|Music by||Manikanth Kadri|
|Edited by||Kishore Te.|
|24 June 2011|
Udhayan is an Indian Tamil action film directed by debutant Chaplin. Starring Arulnithi, in his second film, alongside newcomer Pranitha, the film features musical score by saxophone player Kadri Gopalnath's son Manikanth Kadri. A Muthamizh Padaippagam production, it was started during Pongal 2011 and released on 24 June 2011 with mixed reviews.
- Arulnithi as Udhayan and Vasanth
- Pranitha as Priya Anandhakrishnan
- Ashish Vidyarthi as Ayyanaar
- Bhanu Sri Mehra as Manimekalai
- Santhanam as Mukundhan
- P.Ravi Shankar
- Debi Dutta in a special appearance
The film received mixed reviews from critics. The Hindu wrote, "A commercial attempt in the oft-seen genre, you groan in agony when the film opens with SUVs, knives, thugs, killer camps and crass ‘bosses.' Can't put Chaplin in the dock for it, because he also throws in a gentle romance and some suspense to bolster matters". Sify wrote, "Chaplin goes out of his way to make him (Arulnithi) a large than life hero who can romance, dance, and fight but ends up with egg on his face...The film just does not work". The New Indian Express wrote, "Udhayan apart from its few enjoyable moments, particularly in the earlier part, is a staple masala fare. With a story-line that is oft-repeated and predictable, it’s a passable entertainer". Behindwoods.com gave the film 1.5 out of 5 and stated, "Overused masala recipe, only for time-pass entertainment lovers". Nowrunning.com rated it 1.5 out of 5 and stated "Udhayan abides to enhance Arulnidhi's career and make him a bankable star. The viewer has nothing to take back with him, though." Indiaglitz.com stated "Udhayan is trendy and stylish. Chaplin has laced commercial elements in a good mix. However, a predictable story with a 'nothing new to offer' feel mars the flow."
- "IndiaGlitz - Arulnidhi becomes Udhayan - Tamil Movie News".
- "Arulnithi's new film launched".
- Rangarajan, Malathi (2011-05-14). "Wit is the word". The Hindu. Chennai, India.
- "Bloodlust and beyond". 2 July 2011 – via The Hindu.
- "Sify Movies - Review listing".
- "UDHAYAN REVIEW - UDHAYAN MOVIE REVIEW".
- "Udhayan Review - Tamil Movie Review by Rohit Ramachandran". Nowrunning.com. 2011-06-24. Retrieved 2011-06-24.
- "Udhayan review. Udhayan Tamil movie review, story, rating - IndiaGlitz.com".
|This article about a Tamil-language film of the 2010s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|