|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (February 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Editor in Chief||Joe Casad|
|First issue||May 2009|
|Company||Linux New Media AG|
The publication is aimed at users of the Ubuntu operating system and focuses on reviews, community news, how to articles and troubleshooting tips. It also includes a Discovery Guide aimed at beginners.
Ubuntu User is published quarterly. The paper magazine is supported by a website that includes a selection of articles from the magazine available to the public as PDFs, Ubuntu news and free computer wallpaper downloads.
Issue number one consisted of 100 pages (including covers) and in its North American edition had a cover price of US$15.99 and Cdn$17.99. Each issue also includes an Ubuntu live CD in the form of a DVD that new users can use to try out Ubuntu or to install it.
Linux New Media is headquartered in Munich, Germany and has offices of its US subsidiary, Linux New Media USA, LLC, in Lawrence, Kansas. The company also publishes Linux Magazine, LinuxUser, EasyLinux in German, and Linux Community.
In announcing the launch of the magazine, the company said:
|“||Ubuntu User is the first print magazine for users of the popular Ubuntu computer operating system. The power, style, and simplicity of Ubuntu is winning followers around the world. Ubuntu User offers reviews, community news, HowTo articles, and troubleshooting tips for readers who are excited about Ubuntu and want to learn more about the Ubuntu environment.||”|
DistroWatch questioned the wisdom of launching a new paper magazine at this point in history:
|“||In a time where more and more information is moving out of the paper world and into the online realm, one publisher is bucking the trend by releasing a physical magazine...With so much high quality information available online, would you pay for a monthly paper magazine about your favourite distribution?||”|
- "Linux New Media Launches Ubuntu User Magazine". Linux Pro. May 2009. Retrieved 15 June 2009.
- "DistroWatch Weekly, Issue 305, 1 June 2009". DistroWatch. June 2009. Retrieved 6 June 2009.
- Linux New Media AG (June 2009). "Ubuntu User home page". Retrieved 2009-06-06.
- "Ubuntu User Order". Linux New Media AG. June 2009. Retrieved 6 June 2009.
- "Ubuntu User News". Linux New Media AG. June 2009. Archived from the original on 26 May 2009. Retrieved 6 June 2009.
- Linux New Media AG: Ubuntu User Issue 1 May 2009. ISSN 2040-8080