Church of Ucú, Yucatán
Region 2 Noroeste #100
|• Municipal President||Jorge Luis Magaña Tun|
|• Total||192.89 km2 (74.48 sq mi)|
|Elevation||7 m (23 ft)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (Central Standard Time)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (Central Daylight Time)|
|Major Airport||Merida (Manuel Crescencio Rejón) International Airport|
Ucú Municipality (In the Yucatec Maya Language: “place of the seven moons”) is one of the 106 municipalities in the Mexican state of Yucatán containing (192.89 km2) of land and located roughly 16 km northwest of the city of Mérida.
There is no accurate data on when the town was founded, though it existed before the conquest and in antiquity belonged to the chieftainship of Ah Canul. At colonization, Ucú became part of the encomienda system with Francisca Rodríguez Vicario recorded as the encomendero.
In 1821, Yucatán was declared independent of the Spanish Crown. In 1825 the area was part of the Mérida region, and later it passed to the region of Hunucma. Ucú was designated as its own municipality in 1925.
The municipal president is elected for a term of three years. The president appoints four Councilpersons to serve on the board for three year terms, as the Secretary and councilors who oversee public works, street lighting, nomenclature, markets, cemeteries and commissaries.
The head of the municipality is Ucú, Yucatán. The other important town is Yaxché de Peón and there are three small haciendas: Gobonyá, Sey, and Siach. The major population areas are shown below:
|Entire Municipality (2010)||3,469|
|Ucú||2360 in 2005|
|Yaxché de Peón||691 in 2005|
Every year on 8 September the feast the Nativity of the Virgin Mary is celebrated.
- Archaeological site at Ucú
- Archaeological site at Tisikul
- Hacienda Yaxché de Peón
- "Unidad en el PRI". Por Esto! (in Spanish). Por Esto!. 2010. Retrieved 5 June 2015.
- "Municipios de Yucatán » Ucú" (in Spanish). Retrieved 3 June 2015.
- "Mexico In Figures:Ucú, Yucatán". INEGI (in Spanish and English). Aguascalientes, México: Instituto Nacional de Estadística y Geografía (INEGI). Archived from the original on 6 May 2015. Retrieved 3 June 2015.
- "Ucú". inafed (in Spanish). Mérida, Mexico: Enciclopedia de Los Municipios y Delegaciones de México. Retrieved 5 June 2015.
- "Ucú". PueblosAmerica (in Spanish). PueblosAmerica. 2005. Retrieved 3 June 2015.
- "Yaxché". PueblosAmerica (in Spanish). PueblosAmerica. 2005. Retrieved 3 June 2015.