|Type of business||Private|
Type of site
|Online services auction|
|Headquarters||Austin, Texas, U.S.|
|Registration||Required to list, bid and transport items|
uShip, Inc. is an Austin, Texas-based Internet company that operates uShip.com, an online marketplace for shipping services. Individuals and businesses post items they need shipped in a variety of categories, including auto transport, boat shipping, moving services, and the transport of heavy industrial equipment.
Transportation service providers on uShip place competing bids for the right to haul a customer's shipment. For some categories, including boats, autos and less-than-truckload (LTL) freight, customers can select an upfront quote for transport services or enter an acceptable price to be matched with a transporter. Customers can book a shipment immediately from these quotes or opt to wait for auction bids, similar to eBay’s ‘buy it now’ feature.
CEO and founder Matthew Chasen developed the business plan for uShip while enrolled in the MBA program at the University of Texas McCombs School of Business with co-founders Jay Manickam and Mickey Millsap. In 2004, the uShip team competed in several business competitions, winning first prize at the University of North Texas, and runner-up at the Venture Labs Investment Competition (formerly the US MOOT Corp Competition) in 2004. Shortly thereafter, uShip.com was launched in the United States and received funding from Benchmark Capital in 2005.
In 2012, uShip became the subject of a reality television series aired by A&E known as Shipping Wars, which follows a group of independent shippers who compete to bid on and deliver shipments through uShip.
uShip has developed a Shipping Price Estimator which provides estimates for transport services based on a weighted average of similar goods transported over similar distances on the uShip marketplace.
In 2009, uShip entered a partnership with Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers, the world’s largest auctioneer of heavy equipment, to provide real-time estimates and quotes for transportation of industrial equipment and vehicles being sold at auctions.
Awards and recognition
- Greater Austin Business Awards – Environment Category Winner (2011)
- Inc. 500 Fastest-Growing Private Companies (2010)
- Red Herring’s North America 100 List (2010)
- Top Workplaces – Austin American Statesman (2010, 2011, 2012)
- Mangalindan, Mylene (2003-03-23). "Consumers Buy Furniture, Even Refrigerators on the Internet". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 2009-05-08.
- Alsever, Jennifer. "A $6 Million Cargo Cult". CNN. Retrieved 11 April 2012.
- Giselle, Greenwood (2005-06-24). "Online shipping startup receives funding". Austin Business Journal. Retrieved 2009-05-08.
- "Austin's uShip takes its act to TV". Austin Business Journal. Retrieved 27 October 2012.
- Steiner, Ina. "uShip Launches Shipping Price Estimator". AuctionBytes. Retrieved 11 April 2012.
- "Ritchie Bros. Partners with uShip to Offer Quotes". GX. Forester Media. 2009-02-16. Archived from the original on May 26, 2009. Retrieved 2009-06-22.
- "Shipping Marketplace uShip Is Now Integrated with eBay Motors". AuctionBytes. Retrieved 11 April 2012.
- "Signature Events : Events : Membership : The Greater Austin Chamber of Commerce". austinchamber.com. Retrieved 4 December 2014.
- "uShip Company Profile – Inc. 500". Inc.
- "Red Herring Top 100 North America".
- "Austin Top Workplaces". Austin Statesman.