Medawela delivering a speech at a US-Sri Lanka event
|Born||Kegalle, Sri Lanka|
|Service/||Sri Lanka Army|
|Years of service||1981 - 2016|
|Unit||Sri Lanka Armoured Corps|
Chief of Staff of Sri Lanka Army |
Military Adviser to Sri Lanka mission to the United Nations in New York
Sri Lankan Civil War|
Rana Sura Padakkama|
Vishista Seva Vibhushanaya
Uttama Seva Padakkama
|Other work||Nature Conservation and Wild Life Protection, Cross Culture Communication for Harmony|
Ubaya received his education from Nalanda College Colombo (where he was a Senior Cadet) alongside peers such as Air Chief Marshal Gagan Bulathsinghala, Major General Ajith Wickramasinghe, Udaya Ranawaka and former Sri Lanka test cricketer Sanath Kaluperuma. He is a graduate of the New Zealand Defence College and the University of Madras, holding a MSc in Defence and Strategic Studies with an Instructor Grading.
Medawela enlisted in the army in 1981, receiving his commission on 18 July 1982 as a 2nd Lieutenant and posted to the Sri Lanka Armoured Corps. He was the commander 554 Infantry Brigade in Kilaly, Jaffna and later became Centre Commandant of the Armoured Corps.
In 1995, he was appointed commander to the 1st Reconnaissance Regiment and also held the appointments of Military Assistant to the Commander of the Army and Aide-de-camp to a General Officer Commanding.
Medawala has followed overseas career military courses in India, Pakistan, Singapore, Czech Republic, China and the USA.
- Major General Ubaya Medawela Appointed New Chief of Staff
- මම ඉපදුණේ ගුවන් යානයකද කියලා බොහෝ දෙනෙක් අහනවා
- Nalanda College Alumni (Sri Lanka Army)
- Military begins operation rebuild
- Army's healthy food campaign
- Maj Gen Medawela appoints as military adviser to SL mission in UN
- Maj Gen Medawela appointed military adviser to SL mission in UN
- "Over 60 killed in Sri Lanka explosives depot blast". Channel NewsAsia. Sep 17, 2010. Retrieved 6 March 2011.
- "Foundation laid for the 'Real Star' winner's house". Ministry of Defence, Public Security, Law & Order - Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka. March 6, 2011. Retrieved 6 March 2011.
- "Nearly 1,000 families left to be resettled in EP". The Islanda Upali Newspapers. March 2, 2011. Retrieved 6 March 2011.
- Damages caused by recent riots Rs 400 M – Azath Salley
- Rajitha’s Lone Battle Against BBS
- Share, Like And Honor Our Heroes! CHAMPIONS AT HERMAN LOOSE CAMP '13 Nalanda College, Colombo, Sri Lanka
| Chief of Staff of the Sri Lanka Army
November 2016 - March 2017