|This article does not cite any sources. (February 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Location of the Ucayali Region in Peru
|Subdivisions||4 provinces and 14 districts|
|• Total||101,830.64 km2 (39,317.03 sq mi)|
|Elevation(Capital)||120 m (390 ft)|
|Highest elevation||350 m (1,150 ft)|
|Lowest elevation||135 m (443 ft)|
|Population (2007 census)|
|• Density||4.2/km2 (11/sq mi)|
|ISO 3166 code||PE-UCA|
|Principal resources||Wood, fruit.|
|Percentage of Peru's GDP||0.85%|
The Ucayali Region is bordered by the Brazilian state of Acre on the east; the region of Madre de Dios on the southeast; Cusco on the south; Junín, Pasco and Huánuco on the west; and Loreto on the north.
According to the 2007 Census, the Ucayali Region has a population of 432,159 inhabitants, 51.4% of which (222,132) are male and 48.6% (210,027) are female. 75.3% of the population (325,347) live in urban areas while the remaining 24.7% (106,812) live in rural areas.
Spanish is spoken as a first language by 87.6% of the population, while 4.1% speak Asháninka, 1.5% speak Quechua and 0.1% speak Aymara. Other indigenous languages, including Shipibo, are spoken by 6.6% of the population and 0.0% speak foreign languages.
Persons originating from other regions of the country make up 34.7% of the population and 0.2% of residents were born abroad.
The largest immigrant groups come from the Loreto Region (12.5% of the total population).
The population is spread out with 53.9% under the age of 20, 9.3% from 20 to 24, 25.4% from 25 to 44, 8.8% from 45 to 64, and 2.5% who are 65 years of age or older.
Secondary education has been attended by 29% of the population and 2.3% also have graduated from non-university higher education, while 1.7% have complete university studies. 49.3% only have attended primary education and 9.1% have not had any education.
The illiteracy rate in the region is 14.2%
The region is divided into 4 provinces (Spanish: provincias, singular: provincia), which are composed of 14 districts (distritos, singular: distrito).
The provinces, with their capitals in parentheses, are:
Places of interest
- (in Spanish) Gobierno Regional de Ucayali - Ucayali Regional Government website
|This Ucayali Region geography article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|