This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (February 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Uberfic (short for uber fanfic, uberXena) or simply uber, über, or ueber (from German: über-, for 'over-' or 'supra-') is a genre of alternate universe fan fiction in which characters or events are portrayed somewhat closely to original canon but usually in a different time period, place, or reality, many times featuring the ancestors, descendants, or reincarnations of canon characters, known as uber-characters. The uber-characters' names are never canon. The term originated in Xena: Warrior Princess fandom, coined in 1997 by Kym Taborn, the webmaster of the fansite Whoosh.org. This sort of story was used by the series itself, beginning with the second season episode "The Xena Scrolls". A common trend in Xena fanfics was to write Uber stories in which the characters' analogues discover that they are soulmates.
- *Whoosh.org - The International Association of Xena Studies (IAXS)
- Lunacy (2006-02-26). "Definitions". Archived from the original on 2007-01-27. Retrieved 2007-02-04.
- Whatever Turns You On: Becoming-Lesbian and the Production of Desire in the Xenaverse
- Reason magazine article, "The fan fiction phenomena: what Faust, Hamlet, and Xena the Warrior Princess have in common"
- Knight Ridder newswire article, "In character: Fan fiction begins where TV series and movies end"
- The State newspaper article, "A Dictionary of Fan Fiction"