Ubu Productions, Inc., is an independent production company founded in 1982 by television producer Gary David Goldberg. Ubu's notable productions include Family Ties (1982–1989), Brooklyn Bridge (1991–1993), and Spin City (1996–2002).
Ubu's mascot is Goldberg's dog Ubu Roi, a black labrador retriever which he had in college and subsequently traveled the world with. The closing tag for Ubu Productions is a photograph of Ubu Roi with a flying disc in his mouth, taken in the Tuileries Garden close to the Louvre Museum in Paris. Along with the picture is Goldberg's voice saying "Sit, Ubu, sit! … Good dog!", followed by the sound of a bark. The dog was named after Alfred Jarry's play Ubu Roi (1896), considered a precursor to the Theatre of the Absurd. Ubu the dog died in 1984.
In popular culture
The sequence was frequently referenced and parodied in pop culture. For instance:
- Goldberg's autobiography is titled, Sit, Ubu, Sit: How I Went from Brooklyn to Hollywood with the Same Woman, the Same Dog, and a Lot Less Hair (2008)
- In the 1990s, the animated Romantic Comedy, Super Mario Animaniacs had a running gag where Yakko, Wakko, and Dot would always do stingers, though it's mostly "Sit Ubu, sit. Good dog."
- In a 2010 episode of the cartoon Batman: The Brave and the Bold, Batman's sidekick, Robin, overcomes Ras al Ghul's head henchman, Ubu, and utters the line "Sit, Ubu. Sit".
- in Season 1, Episode 8 of Bojack Horseman, Ubu is referred to as "the guy who sits".
- In the television series Dharma & Greg, producer and show co-creator Chuck Lorre ended each episode with a briefly shown "vanity card" really only visible by recording the program and then pausing the playback in order to read it. Dharma & Greg#Vanity cards With vanity card #7, shown at the end of Dharma & Greg episode "Dharma's Tangled Web" (1998), Lorre references the sequence "Sit, Ubu, sit" as a possible explanation for the secret of life.
- In the Family Guy episode "Running Mates" (2000), Peter Griffin says the line "Sit, Ubu, sit!…Good dog!".
- In the Family Guy episode "Turban Cowboy", Ubu is mentioned and considered a good dog, even though he never sat.
- In the Robot Chicken episode "Easter Basket", Seth Green's voice says the line "Sit, Ubu, sit!…Bad dog!", followed by the sound of a gunshot and a dog whimper.
- In a 2010 episode of Psych[which?] a character played by Mena Suvari said "Sit Ubu Sit" while holding the main characters Shawn and Gus hostage.
- The March 1, 2011 episode of Tosh.0 closed with Daniel Tosh saying "Sit, Ubu, sit. Good dog".
- The line is mentioned by Wayne Brady on Whose Line Is It Anyway? where Brad Sherwood imitates a rabid dog.