uShaka Marine World
|Date opened||30 April 2004|
|Location||Durban, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa|
|Land area||16 hectares (40 acres)|
|No. of animals||10,000 (2010)|
|Total volume of tanks||4.6 million US gallons (17,000 m3)|
|Annual visitors||790,433 (2010)|
uShaka Marine World is a 16-hectare (40-acre) theme park that opened on 30 April 2004 in Durban, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. It has a total capacity of 4.6 million gallons containing 10,000 animal species.
Designed by American firm Creative Kingdom Inc. Shaka Marine World opened on 30 April 2004 after 3 years of development. In 2005, the park was awarded for "Outstanding Achievement in thematic creative design" by the Themed Entertainment Association.
The park was built at a cost of ZAR 700-million and has been subsidized for a total of ZAR 450-million by the eThekwini Municipality. In the 2009-2010 financial year, the park suffered a net loss of ZAR 44.5-million, and a total deficit of ZAR 377.5-million. There were also irregular expenditures (expenditures which did not undergo normal procurement procedures) of ZAR 3.15-million on the park.
- "About Us". ushakamarineworld.co.za. Retrieved 9 July 2011.
- "Durban Marine Them Park (Pty) Ltd. Trading as uShaka Marine World Annual Report" (PDF). durban.gov.za. Archived from the original (PDF) on 27 September 2011. Retrieved 9 July 2011.
- "The 10 Biggest Aquariums In The World (Ranked By Size)". TheTravel. 7 September 2019. Retrieved 28 December 2021.
- "These are The 15 Largest Aquariums in the World". Luxatic. 13 October 2021. Retrieved 28 December 2021.
- "uShaka Marine World". southafrica.net. Retrieved 9 July 2011.
- Tolsi, Niren (4 February 2011). "Durban bleeds municipal funds". Mail & Guardian. Retrieved 9 July 2011.
Cite error: A list-defined reference named "zoo_map" is not used in the content (see the help page).
Cite error: A list-defined reference named "cargo_hold" is not used in the content (see the help page).
Cite error: A list-defined reference named "upper_deck" is not used in the content (see the help page).