US Southwest Soaring Museum
|US Southwest Soaring Museum|
|Location||Moriarty, New Mexico, United States|
The US Southwest Soaring Museum is an aviation museum, located at 918 E US Route 66, in Moriarty, New Mexico, United States that focuses on the history of gliding in the western United States.
The museum states its aims as preserving and presenting the history and legacy of soaring; promoting an increased understanding of mathematics and the physical sciences through educational exhibits and programs; sponsoring aeronautical research programs relating to solar-powered flight; communicating an inspirational story of innovation and discovery for the New Mexico schoolchildren, the citizens of NM and visitors passing through the state and motivating others to experience the wonder of flight
The museum was conceived in 1995 and opened in 2006. Founding president George Applebay and a ten-person volunteer board of directors spent ten years assembling the collection of more than 40 gliders and models and finding a location for the museum.
The museum has an extensive collection of gliders, including:
- Applebay Zia motorglider
- Advanced Soaring Concepts Falcon
- Bensen B-8 Gyroglider
- Bowlus Super Albatross
- Cascade Kasperwing I-80 ultralight motor glider
- DFS Olympia
- DFS Weihe
- DSK Duster prototype
- Frankfort Cinema - 2
- Fibera KK-1e Utu
- Franklin PS-2
- LAK Genesis 2
- Glasflügel 303 Mosquito motorglider
- Hall Cherokee II
- Hall Cherokee RM
- Hoey-Johnson BG-12B
- Laister LP-46
- Laister-Kauffman TG-4 (LK10A)
- Mitchell B-10 flying wing
- Monnett Monerai
- Moore SS-1
- Nelson Hummingbird PG-185B motorglider
- Primary Glider Northrup primary glider
- Oldershaw O-2
- Oldershaw O-3
- Santee SA-3/KA-3
- Schweizer SGS 1-26
- Schweizer SGS 1-34
- Schweizer SGS 2-12
- Schweizer SGU 2-22
- Slingsby Kestrel
- Slingsby T.21 RAF Sedbergh T.X. Mk. 1
- Slingsby Tandem Tutor RAF Kirby Cadet T.X. Mk. 3
- Scanlan SG-1A
- Schleicher ASW 15
- Schleicher Ka-4 Rhonlerche - 2
- Schleicher Ka 6CR PE
- Schleicher Ka 6e
- Schreder HP-11
- Schreder HP-18
- Stamer Lippisch SG-38 Zögling primary glider fuselage - replica
- Seagull hang glider
- UFM Easy Riser ultralight
- Ultralight Products hang glider
- Wills Wing hang glider
- Staff (29 April 2010). "Hall Inducts Two Aviation Legends". Mountain View Telegraph. Retrieved 10 March 2015.
- US Southwest Soaring Museum (2010). "What's New". Retrieved 25 May 2011.
- City of Moriarty Government (n.d.). "Civic Center". Retrieved 25 May 2011.
- Soaring Society of America (July 2007). "Affiliates & Divisions". Retrieved 25 May 2011.
- US Southwest Soaring Museum (2010). "Sailplanes, Hang Gliders & Motor Gliders". Retrieved 24 May 2011.