|Udai Sagar Lake|
|Type||reservoir, fresh water, polymictic|
|Max. length||4 km (2.5 mi)|
|Max. width||2.5 km (1.6 mi)|
|Surface area||10.5 km2 (4.1 sq mi)|
|Max. depth||9 m (30 ft)|
Udaisagar Lake, one of the five prominent lakes of Udaipur, is situated around 13 km in the east of Udaipur. This lake was built by Maharana Udai Singh in 1565. Udai Sagar Lake is around 4 km in length, 2.5 km in width and 9 meters deep at the maximum.
In 1559, Maharana Udai Singh constructed a dam on Berach River to ensure adequate supply of water in his kingdom. Udai Sagar Lake was developed as an outcome of this dam. This dam at Udaisagar Lake drains about 479 km2, and covers an area of 10.5 km2.
The Udai Sagar Lake is approachable by road from the Udaipur City. Visitors can take Local buses, Tongas, auto-rickshaws and taxis to reach Udai Sagar. There is no entry ticket levied on visit to Udai Sagar.
Threats to the lake
According to a study made on the environmental pollution of Udaisagar, Udai sagar lake's water revealed high phosphate contents, due to discharge of pollutants from surrounding phosphorite mines, chemical factories, distillary, sewage and domestic waste from settlements and hotels. All these pollutants, reaching this lake through the River Ahar, make the water unhygenic for human consumption and unfavorable for survival of aquatic life.
Lake restoration works
The task of restoration and transformation of the Lake Udai Sagar and Goverdhan Sagar is taken up by National Lake Conservation Program (NLCP). Udaipur is the first city in the state where all 4 lakes will be developed under the NLCP.
The key undertakings under this program include:
- Curbing pollution in the lakes,
- Restrictions on disposal of waste products and sewerage in the lakes,
- Restrictions on mining activities in the catchment areas,
- Conservation of wildlife around the lakes,
- Protection of birds as well as heritage properties.
- "The Five Prominent and Most Beautiful Lakes of Udaipur". walkthroughindia.com. WalkThroughIndia. Retrieved 5 July 2015.
- "Udai Sagar Lake". discoveredindia.com. Udai Sagar Lake. Retrieved 4 July 2015.
- "Lake Udai Sagar". gvw.in. GVW.in. Retrieved 4 July 2015.
- Das, B. K. (1999). "Environmental pollution of Udaisagar lake and impact of phosphate mine, Udaipur, Rajasthan, India". Environmental Geology. 38 (3): 244–248. doi:10.1007/s002540050421.
- "Goverdhan Sagar & Udai Sagar to get makeover under NLCP". Udaipurtimes.com. Udaipurtimes.com. 2015-03-03. Retrieved 5 July 2015.