USS Arlington (LPD-24)
USS Arlington in August 2014
|Namesake:||Arlington County, Virginia|
|Awarded:||6 November 2006|
|Laid down:||26 May 2008|
|Launched:||23 November 2010|
|Sponsored by:||Mrs. Joyce Rumsfeld|
|Christened:||26 March 2011|
|Homeport:||Naval Station Norfolk|
|Status:||In active service, as of 2015|
|Class and type:||San Antonio-class amphibious transport dock|
|Displacement:||24,900 short tons (22,600 t) full|
|Draft:||23 ft (7.0 m)|
|Propulsion:||Four sequentially turbocharged Colt-Pielstick diesel engines, two shafts, 40,000 hp (30 MW)|
|Speed:||22 knots (41 km/h)|
|Boats & landing
|Capacity:||699 (66 officers, 633 enlisted); surge to 800 total; 14 Expeditionary Force vehicles|
|Complement:||32 officers, 332 enlisted|
|Aircraft carried:||Four CH-53E Super Stallion heavy lift helicopters may be launched or recovered simultaneously.|
USS Arlington (LPD-24), a San Antonio-class amphibious transport dock, is the third ship of the United States Navy to be named for Arlington, Virginia, the location of the Pentagon. Like her sister ships, USS New York and Somerset, she is named in commemoration of the 11 September 2001 attacks. Steel taken from the Pentagon after the 11 September attacks is displayed aboard in the ship's museum.
Arlington's keel was laid down on 26 May 2008, at Northrop Grumman's Ingalls shipyard in Pascagoula, Mississippi. Builder's Trials of the ship started on 21 August 2012. These were completed on 30 August 2012.
She completed Navy acceptance sea trials on 2 November 2012. The US Navy formally accepted the ship on 7 December 2012. Arlington arrived at her homeport of Naval Station Norfolk, Virginia on 22 March 2013 in preparation for commissioning. Officially, she was commissioned on 8 February 2013, but her ceremonial commissioning occurred on 6 April 2013 at Naval Station Norfolk, CDR Darren Nelson in command. Originally scheduled as the third ship of the San Antonio class; she was the eighth to be commissioned.
The San Antonio-class ships have been plagued by construction problems.
CDR Darren Nelson, OCT 2010 - FEB 2014
CDR Greg Baker, FEB 2014 - JUN 2015
CAPT Sean Bailey, JUN 2015 – SEP 2016
CAPT Patrick J. Hannifin, SEP 2016 - Present
- "USS Arlington (LPD 24)". Naval Vessel Register. Naval Sea Systems Command Shipbuilding Support Office (NAVSHIPSO). Retrieved 25 July 2016.
- "Future USS Arlington Launched". Navy News Service. United States Navy. 24 November 2010. Retrieved 28 November 2010.
- McCaffrey, Scott (12 December 2010). "Christening of Future USS Arlington Set for Late March". Sun Gazette. Suburban Washington Newspapers Inc. Retrieved 22 February 2011.
- "Secretary of the Navy (SECNAV) The Honorable Dr. Donald C. Winter speaks with Arlington County Board Chairman Walter Tejada during a ceremonial presentation of Pentagon steel.". Navy News Service. United States Navy. 11 September 2008. Retrieved 26 November 2010.
- "LPD 24 Completes Successful Builder's Sea Trials". Naval Sea Systems Command Team Ships Public Affairs. 30 August 2012. Archived from the original on 24 February 2013. Retrieved 3 January 2013.
- Naval Sea Systems Command Public Affairs (5 November 2012). "Future USS Arlington Completes Acceptance Trials" (Press release). United States Navy. Retrieved 13 March 2016.
- "USS Arlington (LPD 24) history". uscarriers.net. Retrieved 13 March 2016.
- U.S. Navy photo 130322-N-WA189-070
- Brown, Eric (6 April 2013). "In Emotional Ceremony, USS Arlington Joins the Fleet" (Press release). United States Navy. Retrieved 13 March 2016.
- LPD-17 San Antonio Class All You Wanted to Know - AR15.Com Archive Archived 12 August 2014 at the Wayback Machine.
- "LPD 24 Arlington". Naval Sea Systems Command. United States Navy. 28 October 2009. Archived from the original on 4 April 2005. Retrieved 12 November 2009.
- This article includes information collected from the Naval Vessel Register, which, as a U.S. government publication, is in the public domain. The entry can be found here.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to USS Arlington (LPD-24).|
- Official USS Arlington (LPD-24) website
- Priolo, Gary P. (20 February 2009). "USS Arlington (LPD-24)". Amphibious Photo Archive. NavSource Online. Retrieved 28 November 2010.
- "ARLINGTON (LPD 24) Commissioning Committee Website".