|Created by||Momina Duraid Productions|
|Developed by||Sultana Siddiqui|
|Written by||Farhat Ishtiaq|
|Screenplay by||Farhat Ishtiaq|
|Directed by||Mohammed Ehteshamuddin|
Hina Altaf Khan
|Theme music composer||Sahir Ali Bagga|
|Opening theme||Sajna Ve Sajna by|
by Hadiqa Kiani and Farhan Saeed
|Ending theme||Bol Ke Lab Azaad|
Hadiqa Kiani and Farhan Saeed
|Country of origin||Pakistan|
|Original languages||Urdu, Punjabi|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||25 (list of episodes)|
|Production locations||Lahore, Punjab |
Muhammad Ali Sooni
Ali Raza Ansari
|Camera setup||Multi camera|
|Running time||30-39 minutes|
|Production companies||Momal Productions|
|Original network||Hum TV|
|Picture format||1080p HD TV|
|First shown in||Pakistan|
|Original release||10 April –|
25 September 2016
Udaari (title from Punjabi: اڈاری; lit: To fly) is an Urdu and Punjabi language social Pakistani television series that was created and co-produced by Momina Duraid with Kashf Foundation for Hum TV. It focused on the social and economic marginalisation of citizens in Pakistani rural society alongside highlighting deeply rooted issues such as child sexual abuse, sexism and gender discrimination within these areas. It was aired from 10 April 2016 to 4 September 2016. The show is written by Farhat Ishtiaq and directed by Mohammed Ehteshamuddin. The plot of Udaari centres on the families of two Punjabi villagers Sheedan and Sajida, with Sheedan holding criticism being a local musician, being labelled as a Marasi whereas Sajida struggles for her daughter after her husband's death. It later focuses on their daughter's struggle where Meera (Sheedan's daughter) struggles to become a music sensation despite being labelled as a Doomni's daughter, and Zebo's (Sajida's daughter's) struggle against her step-father Imtiaz, who after her mother's second marriage, raped her when she was only nine years old.
The show was first aired on Hum TV, as a part of night programming all under Duraid's production company. The series is produced and written by the makers of Humsafar, Mata-e-Jaan Hai Tu and Diyar-e-Dil. Udaari has an ensemble cast with Bushra Ansari as Sheedan, Samiya Mumtaz as Sajida, Urwa Hocane as Ameera, Farhan Saeed as Arsh, Ahsan Khan as Imtiaz, and Hina Altaf Khan/Areesha Ahsan as Zebo. The show is set in the village of Mirpur and urban areas of Punjab.
Udaari received positive reviews from critics and audiences throughout its broadcast, critics considered the sensitive issues within the story's arc well drafted and well composed, and also lauded the entire cast's performance, it also scored highest ratings in 2016 and was ranked as the highest rated TV series of 2016 season. At the 5th Hum Awards, Udaari won the most for the ceremony including, Best Drama Serial - Jury and Best Drama Serial - Popular for Momina Duraid.
It is the story of two different worlds, the urban and the rural as well as highlighting prevalent issues in modern society. The series depicts the lives of two neighbouring families in a village, and the struggle of a group of four friends living in the city, trying to pursue a music career. In the village, it focuses on two close neighbours, Rashida (Bushra Ansari) and Sajida (Samiya Mumtaz). Rashida (nicknamed as Sheedaan) along with her husband Maajid (Rehan Sheikh), daughter Meera (Urwa Hocane) and son Ejaz are local musicians who earn through singing and entertaining people at weddings, because of which they are discriminated and criticised in the society, being termed as Marasi. Whereas Sajida, Parvez's widow, works as a maid in a distant house. She runs the household, cares for herself and her 10-year-old daughter, named Zebo. Simultaneously, in urban city Lahore, resides a group of four students, Maleeha, Haris, Arsh and Farwa who want to pursue a music carrier. Meera is in a complicated relationship with Illyas who happens to be Sajida's nephew. He always warned her to stop singing or he will break his relationship. Imtiaz (Ahsan Khan), Parvez's best friend, proposed Sajida for marriage who first showed reluctance but later married him for Zebo's sake. On their wedding, Majid passes away which makes Imtiaz closer to Sheedaan's family resulting in his negative sexual desires for Meera. One day, when Sajida and Zebo are not home, Imtiaz attempts to sexually abuse Meera, but she escapes from there. This results in a dispute between Sajida and Sheedaan where Sajida claims Meera's intentions were wrong, refuses to believe her and supports Imtiaz. After this Sheedan's breaks off all her relations with Sajida and Illyas breaks off his relationship with Meera. On the other hand, Farwa is forced by her parents to bid adieu to her music career. Milli and her mother Muneera (who runs an NGO) visit the village for a wedding where she sees Meera tearfully singing and records her music. The band then visit Meera's house and take her on as a replacement singer for Farwa. After immense arguments and disputes, Arsh and Meera grow close to each other. The band successfully wins the music competition, leaving the village shocked seeing Meera on Television. Complications begin when Imtiaz's sexual desires arise for Zebo. One rainy afternoon while Sajida is at work, Imtiaz lures Zebo into one room and rapes her, she is threatened to keep silent otherwise he threatens to kill Zebo herself and her mother. Back in Lahore, Meera gains fame and recognition all over the country, she earns enough money to purchase a house and settles in Lahore with her family.
- Samiya Mumtaz as Sajida Bibi; nicknamed as Sajo
- Bushra Ansari as Rasheeda Bibi: nicknamed as Sheedaan
- Ahsan Khan as Imtiaz Ali Sheikh
- Urwa Hocane as Ameera Majid; nicknamed as Meera
- Farhan Saeed as Taimoor Arshad nicknamed as Arsh
- Hina Altaf as Zeb-un-Nisa Pervaiz; nicknamed as Zebo
- Laila Zuberi as Muneera Khalid
- Malika Zafar as Maleeha Khalid
- Maryam Fatima as Farwa Murad
- Ins-e-Yazdan as Ejaz Majid
- Adnan Saeed as Haris Khalid
- Aqeel Abbas as Iqbal
- Haris Waheed as Ilyas
- Rehan Sheikh as Majid
- Behroze Sabzwari as Khalid
- Ambar Wajid as Afrooz
- Aliya Jamshed as Razia
- Arjumand Hussain as Ahmad
- Rashida Tabassum as Durdana
- Saife Hassan as Malik Iftikhar Hussain
- Akbar Islam as Imtiaz's Lawyer
- Areesha Ahsan as Zebo
- Saad as Ejaz
|No.||Title||Directed by||Written by||Run Time||Original air date||Overnight UK Viewers
|7 day Viewing Data|
|1||"Episode 1"||Mohammed Ehteshamuddin||Farhat Ishtiaq||39:50||10 April 2016||87.1||-|
|Sheedan and her family are local musics entertainers. Sajida's s boss suggests her to think over second marriage where as Meera secretly meets Illyas (Sajida's Nephew), the two promise to get married one day. Meera and her family are set to sing in a wedding nearby where a strange man teases Meera.|
|2||"Episode 2"||Muhammad Ehtishamudin||Farhat Ishtiaq||42:48||17 April 2016||51.4||63|
|Sajida faces street goons teasing her and is saved by Imtiaz who later proposes to her; she refuses. Meera is about get molested but is saved by her family; all of them receive disrespect by the entire village as they are local musicians. Illyas has a rude attitude towards Meera as he wants her to stop singing. Illyas's mother hates Meera and shows disrespect for her family; she also abuses Sajida for thinking of re-marriage.|
|3||"Episode 3"||Muhammad Ehtishamudin||Farhat Ishtiaq||41:00||24 April 2016||60.3||72|
|Sheedan and Zebo convince Sajida to marry Imtiaz. Their marriage takes place. Illyas scolds Meera for dancing and tells her that if she continues to do so, he will not marry her. Majid dies in a car accident. Farwa receives resentment from her mother for music.|
|4||"Episode 4"||Muhammad Ehtishamudin||Farhat Ishtiaq||39:14||1 May 2016||42.4||72|
|Farwa's mother finds out the truth and makes her abandon her pursuit for music. Illyas badmouths Meera and her family and asks her to stay away from them and stop singing. Arsh, Maleeha, Haris and Farwa get selected for their band. Farwa tearfully bids farewell to her music career and leaves her song Saajna Ve Saajna with her band; she asks the members to start searching for a new female vocalists. Imtiaz develops false feelings for Meera.|
|5||"Episode 5"||Muhammad Ehtishamudin||Farhat Ishtiaq||37:44||8 May 2016||83.0||100|
|Sheedan finds out about Meera and Illyas's love affair. Sajida's sister scolds her for Meera and Illyas's relation and warns her to keep them away from her family. She then reaches Sheedan's house and insults them. The next morning, Imtiaz tries to rape Meera in his house but she escapes; Imtiaz denies when Meera and Sheedan accuse him. Sajida supports her husband over Sheedan and breaks all ties with them.|
|6||"Episode 6"||Muhammad Ehtishamudin||Farhat Ishtiaq||38:02||15 May 2016||70.5||110|
|Meera meets Illyas who breaks their relationship; he tells her that he has agreed to marry Jamila as he considers her as a woman with good character and rejects Meera calling her a Marasi. Muneera is invited to Shehnaz's (her former client's) daughter; she asks Milli to accompany her. At that marriage, Meera sings a song which describes her sorrow for Illyas; with this song, she wants to forget every moment with Illyas. Her song attracts Milli who records it. Sajida brightens herself and wears colorful dress for Imtiaz; he makes fun of her instead and calls her old; Sajida is left heartbroken.|
|7||"Episode 7"||Muhammad Ehtishamudin||Farhat Ishtiaq||37:27||22 May 2016||89.5||-|
|Imtiaz asks Zebo to give him foot Massage; he plans to molest her but Sajida comes and asks him to get himself ready for Illyas's engagement. Imtiaz's plan foils. Sheedan meets Zebo in the street as Sajida has forbidden her to meet Sheedan and Meera. Milli finally convinces Arsh and Haris to meet Meera. Imtiaz's lust increases for Zebo. The musicians meet Meera and decide not to cast her but the family is still invited by Milli to their house in Lahore.|
|8||"Episode 8"||Muhammad Ehtishamudin||Farhat Ishtiaq||38:30||29 May 2016||68.3||87|
|Sheedan and Meera leaves for Lahore. Imtiaz tries to falsely touch Zebo but gets interrupted by Sajida. Zebo tells Illyas and Imtiaz about Meera planning to sing on television. Illyas gets jealous of them and is manipulated by Imtiaz. Urban living is different for Sheedan and Meera who find music appliances hard to understand; this makes Arsh furious. Sajida finds out about Sheedan moving to Lahore; Imtiaz badmouths them which makes her uncomfortable.|
|9||"Episode 9"||Muhammad Ehtishamudin||Farhat Ishtiaq||37:33||5 June 2016||72.8||116|
|Arsh and Haris try teaching Meera how to sing but continue their rude attitude; Milli supports her. Sheedan tries to correct daily chores applying her traditional habits. Zebo is playing in the rain; Imtiaz's rapes her and threatens her to keep her mouth shut or he will kill her mother who was not home. Sajida reaches home and finds Zebo sick. Arsh yells at Meera for singing wrong and discourages her, but later apologizes to her when he finds her crying.|
|10||"Episode 10"||Muhammad Ehtishamudin||Farhat Ishtiaq||37:27||12 June 2016||35.9||74|
|Muneera is invited to a social conference event where she conducts her speech against child sexual abuse and Pedaphiles. Zebo gets panic attacks facing Imtiaz and is again threatened by him that he will kill her mother if she tells her. One morning, Arsh finds Meera practising for their music and gets impressed by her voice. Imtiaz begins to physically torture Zebo.|
|11||"Episode 11"||Muhammad Ehtishamudin||Farhat Ishtiaq||37:29||19 June 2016||115.6||130|
|The music band reaches the Audition venue where Haris finds out that only fifty bands will be selected. Sajida scolds Zebo for disputing Imtiaz. The band finally performs their song Sajna ve Sajna. The next day, the band is interviewed and Meera accidentally reveals that she is not Farwa.|
|12||"Episode 12"||Muhammad Ehtishamudin||Farhat Ishtiaq||38:48||26 June 2016||119.6||143|
|The band is given forty seconds to prove themselves and all judges gave them the title of top one band. The next day, their song is broadcast on TV and the entire village sees Meera on TV, making Illyas regretful. Imtiaz's plan of raping Zebo again foils. Sajida gets suspicious of Imtiaz's harsh attitude for Zebo and recalls Meera's incident with Imtiaz. At night, when Imtiaz goes out, Zebo's panic attack reveals to Sajida that Imtiaz had raped her, leaving her shocked.|
|13||"Episode 13"||Muhammad Ehtishamudin||Farhat Ishtiaq||37:14||3 July 2016||59.6||91|
|Sajida's anger increases for Imtiaz; she tells Zebo to never discuss her incident with anyone. Meera gets an offer for the OST of a TV series. Sheedan reaches her village to take all her belongings and asks Ejaz to return the money back to Sajida which she once borrowed as a loan. Along with the money, Ejaz hands over Meera's letter where she has mentioned her house address.|
|14||"Episode 14"||Muhammad Ehtishamudin||Farhat Ishtiaq||37:03||10 July 2016||101.1||128|
|Sajida reveals to Imtiaz that she knows everything he did and warns him to stay away from Zebo. He gets angry and gives her an open challenge that he will rape Zebo in front of her and forcefully locks her into a room. The entire incident is being watched by Imtiaz's colleague. Sajida loses control over her anger when he rapes her daughter and attacks him and leaves him for dead. The mother and daughter escape for Sheedan's house.|
|15||"Episode 15"||Muhammad Ehtishamudin||Farhat Ishtiaq||38:34||17 July 2016||79.2||106|
|Milli and Haris are going to England for completing a music course. Meera asks Sajida and Zebo to change their identity and name themselves as Tahira and Komal. The next day, Illyas sees Meera with Arsh. After meeting her, he tells her that he does not want to marry Jamila anymore and once again proposes to Meera. She rejects his proposal and tells him that she is a Marasi. Milli and Haris leave for England.|
|16||"Episode 16"||Muhammad Ehtishamudin||Farhat Ishtiaq||38:29||24 July 2016||57.7||84|
|Arsh tells his mother that he is in love with Meera; she compares their background and also terms Meera as a Marasi. The entire conversation is overheard by Meera who gets hurt and feels the same way as she felt earlier by Illyas's mother. She tells Arsh that she doesn't want any relationship. Tahira starts a business. After six years, Tahira is a successful businesswoman. Milli gets married and Arsh is a lawyer and Meera is now a successful singer. Tahira goes to a bakery shop where Imtiaz sees her as a changed Urban woman.|
|17||"Episode 17"||Muhammad Ehtishamudin||Farhat Ishtiaq||38:08||31 July 2016||85.8||101|
|Meera goes to America for her concert. Imtiaz returns and reveals how he was saved; he shocks Sajida and Zebo and gives them an open threat that he will attack Zebo once again. The next day, Sajida leaves Zebo in care of Sheedan and Ejaz. Imtiaz decides to kidnap Zebo who is currently residing at Sheedan's house.|
|18||"Episode 18"||Muhammad Ehtishamudin||Farhat Ishtiaq||37:00||7 August 2016||165.0||164|
|The Police SHO falsely helps Imtiaz with his FIR and arrests Sajida on charges of attempted murder. Sheedan and Ejaz seek Muneera for help who has gone to Bangladesh for social work. Along with attempted murder, the police make a false charge of a robbery on Sajida and illegally attempt a third degree force on Sajida.|
|19||"Episode 19"||Muhammad Ehtishamudin||Farhat Ishtiaq||35:57||14 August 2016||71.5||84|
|Sajida forbids Sheedan from disclosing Zebo's case. Arsh finds out about Sajida's attempted murder charge. Meera returns to Pakistan.|
|20||"Episode 20"||Muhammad Ehtishamudin||Farhat Ishtiaq||37:58||21 August 2016||64.2||77|
|Arsh is suspicious about Imtiaz's attitude with Zebo and tries to find out what happened on 21 April 2010. Sajida gets arrested over the allegation of attempting to murder Imtiaz. Afrooz (Arsh's mother) finds out about Arsh's involvement in Sajida's case and apologises to him, revealing that she has turned positive for Meera and asks him to take her to Meera's house for marriage proposal. However Meera again rejects Arsh, claiming that she will never marry anyone in her life.|
|21||"Episode 21"||Muhammad Ehtishamudin||Farhat Ishtiaq||38:49||28 August 2016||123.4||130|
|Arsh forcefully asks Meera to reveal him about Imtiaz; she first reveals to him about the incident of him trying to molest her, then she reveals him of the rape incident of Zebo. Arsh tells Zebo to stand for her rights. In the court hearing, Imtiaz blames Sajida and says that she wanted to pursue prostitution along with Zebo.|
|22||"Episode 22"||Muhammad Ehtishamudin||Farhat Ishtiaq||39:17||4 September 2016||141.0||114|
|In the court session, a police officer bribed by Imtiaz, lies showing false proofs against Sajida. Muneera, Arsh and Zebo finally get Zebo's medical report from hospital records, Zebo shows up in the next court proceeding and shocks Imtiaz. An anti-child abuse campaign is formed by the Kashf Foundation for Zebo's justice.|
|23||"Episode 23"||Muhammad Ehtishamudin||Farhat Ishtiaq||37:56||11 September 2016||68.2||TBD|
|On his interview, Malik Iftikhar states that he will never support Imtiaz in any of his crimes. Sajida is angry with Zebo and asks her to leave, Zebo tells her that she does not want to be labelled as a victim but wants to be known as a survivor.|
|24||"Episode 24"||Muhammad Ehtishamudin||Farhat Ishtiaq||38:11||18 September 2016||19.5||TBD|
|Muneera gathers public attention for Zebo and starts campaigning for her case, Meera reveals Imtiaz's rape attempt on her in the court, back in the village, it is shown that Imtiaz's gambling partner, Jamshed (eye witness of Zebo's rape incident) grieves his pain in front of his wife and daughters grave.|
|25||"Last Episode"||Muhammad Ehtishamudin||Farhat Ishtiaq||66:40||25 September 2016||60.1||TBD|
|Zebo gets justice when Jamshed confesses that he saw Imtiaz raping her. Imtiaz is then sentenced life imprisonment while Sajida is declared innocent. Meera gets engaged to Arsh, they both tribute a song for Zebo and all women of their country and the entire family gets united after Sajida's release.|
Udaari was developed by Hum TV's senior producer Momina Duraid of MD Productions, the channel hired the award-winning director Mohammed Ehteshamuddin to direct the series. Story of serial is written by award-winning writer Farhat Ishtiaq. It was Ishtiaq's first screenplay without a novel release, she has previously worked thrice with Momina, when she wrote mega-hit drama serials in Pakistan television history Humsafar, Mata-e-Jaan Hai Tu, and Diyar-e-Dil.
Song composition is done by Sahir Ali Bagga and Sohail Haider while background music is given by Mohsin AllahDitta who chose singers like Bushra Ansari, Hadiqa Kiani and Farhan Saeed for singing. It was Insari and Kiani's second collaboration after Pakistan Idol. Kiani and Saeed collaborated on the title song and also provided the vocals for the characters of Meeran and Arsh (portrayed by Saeed). There were discussions laid on its time slot, previously it was announced that the show will air on Saturdays replacing Durad's Gul-e-Rana. However, due to promotional reasons and Slot importance the show was given time slot of Sundays, 8:00 pm, whereas the long running series, Abroo was given a time slot of Saturdays. Udaari was initially planned to be released in 2017 after completion of filming but Duraid decided to release it in 2016 to For higher ratings to her channel. It was released in April and was planned to end along with Hum TV's Mann Mayal thereby both the shows were slotted to maintain Sunday and Monday slots to bring higher Television Rating Points (TRP) to them for the future.
Producer, writer and Director mutually chose the cast which includes Bushra Ansari, Samiya Mumtaz, Ahsan Khan, Urwa Hocane, Farhan Saeed and Hina Altaf Khan and Areesha Ahsan to play the leading roles of Sheedhan, Sajida, Imtiaz, Meera, Arsh and Zebo.
Veteran Actress Bushra Ansari was cast to portray the role of Rashida Bibi after her appraisal for her role in Kis Ki Ayeegi Baraat series, and Bilqees Kaur. The actress received critical acclaim within the pilot episode, according to her, this role was a challenge.
Udaari was Samiya Mumtaz's second collaboration with Momina Duraid and Mohammed Ehteshamuddin, she previously acted in drama-serial Sadqay Tumhare after which she was finalised to portray the role of Sajida. Alongside Mumtaz, actress Hina Altaf Khan was cast to portray series's the pivotal character of Zebo. Zebo's role was initially portrayed by Areesha Ahsan as child artist. 
Udaari was Ahsan Khan's first portrayal of a negative role. Khan was cast to portray the role of 'Imtiaz a pedophile, this role was initially offered to actor Mikaal Zulfiqar who rejected it due to its grey personality. Speaking about difficulty in portraying this role, Khan states that Even while reading the script, I could not digest these scenes. It is definitely the most difficult character to portray on-screen, further sommecfting on his role Khan states Such abuse leaves the child traumatised forever. My maid's child was suffering from it and that's what made me realise that I need to spread awareness.
Production also chose Behroze Sabzwari, Laila Zuberi, Maryam Fatima, Rehan Sheikh, Haris Waheed and Aqeel Abbas for the supporting roles of Khalid, Muneera, Farwa, Majid, Illyas and Balay respectively. Sabzwari received critical acclaim for his role of Tajamul in Duraid's Diyar-e-Dil, he was selected to portray Khalid alongside Zuberi who joined the series after her previous project Mann Mayal with Duraid.
Music and sound
All the music and songs of Udaari were composed by musician Sahir Ali Bagga and Sohail Haider with Mubarak and Zahid being the sound engineer. The background score is given by Bilal Allahdittah, the lyrics for the OST were penned down by Imran Raza. The OST Sajna Ve Sajna was sung by Farhan Saeed and Hadiqa Kiani. It marks the return of Hadiqa Kiani to Hum TV, since she performed for the channel's hit drama series Zindagi Gulzar Hai's title song. Veteran actress and vocalist Bushra Ansari performed only Punjabi music for various episodes. Rahat Fateh Ali Khan's Samjhawanki was taken and performed by Hadiqa Kiani for the series.
Udaari's full OST was released in May 2016. Saajna Ve Saajna received critical acclaim for Sahir Ali Bagga and Sohail Haider for comping and Hadiqa Kiani and Farhan Saeed for vocals. The Series dominated the Top No.1 rank according to Pakistan's Official Music App Taazi. "Mein Tenu Samjhawanki" received critical acclaim and success.
Filming and locations
Principal photography and filming began in February 2016 and finishes in June 2016, with approximately 25 episodes. Shooting was extensively done in Multan's village Mirpur Khas and in Karachi. Udaari's first promo was released in March 2016. Chief editing and cinematography was done by Azhar Ali who edited the series.
Post Production and Pre-release
On 7 April 2016 a press conference was held for Udaari. The programme, hosted by Shanaz Ramzi, CEO Starlinks PR began the proceedings with the series's introduction. Producer Momina Duraid said that some of the actors came out of their comfort zones for the roles that they portrayed. Furthermore, Roshaneh Zafar from Kashf Foundation reflected on common rape cases in Kasur city which led them to produce a screenplay for awarenesses against child-sexual abuse. Director Ehteshamuddin, revealed how challengingvit had been to get the writer, Farhat Ishtiaq to write the script, as not only was the subject a difficult one to portray on screen but it also needed a script that was very close to reality. Bushra Ansari shared her role which is that of a woman who is extremely confident but unrefined, and embodies the real culture of Pakistan's rural areas. She regaled the media present with her quick vivid descriptions and stories painted about the time on set in Mirpur Khas.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||12 April 2016|
|Label||M.D Productions and Kashf Foundation|
The title song of Udaari was composed by musician Sahir Ali Bagga and Sohail Haider, the lyrics were penned down by Imran Raza. The OST was sung by Farhan Saeed and Hadiqa Kiani. It marks the return of Hadiqa Kiani to Hum TV, since she performed for the channel's hit drama series Zindagi Gulzar Hai's title song.
The Soundtrack is produced along with the series production by Momina Duraid and Kashf Productions. The original music was recorded by the production house itself while few songs used in the show were covers of previous classics, including the song Mein Tenu Samjhawanki which was sung by Hadiqa Kiani. Actress Bushra Ansari revamped classic Punjabi Pakistani songs.
Udaari's full OST was released in May 2016. Saajna Ve Saajna received critical acclaim for Sahir Ali Bagga and Sohail Haider for comping and Hadiqa Kiani and Farhan Saeed for vocals. The Series dominated the Top No.1 rank according to Pakistan's Official Music App Taazi. "Mein Tenu Samjhawanki" received critical acclaim and success.
All lyrics are written by Imran Raza; all music is composed by Sahir Ali Bagga & Sohail Haider.
|1.||"Sajna ve Sajna"||Hadiqa Kiani & Farhan Saeed||6:32|
|2.||"Alif Allah Chambe di booti"||Bushra Ansari||2:00|
|3.||"Main Tenu Samjhawan"||Hadiqa Kiani||3:06|
|4.||"Udaari (Instrument)"||Hadiqa Kiani & Farhan Saeed||4:33|
|5.||"Kukra Dhamidiya"||Bushra Ansari||1:19|
|6.||"Mere Banre Tey"||Bushra Ansari||1:10|
|7.||"Bol Ke Lab"||Hadiqa Kiani & Farhan Saeed||4:40|
|8.||"Pehli Pehli Vaari"||Bushra Ansari||2:32|
|9.||"Jab Se Mile Tum"||Farhan Saeed||1:22|
Broadcast and release
Udaari was originally decided to release in September after completion of filming in July and post production delays, but instead Production decided to release it in April. With its release, it was initially decided to premiere on 9 April 2016, and air every Saturday night with higher reception, replacing Gul-e-Rana which had maintained the slot with a high viewership for the channel. But to maintain their Sunday slot, the channel instead released Udaari on 10 April 2016, airing every Sunday night, replacing Abro, which was then shifted to Saturdays. The channel aired a weekly episode for approximately 30–45 minutes (without commercials). It was ordered and compromised 25 episodes. It was aired on Hum Europe in UK, on Hum TV USA in USA and Hum TV Mena on UAE, with same timings and premiered date. All International broadcasting aired the series in accordance with their standard times.
Homa media and digital release
Udaari was released on Hum TV's youtube channel alongside its airing but in 2017, it was taken off. It was also released on a DVD set on late November 2016. In January 2017, iflix app streamed Udaari on a subscription basis but was pulled off by the channel in 2018. In December 2019, ‘’Udaari’’ was digitally released again by Hum TV on their youtube channel with all its music removed. Furthermore, the show is also available on MX Player.
|Number of Episodes||Timeslot (PST)||Premiere||Finale||TV Season||Rank (2016)||Overall viewership|
|Television Rating Points (TRP)||Date||PAK Viewers
|Television Rating Points (TRP)|
Udaari's ratings were announced by Hum TV on their official Facebook page. Udaari premiered with 4.9 Television Rating Points (TRPs), the third episode also scored 4.9 TRPs. With the fourth episode, ratings increased to 5.5 TRPs and with episode six it gained 4.0 TRPs. On its eighth episode,Udaari scored a hit by jumping to 7.1 TRPs, the series averaged 6 TRPs till episode thirteen where as on episode fourteen the series once again bought a higher point of 7.3 TRP, next week the series bought Its highest ratings of 7.8 TRP. Udaari was Ramadan's most watched show where viewership decreases, the series received higher viewership leaving behind several gameshows. On its sixteenth episode, Udaari received 6.2 TRPs, it was expected to score the same next week but it peaked at 7.3 TRPs on its seventeenth episode. On Its eighteenth episode Udaari moved further receiving 7.8 TRPs. Close to its finale Udaari peaked at 6.0 TRPs on its Twentieth episode and 6.6TRPs on its Twenty first episode. The Last episode of Udaari averaged 6.8TRP at 20:00, after 21:00 it averaged 7.9 TRPs peaking at points above 10 TRP's.
On episode eleven, Udaari scored 11.5 Million Viewership followed by episode twelve which gained 11.9 Million viewers, with further episodes it averaged viewership in millions. After Averaging a viewership of 70 Thousand viewers till episode seventeen, the eighteenth episode gained a record breaking viewership for the series of 16.5 Million viewers. On a scale of Top ten shows of Pakistan in 2016,Udaari had dominated the No. #2 spot where as another Hum TV series, Mann Mayal dominated the No. #1 position. Both the shows bought a higher reception for the channel. The series competed with Geo TV's most expensive Pakistani series, Mor Mahal which was then shifted to 22:00 slot between the course of show.
|Episode||Timeslot (PST)||TV season||Rank (overall)||Timeslot Rank||Viewers|
Actors Bushra Ansari and Ahsan Khan earned the most critical acclaim in 2016 for their portrayals. Commenting on his character's acclaim, Khan stated It's a huge honour for me to receive this appreciation from one of the greatest villains of all times. Imtiaz's character was also internationally recognised, with earning critical acclaim from Indian artists Reena Roy and Alka Yagnik. Speaking about series reviews from India, Khan states Udaari isn't being aired in India currently but these two stars have been watching my show on YouTube. I really appreciate their love and support.
Writing for Dawn News, Sadaf Haider moderately reviewed the series praising its parody if culture saying, Udaari reads like a brightly colored map of Pakistani society today. Divisions of class and wealth are amply illustrated but so are everyday human interactions. Furthermore, Haider praises the casting stating, Udaari has a strong star cast and it looks as if we will see some great performances. She concluded her review saying that Udaari seems like a safe bet for some informative and enjoyable hour every Sunday. In April issue of The Express Tribune, Udaari was ranked third behind Mann Mayal and Dillagi'.
However, Sheeba Khan of Dawn praised the series script and characters saying, ..Udaari, gave an astounding opening this week with its larger than life first episode. After watching the serial, one is blown away by the phenomenal acting and superb characterization in this drama. Moreover, Khan praised Udaari's premier and culture saying Udaari has a very impressive opening with flamboyant characters and their dull sides of life. Every actor is immersed into the feel of his and her role, and gives a magnificent performance. All of them have acquired Punjabi accents with so much ease and grace that it will make you think as if they are not just characters, but are real people from an actual rural setting. She concluded her issue praising Farhat Ishtiaq's writing saying The best part about Udaari is its characterization of each actor, for which the writer Farhat Ishtiaq should be applauded.
Sadaf Haider of Dawn News praised Udaari's direction saying, "Udaari's success lies firmly with director Ehtashamuddin's masterful ability to translate Farhat Ishtiaq's wonderful script flawlessly to the screen. He has elicited some great performances from his team and made sure this wide-ranging storyline did not lose its way". Furthermore, she stated that even after Seven episodes, "Uddari is successfully topping rating charts". Talking about same publication, Sheeba Khan praised the Urban and rural life combination for Dawn's review, Khan states, "The director has managed to extract the best out of all of his actors and has shown a great amount of sensitivity to what should be projected on screen. Sexual abuse is a huge issue in Pakistan, yet for some odd reason has become a taboo and cannot be spoken about". Lastly she praised the theme of child abuse and societal issues by saying, "Pairing a debate on sexual abuse with a commentary on parenting is a smart move, and just shows how, of all the plays running right now, Udaari is not only intelligent and real, it highlights issues in society that need attention so they can be prevented. It shows that victims need not keep quiet and that their families should be their first line of defence". Further more Sadaf Haider praised the roles of Ahsan Khan and Samiya Mumtaz praising Sajida's positivity for her Daughter Zebo, according to her reviews, was Mumtaz's most powerful role, where she portrayed the role of a village women with an extreme powerful getup sparking her role.
Dawn News's article Sadaf Haider praised the Twenty first episode of Udaari with series giving its message, Haider praised the character of Zebo and Arsh stating, "Most significant of all, instead of lecturing Zebo to do the right thing, Arsh becomes a true hero by empowering her and showing her a way to take control of her life. He explains that any shame or guilt is not her burden to carry; all of it should be firmly placed on the perpetrator's shoulders, never the victim's."
While talking to local media about, Urwa Hocane portraying the role of Meera discussed the importance of the drama and social taboos like child abuse and rape. Hocane said, "It's about time for women to talk about this. I think Udaari has brought a change. The people who wanted to ban it couldn't because of the people who wanted the drama to bring about a change. Girls don't speak about such things. I am probably destined to change that mindset." Furthermore, talking about her role of Meera being a local musician, Hocane stated, "I want to change the mindset of people. Bushra jee told me that the word miraasi comes from miraas. You should be proud of it rather than feel horrible about it."
In addition to critical reviews Imtiaz's character received wide media attention and has been a subject of popularity since the beginning, commenting in his role Ahsan Khan stated that "Even while reading the script, I could not digest these scenes. It is definitely the most difficult character to portray on-screen". Moreover, Khan decided to donate 20% of his fee from the serial to the victims of the heinous crime, he also began working with an NGO to make his contributions more substantial and concrete. Khan commented on the series theme "child abuse" stating, "Such abuse leaves the child traumatised forever. My maid's child was suffering from it and that's what made me realise that I need to spread awareness." commenting on critical acclaim Khan stated "It's a huge honour for me to receive this appreciation from one of the greatest villains of all times." Khan's negative role of child molester earned him critical acclaim.
Moreover, Fatima Awan of Review It praised the role of rape-victim Zebo, according to her Udaari played a major role in educating their audience against communal crimes. Apart from sexual abuse, Awan also commented on other societal issues such as politician's negative support and bribing police which plays a major role in societies. Role of Zebo was furthermore praised where Awan states that every girl should stand for her justice and live her life not as a victim but a survivor. Further more Awan commented on the final episode of Udaari where she praised the roles of Zebo, Sajida, Imtiaz, Arsh, Muneera, Meera and Sheedan. With Arsh (Portrayed by Farhan Saeed) Awan praised the message he gave against child sexual abuse and for the favour of Women rights, she praised the roles of Sajida and Zebo where the two finally sealed justice and of Munnera educating her society. According to her review, Udaari has proved o be the major commercial success of 2016.
On 10 May 2016, 'Pakistan Electronic Media Regulatory Authority' (PEMRA) issued a notice against Udaari calming that it had inappropriate content for Television audiences. However, on 25 May 2016 Momina Duraid responded PREMRA regarding the reality of society and responded the issue, as a result the issue was taken back. Further more Duraid stated that, We feel that Pemra might have been misled by a group of people who would never want our society to raise and flourish. We will explain our view point and present it with evidence. We are attaching articles and feedback supporting Udaari with the our reply. Following this Udaari received support from several audiences and various TV Artists.
Awards and accolades
- 2016 in Pakistani television
- List of programs broadcast by Hum TV
- Mann Mayal
- Mata-e-Jaan Hai Tu
- "Udaari Drama". Hum TV. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- "Urwa Hocane's latest TV Drama Udaari explores class divions through Music". Sadaf Haider. Dawn. 11 April 2016. Retrieved 28 June 2016.
- Haider, Sadaf (11 April 2016). "Here's the ultimate list of Pakistani dramas you must watch in 2016". The Express Tribune. Retrieved 1 May 2016.
- "Popular Pakistani television drama Humsafar reaches Toronto fans via web". The Star. 16 February 2012. Retrieved 29 February 2012.
- "Mata-e-Jaan Hai Tu drama serial's composition". The Express Tribune. 12 February 2012. Retrieved 25 February 2012.
- "Diyar-e-Dil opens with a bang and is a visual treat". Sadaf Haider. Dawn News. 19 March 2015. Retrieved 7 April 2015.
- "Udaari makes a decent start on Hum TV". Rajj Badhaan. Biz Asia. 11 April 2016. Retrieved 30 July 2016.
- "Overnights: Star Plus & Hum TV top weekend ratings". Rajj Badhaan. Bizasia. 18 April 2016. Retrieved 30 July 2016.
- "Hum Europe Weekly Data April 17, 2016". BARB UK. Retrieved 2 September 2016.
- "SYTYCD starts on &TV UK". Raj Baddan. BizAsia. 25 April 2016. Retrieved 30 July 2016.
- "Hum Europe weekly data, April 24, 2016". BARB UK. Retrieved 2 September 2016.
- "TOIFA 2016 on &TV peaks at 100k on Sunday". Rajj Baddhan. Bizasia. 2 May 2016. Retrieved 31 July 2016.
- "Hum Europe Weekly Data, May 1, 2016". BARB UK. Retrieved 2 September 2016.
- "Overnights: 'Udaari' leads 20:00 slot on Hum TV". Rajj Baddhan. Bizasia. 9 May 2016. Retrieved 31 July 2016.
- "Hum Europe Weekly Data, May 8, 2016". BARB UK. Retrieved 2 September 2016.
- "Rishtey springs surprise on Sunday in UK". Rajj Badhaan. Bizasia. 16 May 2016. Retrieved 30 July 2016.
- "Hum Europe May 15, 2016". BARB UK. Retrieved 2 September 2016.
- "Overnights: SAB TV surprises on Sunday in UK". Rajj Badhan. Bizasia. 23 May 2016. Retrieved 30 July 2016.
- "IPL 2016 Finale garners 100k viewers". Rajj Badhaan. Bizasia. 30 May 2016. Retrieved 30 July 2016.
- "Hum Europe May 29, 2016". BARB UK. Retrieved 9 October 2016.
- "Overnights: Singh is Bling boosts &TV on Sunday". Raj Baddhan. Bizasia. 6 June 2016. Retrieved 31 July 2016.
- "Overnights: 'YHM' & 'Mere Angne Mein' lead on sluggish Sunday". Raj Baddhan. Bizasia. 13 June 2016. Retrieved 31 July 2016.
- "Hum Europe June 12, 2016". BARB UK. Retrieved 2 September 2016.
- "&TV's welcome back beats Bajirao Mastani on Sunday". Raj Baddhan. Bizasia. 20 June 2016. Retrieved 31 July 2016.
- "Hum Europe June 19, 2016". BARB UK. Retrieved 2 September 2016.
- "Udaari peaks with over 100k on Hum TV". Raj Baddhan. Bizasia. 27 May 2016. Retrieved 31 July 2016.
- "Hum Europe June 26, 2016". BARB UK. Retrieved 2 September 2016.
- "Dance + 2 slips IGT 7 climbs". Raj Baddhan. Bizasia. 4 July 2016. Retrieved 31 July 2016.
- "Hum Europe July 3, 2016". BARB UK. Retrieved 2 September 2016.
- "Overnights IIFA 2016 shocks with low figures". Raj Baddhan. Bizasia. 11 July 2016. Retrieved 31 July 2016.
- "Hum Europe July 10, 2016". BARB UK. Retrieved 2 September 2016.
- "Fan proves a hit for SAB TV on Sunday". Raj Baddhan. Bizasia. 18 July 2016. Retrieved 31 July 2016.
- "Hum Europe July 17, 2016". BARB UK. Retrieved 2 September 2016.
- "24 India Season 2 slows on Sunday". Raj Baddhan. Bizasia. 25 July 2016. Retrieved 31 July 2016.
- "Hum Europe July 24, 2016". BARB UK. Retrieved 2 September 2016.
- "'The Voice & 'Fitoor' give &TV an edge". Raj Baddhan. BizAsia. 1 August 2016. Event occurs at 13:33:00. Retrieved 4 August 2016.
- "Hum Europe July 25, 2016". BARB UK. Retrieved 9 October 2016.
- "'Udaari' smashes Sunday UK ratings". Raj Baddhan. BizAsia. 8 August 2016. Event occurs at 10:43:00. Retrieved 8 August 2016.
- "Hum Europe August, 2016". BARB UK. Retrieved 9 October 2016.
- "Overnights: 'Azhar' gives SAB TV an edge over rivals". Raj Baddhan. BizAsia. 15 August 2016. Retrieved 20 August 2016.
- "Hum Europe August 14, 2016". BARB UK. Retrieved 9 October 2016.
- "Overnights: 'Jhalak' gathers pace on Sunday in UK". Rajj Baddhan. Bizasia. 22 August 2016. Retrieved 22 August 2016.
- "Hum Europe August 21, 2016". BARB UK. Retrieved 9 October 2016.
- "Overnights: Hum TV crosses 100k again with 'Udaari'". Rajj Badhaan. BizAsia. 29 August 2016. Retrieved 2 September 2016.
- "Hum Europe August 28, 2016". BARB UK. Retrieved 9 October 2016.
- "Overnights: 'Udaari' keeps Hum TV above 100k on Sunday". Rajj Badhaan. BizAsia. 5 September 2016. Retrieved 15 September 2016.
- "Hum Europe September 24, 2016". BARB UK. Retrieved 9 October 2016.
- "Housefull 3 tops movies on Sunday". Rajj Badhaan. BizAsia. 12 September 2016. Retrieved 15 September 2016.
- "Star Gold strikes gold with 'Sholay'". Rajj Badhaan. BizAsia. 19 September 2016. Retrieved 19 September 2016.
- "'Devdas' scores for SAB TV on Sunday". Rajj Badhaan. BizAsia. 26 September 2016. Retrieved 26 September 2016.
- "Udaari - Coming Soon on HUM". Saud. Review It. Retrieved 27 June 2016.
- "Udaari is as much for males as it is for females". Rozina Butto. HIP. 9 April 2016. Retrieved 27 June 2016.
- "A big slap on Pakistan Idol judges, A hit song Naina lage released".
- Haider, Sadaf (22 June 2016). "Udaari is proof: A TV drama doesn't need helpless women to be a hit". Retrieved 23 July 2016.
- "Udaari replaces Gul-e-Rana". Rozina Butto. HIP. 5 April 2016. Retrieved 30 June 2016.
- "Meet the cast of Udaari". Enews paper. 7 April 2016. Retrieved 30 June 2016.
- "Udaari is proof:A TV drama doesn't need helpless women to be hit". Sadaf Haider. Dawn. 22 June 2016. Retrieved 30 June 2016.
- "Television sequels - the next big trend?". Maleeha Hamid Siddiqui. Dawn. 2 February 2013. Retrieved 30 June 2016.
- "Farhan Saeed & Urwa Hocane to Star in 'Mere Ajnabi'". Brandsynaro. 15 June 2015. Missing or empty
- "'Mere Ajnabi has yet to show Urwas-Farhan's sizzling Chemistry". Kiran Farooqi. HIP. 3 August 2015. Retrieved 30 June 2016.
- "Mere Ajnaabi". Sheeba Khan. Dawn. 8 July 2015. Retrieved 30 June 2016.
- "Can a victim of abuse ever shed her past?". Sadaf Haider. Dawn. 16 April 2015. Retrieved 30 June 2016.
- "Udaari is proof: A TV drama doesn't need helpless women to be a hit". Dawn Images. 22 June 2016. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- "Hina Alitaf Khan to play Zebu in Udaari". Maryam. Review It. 7 July 2016. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- "Hina Altaf is going to play the role of Zebo in Udaari". Nimra Zafar. Style.pk. 28 June 2016. Retrieved 1 October 2016.
- "Mawra & Urwa's Brother Ins-e-Yazdan To Make Acting Debut". Maryam. Review it. Retrieved 22 July 2016.
- "Ins-e-Yazdan's Interview". Maryam. Review It. Retrieved 22 July 2016.
- "Another Hocane to debut and that too in Udaari". Sarah khan. HIP in Pakistan. 12 June 2016. Retrieved 22 July 2016.
- "Redefining TV's regressive narrative". International The News.
- "Mawra Urwa brother Ins-e-Yazdan set make acting debut/". Express Tribune. 6 June 2016. Retrieved 22 July 2016.
- "Hero turns villain: Here's why Ahsan Khan chose to play a child molester". Aleena Abid. Express Tribune. 28 April 2016. Retrieved 30 June 2016.
- "Ahsan Khan to play the antagonist in Farhat Ishtiaq's 'Udaar'". Ahmed Sarym. hip.
- "Gohar and Hamza; Friends who act together, stay together". HIP. 14 August 2015. Retrieved 20 September 2015.
- "HUM TV's Drama 'Udaari' Ft. Urwa Hocane: OST, Timings & Schedule". Hareem Zafar. Brandynario. 4 April 2016. Retrieved 8 July 2016.
- "Udaari OST". Pakium. 16 May 2016. Retrieved 8 July 2016.
- "Udaari's OST Topping Charts - Reviewit.pk". Retrieved 23 July 2016.
- Naqvi, Ahmer (30 May 2016). "Pop goes the silver screen! How musicians in Pakistan found their niche in cinema - again". Retrieved 23 July 2016.
- "VIDEO: Watch Hadiqa Kiani's mesmerizing new track for Udaari". Retrieved 23 July 2016.
- "Plot & Synopsis of Hum's latest play Udaari". trending in social. 13 April 2016. Retrieved 30 June 2016.
- "Team Udaari spreads on faces of locals in Mirpurkhas". Rozina Bhutto. hip. 15 April 2016. Retrieved 30 June 2016.
- "Meet and Greet the cast of Udaari". TrendinginSocial. 8 April 2016. Retrieved 30 June 2016.
- "Udaari international timings in UK, USA and UAE". Hum TV. Retrieved 27 December 2015.
- "MediaLogic Report April 2016" (PDF). MediaLogic Pakistan and Kantar. 28 December 2016. Retrieved 19 January 2016.
- "MediaLogic Report September 2016" (PDF). MediaLogic Pakistan and Kantar. 28 December 2016. Retrieved 19 January 2016.
- "MediaLogic Monthly Review (March 2016)" (PDF). MediaLogic. 1 April 2016. Retrieved 10 January 2017.
- "MediaLogic Monthly Review (April 2016)" (PDF). MediaLogic. 1 April 2016. Retrieved 10 January 2017.
- "MediaLogic Monthly Review (May 2016)" (PDF). MediaLogic. 1 June 2016. Retrieved 10 January 2017.
- "MediaLogic Monthly Review (June 2016)" (PDF). MediaLogic. Retrieved 10 January 2017.
- "MediaLogic Monthly Review (August 2016)" (PDF). MediaLogic. Retrieved 10 January 2017.
- "MediaLogic Monthly Review (September 2016)" (PDF). MediaLogic. Retrieved 10 January 2017.
- "Ahsan Khan's performance from Udaari earns him praise from Bollywood". Entertainment Desk. Express Tribune. 17 August 2016. Retrieved 20 September 2016.
- "Urwa Hocane's latest TV drama Udaari explores class divisions through music". Sadaf Haider. Dawn News. 11 April 2016. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- "Authenticity and reality; 'Udaari' has it all". Sheeba Khan. Dawn. 27 April 2016. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- "Breaking new ground: there's more to Udaari than just child sexual abuse". Sadaf Haider. HIP. 20 May 2016. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- "Breaking new ground: there's more to Udaari than just child sexual abuse". Sheeba Khan. Dawn News. 20 May 2016. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- "Breaking new ground: there's more to Udaari than just child sexual abuse". Sheeba Khan. Dawn News. 20 May 2016. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- "'Main victim nahi, survivor hoon': Udaari delivers its most important message yet". Sadaf Haider. Dawn. 1 September 2016. Retrieved 15 September 2016.
- "After Udaari, Urwa tells women to talk about issues that aren't highlighted in society". web desk. Pakistan Today. 22 September 2016. Retrieved 2 October 2016.
- "Hero turns villain: Here's why Ahsan Khan chose to play a child molester". Alveena Abid. Express Tribune. 28 April 2016. Retrieved 15 September 2016.
- Hamza Rao (4 August 2016). "Ahsan Khan wants to do more than Udaari, makes huge pledge to child abuse victims". Daily Pakistan Global. Retrieved 15 September 2016.
- "Udaari Episode 22 - Breaking Stereotypes". Review It. 4 September 2016. Retrieved 2 October 2016.
- "Udaari Last Episode - Bol Ke Lab Azad Hain Tere". Fatima Awan. Review It. 25 September 2016. Retrieved 2 October 2016.
- "PEMRA Issues A Notice Against Drama Serial Udaari". Saud. Review It. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- "Child abuse drama Udaari gets PEMRA notice for 'immoral content' and that's the problem". Sadaf Haider. Dawn News. 13 May 2016. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- "PEMRA issues show-cause notice to Udaari". The Express Tribune. 13 May 2016. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- "Udaari: Child abuse is disturbing, but it exists in Pakistan, PEMRA!". Fatima Azhar. The Express Tribune. 16 May 2016. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- "You are willing to ban Udaari, but are you willing to jail the man who molested me?". The Express Tribune. 25 May 2016. Retrieved 28 August 2016.
- "Producer Momina Duraid responds to PEMRA". The Express Tribune. 16 May 2016.
- "Producer Momina Duraid responds to Udaari's ban by PEMRA". Ahmad Hussain. 16 May 2016. Missing or empty
- "Producer Momina Duraid responds to PREMRA". The Express Tribune. 16 May 2016.
- "The awards will be held in Karachi on April 23rd and the voting lines are open till April 6, 2016". HIP. 6 April 2016. Retrieved 4 April 2016.