From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
USS Iowa may refer to several vessels:
U.S. military vessels
- USS Ammonoosuc (1864), a monitor that was never commissioned and was renamed Iowa before being sold
- USS Iowa (BB-4), a battleship that saw action during the Spanish–American War
- USS Iowa (BB-53), a battleship already under construction when she was canceled by the Washington Naval Treaty
- USS Iowa (BB-61), the lead ship of the Iowa-class battleships that saw action during World War II and the Korean War
- USS Iowa (SSN-797), a planned Virginia-class submarine
- Iowa (steamboat), 1838, a Mississippi River boat that transported troops during the Civil War
Non-military vessels named Iowa
- SS Iowan
- A stern-wheel rafter/packet named Iowa plied the Mississippi 1865-1900.
- A stern-wheel towboat named Iowa operated in the Mississippi 1921-1954; a contemporaneous dredge named Iowa also existed 1932-1956.
- An ocean-going steamer named Iowa was in use in the late 19th century.
- In 1898 an excursion steamboat named Iowa was launched in Independence, Iowa, after several years as a popular attraction, it was carried over the Independence dam by high water and was demolished.
|This article includes a list of ships with the same or similar names. If an internal link for a specific ship led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended ship article, if one exists.|