|Born||14 January 1955|
Udayaraj Khanal (Nepali: उदयराज खनाल, born 14 January 1955) is a Nepali physicist specializing in cosmology. Having worked in the Central Department of Physics for 34 years, he is now an emeritus professor at Tribhuvan University. As a working professor, he taught mathematical physics and cosmology to graduate students. Moreover, he was also actively engaged in the development of theoretical physics curriculum offered by the department.
Khanal is also a prominent science writer in Nepal, having written articles for Kantipur, Annapurna Post, and Himal Khabarpatrika. His articles tend to communicate science and its importance to a wider general Nepali populace. He has been the author or co-author of over 15 scientific publications.
Khanal was born to Yadunath and Kamala Khanal on 14 January 1955. His father, Yadunath Khanal, was a pioneer Nepali diplomat who served as the Nepali ambassador to India, China, and the United States.
Khanal received his PhD in astrophysics from Delhi University. He joined the physics department of Tribhuvan University in 1982 and retired in 2016. His style of lecturing was widely revered by his students and colleagues alike.
Awards and honours
Khanal has been the recipient of numerous national and international awards; some of which include:
- Excellent Service Award, Tribhuvan University (2002)
- Education Day Award (1993)
- Young Scientist Award, Nepal Academy of Science and Technology (1989)
- UGC Junior Research Fellow, Delhi University (1981)
Dr. Khanal has appeared several times in Nepali Television sets as well as public forums where he discussed about science and try to solve popular misconceptions prevailing in Nepali Society.
- Baniya, Rajkumar (21 November 2016). "भेट्रान भौतिकशास्त्री". Nepal Saptahik (in Nepali). Retrieved 25 December 2016.
- "Our PhD Students". tucdp.edu.np. Central Department of Physics, TU. Retrieved 11 August 2016.
- Khanal, Udayaraj (20 February 2014). "गल्तीबाट सिक्नु विज्ञान". Kantipur (in Nepali). Retrieved 1 January 2017.
- Khanal, Udayaraj (10 December 2014). "भौतिकशास्त्र नै मेरो रोजाई". revoscience.com (in Nepali). Retrieved 12 August 2016.
- Mahatara, Sharad (7 August 2012). "नेपाली वैज्ञानिक उदयराज खनाल". Hank Weekly (in Nepali). Retrieved 11 August 2016.
- Koselinews Com (5 October 2016), Astrology is pseudo science: Prof. Dr. Udaya RaJ Khanal, retrieved 28 April 2018
- EMulyankan (16 March 2018), On the death of Stephen Hawking | Interview | Udayraj Khanal, retrieved 28 April 2018
- Stxavier College (29 November 2014), A conversation with URK Sir, retrieved 28 April 2018
- Mountain TV (10 November 2014), INTERVIEW WITH PROF DR UDAYARAJ KHANAL, retrieved 28 April 2018
- Bichāḥ (3 December 2015), 100 Years of General Relativity: Unity - Atomism, Relativism and Humanism, retrieved 28 April 2018