Uganda Christian University
|Uganda Christian University (UCU)|
|Motto||Alpha And Omega: God The Beginning And The End |
|Chancellor||Archbishop Stanley Ntagali|
|Vice-Chancellor||John Musisi Senyonyi PhD|
|Campus||Urban Main Campus
Rulal Capuses: Kabale, Mbale & Arua.
UCU's Main Campus, with approximately 8,000 students, is in the town of Mukono, approximately 22 kilometres (14 mi), by road, east of Uganda's capital city, Kampala, on the Kampala-Jinja Highway. The coordinates of the main campus are:0°21'27.0"N, 32°44'29.0"E (Latitude:0.357500; Longitude:32.741389).
UCU has a regional constituent college Bishop Barham University College, with about 1,000 students, located in the town of Kabale, approximately 420 kilometres (260 mi), by road, southwest of Kampala. Other regional campuses include UCU Mbale Campus, which is in Mbale, at the foot of Mt Elgon in eastern Uganda. Also, UCU Arua Campus is in Arua in northwestern Uganda.
UCU was founded in 1997 by the Anglican Church of Uganda from its premier theological seminary/college Bishop Tucker Theological College, which was established in 1913 and named after the pioneer missionary bishop Alfred Robert Tucker. UCU's Chancellor is the archbishop of Uganda, Stanley Ntagali.
The first vice chancellor, Stephen Noll, was installed in 2000. He is an American Anglican priest, theologian, and missionary. He helped UCU to receive a government charter in 2004, the first of its kind in Uganda. Noll's term as vice vhancellor ended in 2010.
John Senyonyi is the second vice chancellor of UCU. The 54 year old mathematician and evangelist joined UCU as a chaplain in 2001. He rose to become the deputy vice chancellor for finance and administration. Later, he became the first deputy vice chancellor in charge of development and external relations, the first such position in any Ugandan university.
Senyonyi is a graduate of the University of Nairobi with a bachelor of science with honors degree. He holds a masters degree in theology from Trinity International University, USA, and a Ph.D. in statistical mathematics from the University of Melbourne.
Senyonyi is the founding director of Family Life Network, the chairman of mission’s committee of the African’s Evangelistic Enterprise, and a member of the GAFCON theological working group.
UCU has expanded its programmes to include theology, education, social work, business, law, mass communication, development studies, information technology, library and information science engineering and nursing. It has innovated a number of modular courses in education, counselling, organizational leadership, maternal health and health administration.
UCU was the first affiliate of the Council for Christian Colleges and Universities (CCCU) from Africa. In 2004, the CCCU and UCU initiated a Uganda Studies Program for students from North American colleges to spend a semester at UCU.
While the majority of faculty and students are Ugandan, UCU has attracted students from other African Great Lakes countries, and a number of expatriate staff from North America, Europe, Australia and New Zealand. These international ties are in part historic through societies like the Church Mission Society and in part new ties formed among churches of the Anglican Communion.
Faculties and departments
The university is divided into the following schools, faculties and departments:
- Bishop Tucker School of Divinity and Theology
- Faculty of Social Sciences
- Faculty of Business and Administration
- Faculty of Education and Arts
- Faculty of Law
- Faculty of Science and Technology
- Faculty of Health sciences
- School of Research & Post Graduate Studies
- Department of Languages & Literature
- Department of Mass Communication
- Department of Development Studies
- Department of Health Science
- Department of Foundation Studies
- Department of Information and Communication Technology
- inter national relationship and diplomacy
- Uganda Christian University Homepage
- UCU Celebrates 100 Years Since The Founding of Bishop Tucker Theological College In 1913
- The Standard - UCU's community newspaper
- All the breaking stories and Hostel Buzz from UCU
- "Uganda Christian University Motto". Retrieved 23 May 2015.
- "Travel Distance Between Kampala And Mukono With Map". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 23 May 2015.
- Google, . "Location of Uganda Christian University Main Campus At Google Maps". Google Maps. Retrieved 23 May 2015.
- Henry Nsubuga, and Cecilia Okoth (5 July 2013). "Archbishop Ntagali Installed As Uganda Christian University Chancellor". New Vision (Kampala). Retrieved 23 May 2015.
- Administrator, . (25 October 2009). "UCU Vice Chancellor Prepares To Step Down". The Observer (Uganda). Retrieved 23 May 2015.
- Timbiti, Watuwa (2011). "From A Humble Start, UCU Leaps Forward". New Vision Mobile (Kampala). Retrieved 23 May 2015.
- Ward, Kevin (2011). "New Chapter For Uganda Christian University". © 2009-2015 Uganda Church Association. Retrieved 23 May 2015.
- UCU Academic Matters