Ukrainian Catholic Eparchy of Saints Peter and Paul of Melbourne
|Eparchy of Saints Peter and Paul of Melbourne (Ukrainian)
Eparchia Sanctorum Petri et Pauli Melburnensis Ucrainorum
|Territory||Australia, New Zealand and Oceania|
|Ecclesiastical province||Melbourne (Latin)|
|Metropolitan||Immediately subject to the Ukrainian Catholic Archeparchy of Kiev|
|(as of 2009)
|Established||10 May 1958 as
Apostolic Exarchate of Australia;
24 June 1982 as
Ukrainian Catholic Eparchy of Saints Peter and Paul
|Patriarch||Major Archbishop Sviatoslav Shevchuk|
|Eparch||Peter Stasiuk C.SS.R.|
|Ukrainian Catholic Church: Australia,New Zealand and Oceania|
The Ukrainian (Greek) Catholic Eparchy of Saints Peter and Paul of Melbourne is a Byzantine Rite Eastern Catholic eparchy (diocese) of the Catholic Church in Australia based in Melbourne and suffragan of its Latin Metropolitan Archbishop of Melbourne.
Status and jurisdiction
Like all Catholic dioceses in Australia, the eparchy is a member of the Australian Catholic Bishops' Conference. The Roman Catholic Church is made up of the Latin or Western Catholic church and 21 Eastern Catholic particular churches sui iuris, one of which is the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church.
The eparchy is non-geographic, but demographic in that it has jurisdiction wherever Ukrainian Greeks are found in Australia, New Zealand and throughout Oceania. It has 21 churches and more schools, nursing homes and other institutions in Australia and New Zealand.
The (Oriental) eparchy was created on 10 May 1958 as the Apostolic Exarchate of Australia, for the faithful of the Ukrainian language Byzantine Rite, then exempt (directly subject to the Holy See). It cased to depend directly on the Holy See after it was elevated to an eparchy (diocese) on 24 June 1982 and made a suffragan in the ecclesiastical province of the Metropolitan (Latin) Archbishop of Melbourne.
- In Victoria, parishes are located in North Melbourne (Ukrainian Catholic Cathedral of Saints Peter and Paul), Wodonga (Church of St Olha), Ardeer (The Dormition of the Blessed Virgin), Geelong (Protection of the Mother of God) and Noble Park (Misson of Blessed Mykolay Charnetsky).
- In New South Wales, parishes are located in Lidcombe (St Andrew's Church), Wollongong (St Volodymyr's), Newcastle (Protection of the Mother of God), and Queanbeyan (St Michael's).
- In the Australian Capital Territory, a parish is located in Canberra (Church of St Volodymyr).
- In South Australia, parishes are located in Wayville (Protection of the Mother of God) and Woodville (Saints Volodymyr and Olha War Memorial Church).
- In Queensland, a parish is located in Brisbane (Protection of the Mother of God).
- In Western Australia, parishes are located in Perth (St John the Baptist) and Northam (Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin).
- In Tasmania, parishes are located in Hobart (The Transfiguration of our Lord) and Launceston (Holy Family Church)
Church services are held in
- Auckland (Mother of Perpetual Help Church).
- Christchurch (St Peter’s Church)
- Wellington (Sacred Heart Cathedral chapel)
Order Name Title Date enthroned Reign ended Term of office Reason for term end 1 Ivan Prasko † Redemptorists Apostolic Exarch of Australia (Ukrainian) 10 May 1958 24 June 1982 24 years, 45 days Elevated as Bishop of Ss Peter & Paul of Melbourne Eparch (Bishop) of Ss Peter & Paul of Melbourne (Ukrainian), titular bishop of Zygris 24 June 1982 16 December 1992 10 years, 175 days Retired and appointed Bishop Emeritus of Ss Peter & Paul of Melbourne 2 Peter Stasiuk C.Ss.R. Eparch of Ss Peter & Paul of Melbourne 16 December 1992 present 23 years, 221 days n/a
- "Eparchy of Saints Peter and Paul of Melbourne (Ukrainian)". The Hierarchy of the Catholic Church. 1 March 2011. Retrieved 1 November 2011.