UWC Mahindra College
|Mahindra United World College India|
|Type||Independent, Coeducational, Boarding|
|Motto||UWC makes education a force to unite people, nations and cultures for peace and a sustainable future|
|Head of College||Pelham Lindfield Roberts|
|Number of students||240, (boarding)|
|Student to teacher ratio||9:1|
|Campus||Rural, 175 acres (0.71 km2)|
AAAAA(Careers360 2016)1# Boarding School in Maharashtra
UWC Mahindra College is an pre-university International Boarding School, located 40 km west of Pune in Maharashtra, India. It follows the International Baccalaureate (IB). It is one of the 16 United World Colleges. Established in 1997, By the patron of Mahindra Group, Harish Mahindra. The Chirman of Mahindra Group, Anand Mahindra is the current Chairman of the School. The college is a two-year programme with about 250 full-time boarders.
On 28 November 1997, Queen Noor of Jordan and Nelson Mandela inaugurated the UWC Mahindra College in India as one of the now sixteen United World Colleges (UWC) and the third UWC in Asia. The school was largely funded by donations (approximately US $8m) from the Mahindra family, especially Harish Mahindra.
The founding Head of College, David Wilkinson, had previously founded the Li Po Chun United World College in Hong Kong together with his wife Veronica Wilkinson. In 2009, Jonathan Long became the Head of the College. Since 2011, Pelham Lindfield Roberts has been the Head of College.
The college is located near the village of Paud in the Taluka Mulshi region of the western state of Maharashtra, India. It is around 40 km from the city of Pune (which, in turn, is around 100 km south-east of Mumbai). The MUWCI campus is situated on a hill surrounded by rural communities and overlooking the valley of the Mula river near Mulshi Dam.
The living Quarters are divided into Residential Colleges called "Vadas". The Vada`s each are headed by Housemasters known as House Parents, Who are also part of the teaching staff.
The campus is divided into a residential and an academic area. The campus of the school was designed by architect Christopher Charles Benninger. The design incorporates traditional elements and local building materials.
- Group 1: The Students' Best Language - English Literature (HL/SL), English Literature and Language (HL/SL), English Literature and Performance (SL), Spanish Literature (HL/SL), Hindi Literature (HL/SL), Language Self-Taught (HL/SL)
- Group 2: Modern Language Acquisition - English B (HL/SL), Hindi B (HL), Beginner's Hindi (SL), Spanish B (HL/SL), Beginner's Spanish (SL)
- Group 3: Individuals and Societies - Psychology (HL/SL), Philosophy (HL/SL), Global Politics (HL), History (HL/SL), Economics (HL/SL)
- Group 4: Experimental Sciences - Physics (HL), Chemistry (HL/SL), Biology (HL/SL), Environmental Systems and Societies (SL), Computer Science (HL/SL).
- Group 5: Mathematics - Mathematics (HL/SL), Mathematical Studies (1 year or 2 years) (SL)
- Group 6: The Arts - Visual Arts (HL/SL), Film Studies (HL/SL), Theater (HL/SL). Apart from formal subjects, the CAS component (known as Triveni at MUWCI) forms a significant part of the students' educational learning experience.
Apart from this the colege also offers the Cambridge Program.
Students in UWC Mahindra College represent many different nationalities. The batch of 2014-2015 represents over 56 countries.
Students are nominated to Mahindra UWC college by the United World College Committe of India after a rigorous Selection Process. The application process starts in mid-August and is adminitered by the UWC Commitee.The candidates are shortlisted based on merit and are invited to attend the UWC Selection Camp,a comprehensive Two-Day long event, which is held at MUWCI campus in Pune. During the camp various activities are conducted including panel interviews, Group Discussions, Sports, Object-Presentation or Public Speaking and various written and computer based exams.
Based on the students performance the commitees nominates students to Mahindra UWC.
David Wilkinson was the founding Head of College since the inception of UWC Mahindra College in 1997. In 2009, Jonathan Long was appointed as the Head of College and remained until 2011 when Pelham Lindfield Roberts joined.
- Malaika Vaz (1997 - )
- www.careers360.com. "Top Schools in Maharashtra 2016". Retrieved 2017-02-11.
- Miller 2005, p. 23. (more information here)
- Business Week/Architectural Record award
- "UWC Mahindra College - Academics". UWC Mahindra College. UWC Mahindra College. Retrieved 19 August 2014.
- "The International Baccalaureate Diploma". Components of the IB Diploma. Mahindra UWC of India. Retrieved 19 August 2014.
- IB Diploma Programme#Subject groups
- A message from the Board of Governors of UWCMC