved 2008-05-13.[dead link]
- "Fog delays dress rehearsal of aircraft carrier's arrival in Portsmouth". www.portsmouth.co.uk.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to USNS Robert E. Peary (T-AKE-5).|
- "USNS Robert E. Peary (T-AKE 5)". Naval Vessel Register. United States Navy. 2008-02-26. Retrieved 2008-05-13.
- "USNS Robert E. Peary (T-AKE 5)". Military Sealift Command Ship Inventory. United States Military Sealift Command. November 19, 2009. Archived from the original on 2010-06-05. Retrieved 2010-02-20.
- Priolo, Gary P. (29 February 2008). "T-AKE-5 Robert E. Peary". Service Ship Photo Archive. NavSource Online. Retrieved 2008-05-13.