USS Midway Museum
Midway prepares to moor at her final resting place at Navy pier in San Diego where she will become the largest museum devoted to carriers and naval aviation. (10 January 2004)
The USS Midway Museum is a maritime museum located in downtown San Diego, California at Navy Pier. The museum consists of the aircraft carrier Midway (CV-41). The ship houses an extensive collection of aircraft, many of which were built in Southern California.
The USS Midway was America's longest-serving aircraft carrier of the 20th century, from 1945 to 1992. Approximately 200,000 sailors served aboard the carrier, known for several naval aviation breakthroughs as well as several humanitarian missions. It was the only carrier to serve the entire length of the Cold War and beyond. It is now berthed in San Diego, the original home of the Navy's TOPGUN fighter school.
Midway opened as a museum on 7 June 2004. By 2012 annual visitation exceeded 1 million visitors. As of 2015 Midway is the most popular naval warship museum in the United States. The museum has over 13,000 members, and hosts more than 700 events a year, including more than 400 active-duty Navy retirements, re-enlistments, and changes of command. The museum also hosts approximately 50,000 students on field trips and 5,000 children in its overnight program annually.
Admission includes a self-guided audio tour, narrated by former Midway sailors to more than 60 locations, including sleeping quarters, engine room, galley, bridge, brig, post office, foc's'le, pilots' ready rooms, officers quarters, primary flight control, and "officers country". Other features include climb-aboard aircraft and cockpits, videos, flight simulators, and a narrated audio tour for youngsters.
The museum is berthed at Navy Pier which has more than 300 parking spaces. It also is within walking distance of public transportation and other downtown San Diego waterfront attractions.
In addition to private events, the museum has become a popular media venue. In 2012 it hosted a nationally broadcast NCAA basketball game between San Diego State University and Syracuse University. American Idol has filmed an episode on Midway, as have the Travel Network, Discovery Channel, FOX News, The Bachelor, Extreme Makeover, History Channel, and Military Channel.
- Ogden, Bob. Aviation Museums and Collections of North America, Sudbourne, England, 2007. ISBN 978-0851303857.
- Parker, Dana T. Building Victory: Aircraft Manufacturing in the Los Angeles Area in World War II, Cypress, CA, 2013. ISBN 978-0-9897906-0-4.
- McGaugh, Scott (2004). Midway Magic. New York: CDS Books.
- Perry, Tony (August 29, 2015). "San Diego museum to unveil replica of explorer Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo's ship". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 8 September 2015.
- "USS Midway Museum". Retrieved 5 March 2013.
- Media related to USS Midway Museum at Wikimedia Commons
- USS Midway Museum official website
- A podcast from Speaking of History about a tour of the USS Midway in July 2006
- Pictures of aircraft on display at the USS Midway