Ukrainian Institute of National Memory
Ukrainian Institute of National Memory (Ukrainian: Український Інститут Національної Пам’яті, UINM), also translated Ukrainian Institute of National Remembrance, is the central executive body operating under the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine. Established on 31 May 2006 as a special organ for the restoration and preservation of national memory of the Ukrainian people. From 2006 till 2010 it was a central governmental institution with a special status, while from 2010 to 2014 a research budget institution.
On December 9, 2010, the UINR was discontinued by a decree issued by Viktor Yanukovych and on the same day the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine created the Ukrainian Institute of National Remembrance as a research institution instead, within the budget from the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine.
- Ihor Yukhnovskyi, from May 22, 2006.
- Valeriy Soldatenko, from July 19, 2010
- Volodymyr Viatrovych (Ukrainian: Володи́мир В'ятро́вич) from March 25, 2014.
- Anton Drobovych (Ukrainian: Антон Дробович) from December 4, 2019.
Decommunization of Ukraine
In May 2015 President Poroshenko signed four laws concerning Decommunization in Ukraine. The director of the Institute, Volodymyr Viatrovych, was involved in the drafting of two of these laws. The criminal sentences imposed by these acts and their phrasing came in for criticism within the country and abroad.
The law "On access to the archives of repressive bodies of the communist totalitarian regime from 1917-1991" placed the state archives concerning repression during the Soviet period under the jurisdiction of the Ukrainian Institute of National Remembrance.
- Who is Ukraine's new head of Institute of National Remembrance?, 112 Ukraine (5 December 2019)
- "US-Ukraine Business Council". www.usubc.org. Retrieved 17 August 2017.
- "The New Director of the Ukrainian National Memory Institute: Historical Memory Policy is a Safeguard Against Repeating the Crimes of the Past". www.cdvr.org.ua. Retrieved 17 August 2017.
- "Drobovych appointed as chairman of Ukrainian Institute of National Remembrance". Ukrinform. December 4, 2019. Retrieved December 4, 2019.
- "'Decommunization' in Ukraine Carried Out Using Communist Methods - Human Rights in Ukraine". Retrieved 17 August 2017.