|Developer||Ubuntu Budgie team|
|Source model||Open source (with some exceptions)|
|Initial release||25 April 2016Ubuntu flavour; as unofficial |
16 November 2016 as an official Ubuntu flavour
|Latest release||Ubuntu Budgie 18.10 / 18 October 2018|
|Marketing target||Personal computers|
|Update method||APT (Software Updater, GNOME Software)|
|Package manager||dpkg, Snappy|
|Kernel type||Monolithic (Linux)|
|Default user interface||Budgie|
|License||Free software licenses|
Ubuntu Budgie (formerly Budgie-Remix) is an official community flavor of Ubuntu featuring the Budgie desktop. It combines the stable and thoroughly-tested Ubuntu core with a modern, lightweight and traditional-looking desktop developed by the Solus project.
Ubuntu Budgie started out as an unofficial community flavor in parallel with Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, referred to as budgie-remix. Budgie-remix 16.10 was later released by strictly following the time frame issued for Ubuntu 16.10.
It was eventually recognized as an official community flavor of Ubuntu, and was rebranded as Ubuntu Budgie.
Vincenzo Bovino was hired as the new brand and PR Manager.
|Current release||Release no longer supported||Release still supported||Future release|
|Version||Codename||Release date||Supported until||Remarks||Kernel version|
|16.04 LTS||Xenial Xerus||2016-04-25||2018-08||First release, branded budgie-remix||4.10 (16.04.3)|
|17.04||Zesty Zapus||2017-04-11||2018-01||First release after rename to Ubuntu Budgie following recognition as an official Ubuntu flavor||4.10|
|17.10.1||2018-01-12||Re-release due to the original Ubuntu 17.10 ISOs getting pulled due to a bug that messed up some BIOSes|
|18.04 LTS||Bionic Beaver||2018-04-26||2023-04||First Long-term-support release as an official Ubuntu flavor||4.15|
The system contains Budgie Desktop 10.2.5. Has a window manager based on Mutter, a customizable panel, notification center settings. The Arc-GTK+ theme is used. Compared to Ubuntu 16.04, budgie-remix has Nautilus version 3.18, as at that time Ubuntu had a version of Nautilus 3.14. Also has a dock-panel Plank version 0.11.1, gedit version 3.18, GNOME 3.18 photos, gThumb 3.4.3, Rhythmbox 3.3, Totem 3.18, GNOME Terminal 3.18, LibreOffice 5.1.2, Mozilla Firefox 45.0, Transmission 2.84, GTK+ 3.18.9, Mesa 11.2.0, XOrg 1.18.3 and the Linux kernel 4.4.0.
The system contains a shell Budgie Desktop 10.2.7, GTK+ 3.22, the Linux kernel 4.8. There are many new features implemented in this version, such as full disk encryption, home folder encryption, and support for multiple languages during installation. Has the theme of design Arc GTK+, a new theme icons Pocillo.
One of the developers of budgie-remix, David Mohammed, says:
|“||This is our first release that follows the release cycle of Ubuntu - we worked to closely link our alpha and two beta versions in the same way as Ubuntu and other official communities. Based on the impressions of 16.04.1, the feedback and suggestions we received from our users, the new release comes with many new features, fixes and optimization.||”|
Ubuntu Budgie 17.04
The system contains the Budgie Desktop 10.2.9 shell, the Linux 4.10 kernel, Mesa 17.0.3, Xorg 1.19.3. Budgie-Welcome application was updated, support for application indicator appeared, sound applets were managed, GNOME 3.24 applications were enabled, GNOME Terminal was replaced with Termix and Chromium replaced Google Chrome , and GTK+ theme support for Qt was enabled. Use the theme of the design Arc GTK+, the theme of the icons Moka.
In the record about the release of this version, it was written as follows:
|“||A significant part of this development cycle was spent on integration with the Canonical assembly system. The key visible integration elements were the Plymouth settings, which used Ubiquity installer, processing packages to remove the identities of "budgie-remix" and replaced with the renewed identity of "Ubuntu Budgie".||”|
Ubuntu Budgie 17.10
The system contains the Budgie Desktop 10.4 shell, the Linux 4.13 kernel. The Budgie 10.4 desktop environment is equipped with a set of native features that include a new stylish Alt-Tab, support for Spotify in Raven, support for switching window controls to the left or right, support for SMB files and encrypted volumes through the addition of applets and supports customizing the appearance of dates and times. In addition, there is support for left or right side panels in Budgie Desktop 10.4, support for converting panels in the dock, transparency and dynamic auto-image for all panels, and the ability to replenish the bottom panel to work without a terrible "jump" effect. Other noteworthy improvements in the release of Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 include Night Light and Caffeine tools, Tilix as the default terminal emulator instead of Termix, as well as support for Tilix Quake mode with the F12 key, updated panel icons and new wallpapers.
On December 20, 2017, Canonical withdrew the Ubuntu 17.10 distribution in October and hid the link on the site for downloading. The reason was a critical bug with BIOS damage on some Lenovo notebook models and one Acer model.
On January 12, 2018, version 17.10.1 was released, which contained the correction of a serious problem in version 17.10.
Ubuntu Budgie 18.04
The system includes the Linux 4.15 kernel. It became possible to install OpenVNC through network-manager. New applets have appeared, such as Quick Note for notes, DropBy for downloading and viewing data from USB devices, Hot Corners for moving windows to the corner of the screen, Windowpreviews for viewing open windows, Clockworks for viewing some time zones, Autoswitch for tying the keyboard layout to the application, Window Mover in order to quickly move the window to another virtual desktop. All GNOME applications have been updated to version 3.28, but Nautilus has version 3.26.
- "Explaining Why We Don't Endorse Other Systems". Free Software Foundation. Retrieved 2015-07-14.
- "18.04 Release Notes". Ubuntu Budgie. 2018-03-08. Retrieved 2018-04-27.
- fossfreedom (2016-04-25). "budgie-remix 16.04 is now out!". Xpress-Ubuntu. Retrieved 2017-03-20.
- "Budgie-Remix 16.10 released". Ubuntu Budgie. 2016-10-16. Retrieved 2017-03-20.
- "It's official". Ubuntu Budgie. 2016-11-09. Retrieved 2017-03-20.
- "Ubuntu Budgie new team". Ubuntu Budgie. 2016-11-09. Retrieved 2017-03-29.
- "17.04 Released!". Ubuntu Budgie. 2017-04-13. Retrieved 2017-04-16.
- "17.10 Release Notes". Ubuntu Budgie. 2017-10-19. Retrieved 2017-10-19.
- "Dropping 32-bit support". DistroWatch.
- "DistroWatch.com: Ubuntu Budgie".
- "budgie-remix 16.04 is now out!". Xpress-Ubuntu. Retrieved 2017-09-09.
- "BUDGIE-REMIX 16.04 - END OF SUPPORT DATE". Ubuntu Budgie. Retrieved 2018-05-22.
- "budgie-remix 16.10 released". Ubuntu Budgie. Retrieved 2017-09-09.
- Sneddon, Joey. "Support for Ubuntu 16.10 Ends Today". OMG! Ubuntu!. Retrieved 2017-09-09.
- "17.04 RELEASE NOTES". Ubuntu Budgie. Retrieved 2017-09-09.
- "17.10 Ubuntu Budgie Released!". Ubuntu Budgie. 2017-10-19. Retrieved 2017-11-07.
- "Exceptional respins of Ubuntu 17.10 media; call for testing".
- "Ubuntu Linux 18.04 LTS Bionic Beaver : What's new?". Technotification. 2018-04-14. Retrieved 2018-04-27.
- "A Quick Look At Budgie Remix 16.04, The Unofficial Budgie Desktop Ubuntu Flavor ~ Web Upd8: Ubuntu / Linux blog".
- "Ubuntu Budgie 16.04 Officially Released Based on Ubuntu 16.04 and Budgie Desktop". Softpedia News.
- "Ubuntu Budgie Remix 16.10 Beta 2 Officially Released with Budgie Desktop 10.2.7". Softpedia News.
- "Ubuntu Budgie Remix 16.10 Officially Released, Available for Download Now - Exclusive". Softpedia News.
- "Distriubtion Release: budgie-remix 16.10". DistroWatch.com News.
- "Distriubtion Release: Ubuntu Budgie 17.04". DistroWatch.com News.
- "Ubuntu Budgie 17.04 Is Out as Official Ubuntu Flavor with Budgie 10.2.9 Desktop". Softpedia News.
- "Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Releases with Budgie Desktop 10.4, Night Light, and More". Softpedia News.
- "Distribution Release: Ubuntu Budgie 17.10". DistroWatch.com News.
- "Ubuntu Flavors, Including Ubuntu MATE 17.10, Are Available to Download". OMG! Ubuntu!.
- "Ubuntu 17.10 Breaks the BIOS on Some Lenovo Laptops". OMG! Ubuntu!.
- "Ubuntu Budgie 18.04 Looks like a Brilliant Upgrade". OMG! Ubuntu!. 2018-03-10. Retrieved 2018-04-27.
- "DistroWatch Weekly, Issue 774, 30 July 2018".
- "Ubuntu Budgie 18.04 Review: The Perfect Blend of Ubuntu and Budgie Desktop". It's FOSS.
- "Ubuntu Budgie Whistles Up a Better Remix" (Reviews). LinuxInsider.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ubuntu Budgie.|