Udom Gabriel Emmanuel
Udom Gabriel Emamanuel
|4th Governor of Akwa Ibom State|
|Assumed office |
29 May 2015
|Preceded by||Godswill Akpabio|
|Born||11 July 1966|
Awa Iman, Onna LGA, Akwa Ibom State, Nigeria
|Parents||Gabriel Emmanuel Nkenang|
|Alma mater||University of Lagos|
Udom Gabriel Emmanuel (born 11 July 1966) is the governor of Akwa Ibom State of Nigeria, in office since 29 May 2015. He contested for the office of governor in the April 2015 elections on the platform of People's Democratic Party. He was re-elected as the governor of Akwa Ibom State on 29 May 2019.
Early life and career
Udom Gabriel Emmanuel was born on July 11, 1966, into the family of Ette Teacher Gabriel Emmanuel Nkenang, a native of Awa Iman in Onna Local Government, Akwa Ibom State, Nigeria. He rose from being a Sunday school leader at United Evangelical Church (QIC) (formerly Qua Iboe Church) to become a bank director. Emmanuel and his family are strong members of United Evangelical Church (QIC), Nigeria.
Emmanuel also served as group head of Income Optimization, Financial Control & Strategic Planning Department at Zenith Bank.
He served as general manager of Zenith Bank Plc. He joined Zenith in 1996 from Diamond Bank Limited and was the pioneer manager of its Lagos Central Branch. He was in charge of the Telecommunications Sector, Income Optimization and Financial & Strategic Planning Group of Zenith Bank Plc. He has over seventeen years financial services experience. He served as an executive director of Zenith Bank Plc.
He is a Chartered Accountant and he trained with Price Water house Coopers. He is a Fellow of the Nigerian Institute of Management. He has attended the Advanced Management Programme at INSEAD, France. Udom holds a bachelor's degree in accounting from the University of Lagos in 1988.
Emmanuel holds a bachelor's degree in accounting from the University of Lagos in 1988. He is a Fellow of the Nigerian Institute of Management. He has attended the Advanced Management Program at INSEAD, France.
Family and personal life
Emmanuel is married to Martha Udom Emmanuel. Udom Emmanuel's father, Ette Teacher Gabriel Emmanuel Nkenang, was a native of Awa Iman in Onna Local Government, Akwa Ibom State, Nigeria. Mr. G. E. Nkanang was an educator, a Head Master and teacher. The Udom's are Christians. Udom Emmanuel is a serving Deacon and they are altogether very active in the faith. He is a Christian of the United Evangelical Church (QIC) (founded as Qua Iboe Church) faith.
Appointments and politics
In 2014, Emmanuel contested for the governorship of Akwa Ibom State in a primary election and defeated 22 other aspirants to emerge the candidate of the Akwa Ibom State People's Democratic Party (PDP).
In 2015, Emmanuel was elected Governor of Akwa Ibom State, Nigeria. He contested under the platform of the People's Democratic Party (PDP), he won with 999,071 votes to defeat APC's candidate Umana Okon Umana who scored 89,865 votes of the All Progressive Congress and was declared elected by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).
In the March 9, 2019 Akwa Ibom State gubernatorial election Emmanuel was re-elected as Governor of Akwa Ibom State defeating 44 other candidates in the election. He polled 519,712 votes as against that of his closest rival Nsima Ekere of the All Progressive Congress party who had 171,978 votes.
Emmanuel's Five-Point Agenda
- Wealth Creation
- Economic and Political Inclusion
- Poverty Alleviation
- Infrastructural Consolidation and Expansion
- Job Creation
- First Led factory at Itam
- First Shoprite at Ibom Tropicana
- Automobile Assembly Plant at Itu
- Construction of major Federal roads
- Youth Empowerment Programmes (AKEES)
- DAAR Communications Broadcasting Complex, Abak
- Ibom Air
- On March 18, 2017 Udom Emmanuel was given the 2016 Leadership award for Best Governor of the Year.
- Nigeria sports Governor of the year award, November, 2017.
- "Kinsmen Celebrate Governor Udom Emmanuel With Inaugural Reception". Retrieved 9 October 2016.
- "Udom Emmanuel Profile". Bloomberg.com. Retrieved 12 December 2016.
- "undefined undefined undefined undefined: Executive Profile & Biography – Businessweek". Retrieved 9 October 2016.
- "Udom Gabriel Emmanuel Takes Over From Umana Okon Umana As Akwa Ibom SSG - Pointblank News". Pointblank News. 31 July 2013. Retrieved 2 January 2018.
- Akinloye, Dimeji. "Nigeria Elections 2015: PDP's Udom Emmanuel wins Akwa Ibom guber race – Politics – Pulse". Retrieved 9 October 2016.
- Government, Akwa Ibom State. "404 Error". Retrieved 9 October 2016.
- email@example.com (18 March 2017). "AKWA IBOM GOVERNOR EMMANUEL SHINES AT LEADERSHIP AWARD: PHOTOS - The Killer Punch News". The Killer Punch News. Retrieved 18 March 2017.
- "LEADERSHIP Conference And Awards Holds Today At 7pm |". leadership.ng. Retrieved 18 March 2017.
- "Emmanuel: A goldfish on national stage - Vanguard News". Vanguard News. 17 March 2017. Retrieved 18 March 2017.
- "GOV. UDOM EMMANUEL WINS 2017 NIGERIA SPORTS GOVERNOR OF THE YEAR AWARD - Akwa Ibom State Government". Akwa Ibom State Government. 20 November 2017. Retrieved 24 April 2018.