Ude hishigi ude gatame
|Ude hishigi ude gatame|
Ude-Hishigi-Ude-Gatame (腕挫腕固) is one of the official 29 grappling techniques of Kodokan Judo. It is one of the nine joint techniques of the Kansetsu-waza list, one of the three grappling lists in Judo's
In the Ude-hishigi-ude-gatame arm lock, Tori executes an arm lock technique by hugging one of Uke’s arms against their chest. This is often in response to an escape attempt while trying to hold Uke down. Tori uses this technique specifically when Uke attempts to escape by extending an arm to grab Tori’s collar. Tori takes control of the extended arm with both hands and traps it to their chest. Tori draws Uke’s wrist to one side of the face and presses their knee against Uke’s side. With Uke then rolled onto one side with their arm trapped and their side locked, Tori employs the lever principle to hyperextend and bend Uke’s arm. While leaning back, Tori pulls Uke trapped arm toward his stomach to apply the elbow joint lock. Although it is possible to submit Uke if the technique is properly applied, there is a low percentage of finishing a match this manner. In actual competition, this technique is typically used as a transition to an Osaekomi-waza (pinning-hold technique).
Similar Techniques, Variants, and Aliases
- Straight Arm Armlock
- Tachiai-Ude-Hishigi-Ude-Gatame is described in The Canon Of Judo, and is demonstrated by Kyuzo Mifune in The Essence Of Judo. The throw and submission is quite similar to Danzan Ryu's (DZR) Tatsumaki Jime, which is found in DZR's Shime No Te list.
- Ude-Hishigi-Betsu-Gata is also described in The Canon Of Judo, this technique is similar to the second variation below, Ude-Hishigi-Ude-Gatame-Ni, except that Uke remains on their feet while Tori wraps one of his legs around Uke's arm.
- Hiza-Gatame-Betsu-Gata too is described in The Canon Of Judo, this technique also bears resemblance to Ude-Hishigi-Juji-Gatame, except that uke's far arm is held and pressure is applied as in Ude-Hishigi-Ude-Gatame. Uke, originally on their back, are transferred sideways by the technique with their chest becoming placed against tori's shin and knee.
The video, The Essence of Judo featuring Kyuzo Mifune, demonstrates variations of Ude-Hishigi-Ude-Gatame.
- Neil Ohlenkamp (copyright © 1999/2001). "Official International Judo Federation Techniques". JudoInfo.com. Retrieved 5 June 2012. Check date values in:
- Neil Ohlenkamp (copyright © 2004/2005). "Classification of Techniques in Kodokan Judo". JudoInfo.com. Retrieved 5 June 2012. Check date values in:
- Neil Ohlenkamp (copyright © 1995/2006). "The 29 Official Grappling Techniques of Kodokan Judo". JudoInfo.com & Encino Judo Club. Retrieved 5 June 2012. Check date values in:
- Mifune, Kyuzo (2004,1965,1960). The Canon Of Judo. Kodansha International Ltd. pp. 149–150. ISBN 4-7700-2979-9. Check date values in: