Ugo A. Perego
Dr. Ugo A. Perego is a population geneticist whose main focuses of study have been the origins of Native Americans and the DNA of Joseph Smith, among others. Perego is also a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Dr. Perego was a Senior Researcher at the Sorenson Molecular Genealogy Foundation (SMGF) and a Scientific Consultant for GeneTree.com, both located in Salt Lake City, Utah for twelve years. He is currently the Director of the Rome Italy Institute of Religion and a Visiting Scientist at the University of Perugia in Italy. Dr. Perego is the owner of The Genetic Genealogy Consultant. He has received a BSc and MSc in Health Sciences from Brigham Young University (Provo, Utah) and a PhD in Genetics and Biomolecular Sciences from the University of Pavia (Pavia, Italy) under the mentorship of Professor Antonio Torroni. Dr. Perego has lectured extensively internationally, authoring and co-authoring numerous articles on the use of DNA to research ancient population migrations, genealogies, and history, including Mormon history (Complete list of publications).
- Article mentioning Perego's work on the genetic origins of Native Americans
- FairMormon Bio
- Deseret News, March 22, 2012
- Deseret News, July 9, 2011
- Deseret News, August 8, 2008
- Genetic Genealogist article on Perego
- National Geographic article that quotes Perego on the genetic origins of Native Americans
- NPR article mentioning Perego
- Associated Press, March 13, 2008
- Ancestry Magazine, May-June 2008 article mentioning Perego
- Book of Mormon and DNA Studies
- Article by Perego in online journal Interpreter: A Journal of Mormon Scriptures
- Full list of scientific publications on PubMed.org