The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for web content. (July 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Type of site
|Created by||Anna-Clara Blixt Modin, Thomas Flores, Fredrik Johansson|
Ubetoo was a social networking website aimed towards musicians and filmmakers who want to earn money from their work. The service was divided in streaming and distribution.
Monetized music and video streaming
All music and videos on Ubetoo Streaming were free to listen to and watch. Financing was done through advertising. The service was open only to artists who are not tied with the film, record labels or music publishers, if they do not have their permission. Each time a unique visitor played a song or video guaranteed by the author to a fraction of monthly income. On May 27, 2011, 9600 artists had uploaded a total of 44,000 contributions on the site.
Digital music distribution
Any streaming member on Ubetoo can upgrade to a digital music distribution account to sell their music on digital music download services like iTunes, Amazon MP3, Napster, Spotify, eMusic, Beatport and more than 500 other music services around the globe. The distribution service is subject to a charge and open to either unsigned artists or independent labels.
The company, Ubetoo AB was founded in 2008 by Anna-Clara Blixt Modin as a subsidiary of North European entertainment industry job portal StagePool AB. Behind the boot is the company's CEO, Anna-Clara Blixt Modin and Development Director Thomas Flores, who also founded the parent company StagePool. Operational partners by StagePool and Ubetoo include Kristofer Arwin (Pricerunner) and Ola Lauritzson (GI Viktkoll) but also Björn Ulvaeus and Joop van den Ende.
On June 13, 2014, it was announced via Twitter that Ubetoo would be shutting down.
Ubetoo was a much similar service to the service run by mp3.com in the early years after year 2000.
- Ubetoo.com [@ubetoo] (13 June 2014). "Ubetoo to close down its services After several years of offering a unique music distribution service for new and..." (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Advertisements make free music pay off, Ericsson, 2008-12-19
- New music is free for the user while the artist gets paid, Dagens Nyheter, 2008-10-06 (Google tr)
- Swedish Ubetoo pays fees for free music, Realtid, 2008-12-09 (Google tr)
- The Music site Ubetoos royalty payments grow, Musikindustrin, 2008-11-27 (Google tr)
- ABBA Bjorn caught on, IDG, 2008-10-14 (Google tr)
- Ubetoo, the unsigned musician's friend, Nyheter24.se (Google tr)
- Pays the unsigned artists, Musikindustrin, 2008-10-09 (Google tr)
- Shutdown Announcement 2014-06-13