Ulfkotte at a Pegida demonstration, 2015
20 January 1960 |
Lippstadt, West Germany
Udo Ulfkotte (born 20 January 1960) is a German journalist. He was formerly an editor for the German main daily newspaper, Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung (FAZ). Ulfkotte studied jurisprudence and politics at Freiburg and London. Between 1986 and 1998 Ulfkotte lived predominantly in Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan, Saudi Arabia, Oman, United Arab Emirates, Egypt and Jordan.
Ulfkotte publishes a magazine called "Whistleblower", which reports on topics not covered by the German media.
Ulfkotte had planned to run for the Hamburg local elections in 2008, as number two on the Centre Party's list, but later withdrew in June/July 2007. On July 2007, Ulfkotte announced he would found a new national party.
Ulfkotte was born into a Christian family, but by the age of 21, he abandoned Christianity and became an atheist. When he went to live in Islamic countries, he converted to Islam while living in Herat, Afghanistan. He later abandoned Islam and is now a born-again Christian. He reverted to a conservative and nationalist views, occasionally expressing strong anti-immigrant or anti-Muslim opinions.
The book "Bought Journalists"
Since beginning of the Russian intervention in Ukraine Ulfkotte became a vocal critic of the Western policy and frequently commented for pro-Russian media, such as Russia Today and Russia Insider who portray him as a whistle-blower disappointed in the corruption of Western media.
According to Ulfkotte, the CIA and German intelligence (BND) bribe journalists in Germany to write pro-NATO propaganda articles, and it is well understood that one may lose their media job if they fail to comply with the pro-Western agenda. In 2014, Ulfkotte published Bought Journalists ("Gekaufte Journalisten"), in which he claims that the CIA and other secret services pay money to journalists to report a particular story in a certain light.
These works are all written in German. English translations of the titles are included here.
- Bought Journalists. How Politicians, Intelligence and High Finance Control German's Mass Media. Kopp, Rottenburg am Neckar 2014, ISBN 3-8644-5143-4
- Holy War in Europe. Eichborn, Frankfurt/Main, 2007, ISBN 3-8218-5577-0
- The War in the Dark. The True Power of the Secret Services. Eichborn, Frankfurt/Main, 2006, ISBN 3-8218-5578-9
- The War in our Cities. As Radical Islamics Infiltrate Germany. Eichborn, Frankfurt/Main 2003, ISBN 3-596-16340-4
- Restaurant economics. Goldmann, Munich 2001, ISBN 3-442-15125-2
- Classified Material Federal Intelligence Service. Koehler und Amelang, Munich, Berlin 1997, ISBN 3-7338-0214-4
- Over work and Expenditure for Paperback. Heyne, Munich updated 1998, ISBN 3-453-14143-1
- Prophets of the Terror. The Secret Network of the Islamics. Goldmann, Munich 2001, ISBN 3-442-15196-1
- Journalists Lie in Such a Way. The Fight for Ratios and Editions. Bertelsmann, Munich 2001, ISBN 3-570-00199-7
- Gene Code J. Novel, Eichborn, Frankfurt/Main, 2001, ISBN 3-8218-0860-8
- Market Place of the Thieves. Bertelsmann, Munich, 1999, ISBN 3-570-00198-9
- Boundless criminally. The risks of the European Union Extension to the East. Bertelsmann, Munich 2004, ISBN 3-570-00200-4
- "'German Wilders' attacks Islam"
- Dr. Ulfkotte's website
- Annette Barthlet Foundation prize winner's list
- (German) hamburg kompakt
- Ferreri, Enza (6 April 2013). "Journalist Dr Udo Ulfkotte: Expelling Muslims Will Help Europe Fight its Financial Crisis". enzaferreri.blogspot.ca. Enza Ferreri. Retrieved 28 February 2015.
- Igor Ogorodnev. "Russia Today: Go back to where you are happy – Udo Ulfkotte on immigration issue". Russia Today. 7:20 minutes in.[dead link]
- "Fake Journalist Udo Ulfkotte Makes A Comeback as Putin Propagandist - Dialog International". www.dialoginternational.com. Retrieved 2 January 2016.
- German Journalist Blows Whistle On How The CIA Controls The Media October 2014
- German journo: European media writing pro-US stories under CIA pressure, RT (TV network)
- Editor of major newspaper says he planted stories for CIA (26 January 2015), Digital Journal
- Periodistas alemanes comprados
- Udo Ulfkotte Homepage (Much of this is in German; includes "Whistleblower" newsletter)
- e.g., The World Upside Down - October 2006
- (German) Jürgen Gottschlich: article on speculations about a US attack vs. Iran, in Der Spiegel, December 2005
- "German Wilders" attacks Islam, Radio Netherlands Worldwide, 13 June 2007