Ukrainian Catholic Archeparchy of São João Batista em Curitiba
|Archeparchy of São João Batista em Curitiba
Sancti Ioannis Baptistae Curitibensis Ucrainorum
Архиєпархія з Сан-Жуан-Батіста ем Куритиба
|Ecclesiastical province||São João Batista em Curitiba|
|Sui iuris church||Ukrainian Greek Catholic|
|Established||November 29, 1971|
|Cathedral||Cathedral of St John the Baptist in Curitiba|
|Major Archbishop||Sviatoslav Shevchuk|
|Bishop||Valdomiro Koubetch, O.S.B.M.|
|Website of the Diocese|
The Ukrainian Greek Catholic Archparchy or Archdiocese of (São João Batista em) Curitiba (Latin: Archparchia Sancti Ioannis Baptistae Curitibensis Ucrainorum) is a Ukrainian Greek Catholic archeparchy located in the city of Curitiba, which is also the Metropolitan see of a Roman Catholic Ecclesiastical province of Curitiba in Brazil.
It was established on May 30, 1962 as Apostolic Exarchate (exempt, i;e. directly subject to the Holy See, not part of any ecclesiastical province) of Brazil. On November 29, 1971, the exarchate was promoted as the Eparchy (diocese) of São João Batista em Curitiba.
In May 2014, it became an Archeparchy (Eastern-Church archdiocese), with Eparch Valdomiro Koubetch, O.S.B.M., elevated to the first Archeparch (Archbishop) of the Archeparchy.
It has one suffragan eparchy in its ecclesiastical province, the Eparchy of the Imaculada Conceição (Immaculate Conception) in Prudentópolis, on Brazilian territory formerly belonging to the exarchate. Auxiliary Bishop Meron Mazur, O.S.B.M., who until then had been one of two auxiliaries under now-Archeparch Koubetch's leadership, became the first Eparch (Bishop) of that new Eparchy.
So far, its exarchs and (arch)bishops -often monks in the Eastern tradition- always belonged to the Basilian order.
- Apostolic Exarchs of Brazil (Ukrainian Catholic Rite)
- Bishop José Romão Martenetz, Order of Saint Basil the Great (O.S.B.M.) (1962.05.30 – 1971.11.29; cfr. infra)
- Eparchs (Bishops) of São João Batista em Curitiba (Ukrainian Catolic Rite)
- Bishop José Romão Martenetz, O.S.B.M. (cfr. supra; 1971.11.29 – 1978.03.10)
- Bishop Efraím Basílio Krevey, O.S.B.M. (1978.03.10 – 2006.12.13)
- Bishop Valdomiro Koubetch, O.S.B.M. (2006.12.13 – 2014.05.12; cfr. infra)
- Metropolitan Archeparch(s (Archbishops)
- Archeparch Valdomiro Koubetch, O.S.B.M. (cfr. supra; 2014.05.12 – present)
References and External Links
|This article on a Roman Catholic diocese in Brazil is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an Ukrainian Greek Catholic diocese is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|