USS Arlington (LPD-24)
USS Arlington (LPD-24) in August 2014
|Namesake:||Arlington County, Virginia|
|Awarded:||6 November 2006|
|Laid down:||26 May 2008|
|Launched:||23 November 2010|
|Sponsored by:||Mrs. Joyce Rumsfeld|
|Christened:||26 March 2011|
|Homeport:||Naval Station Norfolk|
|Status:||In active service, as of 2015|
|Class & type:||San Antonio-class amphibious transport dock|
|Displacement:||24,900 short tons (22,600 t) full|
|Draft:||23 ft (7.0 m)|
|Propulsion:||Four sequentially turbocharged Colt-Pielstick diesel engines, two shafts, 40,000 hp (30 MW)|
|Speed:||22 knots (41 km/h)|
|Boats & landing
|Capacity:||699 (66 officers, 633 enlisted); surge to 800 total; 14 Expeditionary Force vehicles|
|Complement:||32 officers, 332 enlisted|
|Aircraft carried:||Four CH-53E Super Stallion heavy lift helicopters may be launched or recovered simultaneously.|
USS Arlington (LPD-24), a San Antonio-class amphibious transport dock, is the third ship of the United States Navy to be named for Arlington, Virginia, the location of the Pentagon. Like her sister ships, USS New York and Somerset, she is named in commemoration of the September 11, 2001 attacks. Steel taken from the Pentagon after the September 11 attacks is displayed aboard in the ship's museum.
Arlington's keel was laid down on 26 May 2008, at Northrop Grumman's Ingalls shipyard in Pascagoula, Mississippi. Builder's Trials of the ship started on 21 August 2012. These were completed on 30 August 2012.
She completed Navy acceptance sea trials on 2 November 2012. The US Navy formally accepted the ship on 7 December 2012. Arlington arrived at her homeport of Naval Station Norfolk, VA on 22 March 2013 in preparation for commissioning. Officially, she was commissioned on 8 February 2013, but her ceremonial commissioning occurred on 6 April 2013 at Naval Station Norfolk, CDR Darren Nelson in command. Originally scheduled as the third ship of the San Antonio class; she was the 8th to be commissioned.
CDR Darren Nelson, OCT 2010 - FEB 2014
CDR Greg Baker, FEB 2014 - JUN 2015
CAPT Sean Bailey, JUN 2015–Present
- "Arlington". Naval Vessel Register. Naval Sea Systems Command Shipbuilding Support Office (NAVSHIPSO). 19 October 2010. Retrieved 5 December 2010.
- "Future USS Arlington Launched". Navy News Service. United States Navy. 24 November 2010. Retrieved 28 November 2010.
- McCaffrey, Scott (12 December 2010). "Christening of Future USS Arlington Set for Late March". Sun Gazette (Suburban Washington Newspapers Inc.). Retrieved 22 February 2011.
- "Secretary of the Navy (SECNAV) The Honorable Dr. Donald C. Winter speaks with Arlington County Board Chairman Walter Tejada during a ceremonial presentation of Pentagon steel.". Navy News Service. United States Navy. 11 September 2008. Retrieved 26 November 2010.
- Future USS Arlington Completes Acceptance Trials
- USS Arlington (LPD 24) history
- : U.S. Navy photo 130322-N-WA189-070
- USN Media Release: ARLINGTON Commissioned
- USS Arlington Lpd 24
- LPD-17 SAN ANONIO CLASS ALL YOU WANTED TO KNOW - AR15.Com Archive
- SNAFU!: Arlington (LPD 24), to be christened on 26 March
- "LPD 24 Arlington". Naval Sea Systems Command. United States Navy. 28 October 2009. Archived from the original on 4 April 2005. Retrieved 12 November 2009.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to USS Arlington (LPD-24).|
- Official USS Arlington (LPD-24) website
- Priolo, Gary P. (20 February 2009). "USS Arlington (LPD-24)". Amphibious Photo Archive. NavSource Online. Retrieved 28 November 2010.
- "ARLINGTON (LPD 24) Commissioning Committee Website".