|Directed by||Kelly Asbury|
|Screenplay by||Alison Peck|
|Story by||Robert Rodriguez|
|Music by||Christopher Lennertz|
|Edited by||Julie Rogers|
|Distributed by||STX Entertainment|
UglyDolls is an upcoming American computer-animated jukebox musical comedy film directed by Kelly Asbury, produced by Robert Rodriguez through his production company, Troublemaker Studios, and written by Alison Peck with a story by Rodriguez. It is based on the plush toys of the same name. The film features the voices of Kelly Clarkson, Nick Jonas, Janelle Monáe, Pitbull, Blake Shelton, Wanda Sykes, Gabriel Iglesias, Wang Leehom, Emma Roberts, Bebe Rexha, Charli XCX, and Lizzo. It is scheduled to be released on May 3, 2019, by STX Entertainment.
Moxy (Kelly Clarkson) and her UglyDoll friends travel to the other side of the mountain where Uglyville nestles and finds the town of Perfection, a place where everyone is perfect. There they encounter Lou (Nick Jonas), who gathers recruits to train for perfection and ultimately find a child in the real world. Eventually, the UglyDolls learn that being oneself is more important than perfection.
- Kelly Clarkson as Moxy, the leader of the group and the main protagonist. She has insatiable curiosity, limitless confidence, and the ability to make others feel great about exactly who they are, but she's also looking for something more.
- Nick Jonas as Lou, a tough talking, buff leader from Perfection and the main antagonist. He is a perfect doll who trains recruits for perfection and has contempt for the UglyDolls for falling short of his standards..
- Janelle Monáe as Mandy, a lonely perfect doll who longs for a friend.
- Pitbull as Ugly Dog, Moxy's closet friend. He's also got a smart collar with every gadget you can imagine.
- Blake Shelton as Ox, the Unofficial Mayor of Uglyville and a mentor to all the other UglyDolls. His main concern is making sure the UglyDolls are safe, but he's also always on the lookout for a party.
- Wanda Sykes as Wage, a chef by trade and can be frequently found cooking up some amazing and inventive culinary concoctions.
- Wang Leehom as Lucky Bat, a wise, thoughtful and mysterious advisor, but he's a little insecure about his abilities.
- Gabriel Iglesias as Babo, the largest, hungriest and handiest of the UglyDolls.
- Emma Roberts as Wedgehead, the newest citizen of Uglyvile.
- Bebe Rexha as a perfect doll
- Charli XCX as Kitty, a perfect doll
- Lizzo as Lydia, a perfect doll
In May 2011, it was announced that Illumination had acquired the rights to Uglydolls to make an animated feature film. Chris Meledandri was set to produce, with a screenplay from Larry Stuckey. The original creators, David Horvath and Sun-Min Kim, were set to executive produce. Four years later, in 2015, Variety magazine reported that an animated film based on Uglydolls would be the first project produced by STX Entertainment's new "family and animation" division. On March 28, 2017, Robert Rodriguez signed on to direct, write, and produce the film, with a release date set for May 10, 2019. The film would be produced by Troublemaker Studios and OddLot Entertainment, with animation being provided by Reel FX Creative Studios.
In March 2018, it was announced that the voice of rapper Pitbull would be featured in the film for an unknown role, and he would also provide an original song for the film. In May 2018, it was announced that Kelly Asbury had signed on to direct the feature film. In July 2018, another singer Kelly Clarkson joined the voice cast of the film as the voice of Moxy, and will provide an original song for the film In August 2018, Nick Jonas joined the voice cast of the film, and he would also perform an original song for the film. In September 2018, comedians Wanda Sykes and Gabriel Iglesias joined the film. On September 20, 2018, it was announced that country music singer Blake Shelton had joined the film, and will voice Ox, as well as performing original music. In October 2018, it was announced that Janelle Monáe and Emma Roberts had been cast in the film.
The film will feature original music from Kelly Clarkson, Pitbull, Nick Jonas, Blake Shelton, and Janelle Monáe. The musical score is composed by Christopher Lennertz while songs are written by Lennertz and Glenn Slater. The film's soundtrack will be released by Atlantic Records.
UglyDolls was initially scheduled to be released on May 10, 2019, but was pushed up a week to May 3, in order to avoid competition with Pokémon: Detective Pikachu, which is also intended to be released on May 10.
- "Christopher Lennertz to Compose Score & Songs for Kelly Asbury's 'UglyDolls' | Film Music Reporter".
- Dave McNary (January 11, 2019). "China's Alibaba Pictures to Partner on STX's UglyDolls Franchise". Variety.
- Alexander, Bryan (November 4, 2018). "Exclusive look: Kelly Clarkson embraces her Moxy, the gloriously weird star of 'UglyDolls". USA Today. Retrieved November 4, 2018.
- "'UglyDolls' Trailer: The Mood Couldn't Be Any Brighter, But Being Different Can Be Tough". Deadline. 8 November 2018. Retrieved 19 December 2018.
- "Story". Uglydolls.com. Ugly Industries Holdings LLC. Retrieved November 8, 2018.
- Wiseman, Andreas (October 8, 2018). "Emma Roberts Joins STX Animation 'UglyDolls' With Kelly Clarkson & Blake Shelton". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved October 8, 2018.
- Fleming, Mike (May 26, 2011). "Chris Meledandri's Illumination To Turn Uglydoll Into Animated Film". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved August 16, 2017.
- Lang, Brent (May 28, 2015). "STX Entertainment Plans Uglydoll Film, Launches Family Division (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved August 16, 2017.
- Khatchatourian, Maane (March 28, 2017). "Robert Rodriguez to Direct 'Ugly Dolls' Animated Film for STX". Variety. Retrieved August 16, 2017.
- "Why Hollywood Can't Stop Making Films About Lego, Emojis, And Angry Birds". Cartoon Brew. August 14, 2017. Retrieved June 18, 2018.
- Dave McNary (March 13, 2018). "Pitbull Joining STX's Animated UglyDolls Movie". Variety. Retrieved June 18, 2018.
- Donnelly, Matt (May 23, 2018). "STX Sets 'Uglydolls' Animated Series, Feature Streaming Deal at Hulu". TheWrap. Retrieved June 18, 2018.
- Hipes, Patrick (July 11, 2018). "Kelly Clarkson To Lead Voice Cast Of STX's 'Uglydolls' Movie". Deadline. Retrieved July 11, 2018.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (August 29, 2018). "Nick Jonas Joins The Band For STX's 'UglyDolls' Movie". Deadline. Retrieved August 29, 2018.
- McNary, Dave (September 12, 2018). "Wanda Sykes, Gabriel Iglesias Join Animated Feature 'UglyDolls'". Variety. Retrieved September 12, 2018.
- Galuppo, Mia (September 20, 2018). "Blake Shelton Joins Kelly Clarkson in 'UglyDolls' Movie". Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved September 20, 2018.
- Kroll, Justin (October 2, 2018). "Janelle Monae Joins Harriet Tubman Biopic and 'UglyDolls' Voice Cast (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved October 2, 2018.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (December 13, 2018). "STX's 'UglyDolls' To Launch First Weekend Of May". Deadline Hollywood. Penske Business Media, LLC.