USS Minnesota (SSN-783)
USS Minnesota (SSN-783) departs Norfolk in January 2014
|Namesake:||The state of Minnesota|
|Awarded:||14 August 2003|
|Builder:||Newport News Shipbuilding|
|Laid down:||20 May 2011|
|Sponsored by:||Ellen Roughead|
|Christened:||27 October 2012|
|Acquired:||6 June 2013|
|Commissioned:||7 September 2013|
|Motto:||Ex Septentrio Virtus ("From the North, power")|
|Status:||in active service|
|Class and type:||Virginia-class submarine|
|Displacement:||app. 7800 long tons (7925 metric tons) submerged|
|Length:||114.9 meters (377 feet)|
|Beam:||10.3 meters (34 feet)|
|Speed:||25 knots (46 km/h)|
|Range:||Essentially unlimited distance; 33 years|
|Test depth:||greater than 800 feet (250 meters)|
|Complement:||134 officers and men|
USS Minnesota (SSN-783) is a fast attack submarine, the 10th of the planned 48-boat Virginia-class. It is the third United States Navy vessel named for the state of Minnesota, and the first to bear the name since 1921. Minnesota was laid down on 20 May 2011, and christened on 27 October 2012 in a ceremony attended by many top ranking officials in the U.S. Navy and Congress. On 6 June 2013, Huntington Ingalls Industries announced that Minnesota had been delivered to the Navy, nearly 11 months ahead of schedule. Minnesota was commissioned on 7 September 2013, but has spent little time at sea as she has been in port undergoing repairs for almost 2 years. A defective part was discovered, due to poor welding. The same issue has been discovered on two other boats in the class. The Navy is now examining other ships for the same issue and the U.S. Justice Department is investigating the contractor responsible for the problems.
NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (20 May 2011) Chief of Naval Operations (CNO) Adm. Gary Roughead, and the ship's sponsor, Ellen Roughead, at the keel laying ceremony of Minnesota.
The crew of the USS Minnesota mans the ship during her commissioning at Norfolk Naval Base on 7 September 2013.
- Naval Sea Systems Command Public Affairs (20 May 2011). "Navy Lays Keel for PCU Minnesota". Navy News Service. Retrieved 20 May 2011.
- Frost, Peter, "Newport News Shipyard Will Lay Keel Of Submarine Minnesota On Friday", Newport News Daily Press, 20 May 2011.
- Submarine Minnesota Delivered On Budget and Ahead of Schedule - Globenewswire.com, 6 June 2013
- "How a $2.7 Billion Submarine Was Crippled by Defective Parts". Retrieved 2 April 2016.
- This article includes information collected from the Naval Vessel Register, which, as a U.S. government publication, is in the public domain. The entry can be found here.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to USS Minnesota (SSN-783).|