Ukrainian Sea Guard
This article needs to be updated.August 2014)(
|Ukrainian Sea Guard|
|Role||Coastal defense, maritime law enforcement|
|Part of||SBGS (2003–present)|
|Engagements||Russian invasion of Ukraine|
|State Border Guard Service of Ukraine||LTG Viktor Nazarenko|
Ukrainian Sea Guard (Ukrainian: Морська охорона, Mors’ka Okhorona; full name Морська охорона Державної прикордонної служби України, Sea Guard of the State Border Guard Service of Ukraine) is the coast guard service of Ukraine, subordinated to its Border Guard Service.
Sea Guard vessels bear the Морська охорона inscription on their boards.
Ukrainian Sea Guard is the local successor of the Soviet Border Troops Naval Units that have been similarly responsible for coast guard tasks. However, there were some interchanges in units, ships and personnel between Sea Guard and the Ukrainian Navy.[clarification needed]
Service persons of the Sea Guard wear either the black uniform similar to Ukrainian Navy, but decorated with some green elements (traditional for border guard), or a common uniform of the Border Guard.
The Sea Guard operates four sea guard detachments: in Balaklava, Odessa, Izmail and Kerch; a sea guard cutters division in Mariupol; a special-purpose sea guard cutters division in Yalta; and a riverine Dnieper sea guard cutters division in Kiev. Sea guard administration is split between the Azov-Black seas regional administration in Simferopol and the Southern regional administration in Odessa.
Squads of Marine Security
- Kerch Squad of Marine Security (from the Cape of Mehanom across the strait of Kerch and the Sea of Azov to administrative border between Zaporizhia and Donetsk regions)
- Yalta Squad of Marine Security (special assignment)
- Sevastopol Squad of Marine Security (Main base in Balaklava)
- Odessa Squad of Marine Security (Southern regional administration)
Major vessels, list is incomplete.
|Warships (1 in service)|
|Pauk||Anti-submarine corvettes||BG-50 Hryhoriy Kuropyatnykov||Yaroslavl||1984|
|Fast attack crafts (8 in service)|
|Stenka||Patrol boat||BG-32 Donbas
BG-63 Pavlo Derzhavin
|Shmel||River gunboats||BG-81 Lubny
|Zhuk 1400M (Grif)||Patrol gunboat||BG-100 508
|Zhuk 1400A (Gurzuf)||Patrol gunboat||BG-54 Kryvyi Rih||Batumi||1989||Possibly lost to Russia|
|Orlan||Patrol gunboat||BG-200 Balaklava||More||2012||the boats are intended to replace the Zhuk-class patrol boats.|
|UMS 1000||Patrol cutters||7 boats||Kiev||2015||series of small patrol cutters developed by the UMS boats|
|Katran||Patrol cutter||BG-820||Soviet Union||1994||Possibly lost to Russia|
|Chaika||Patrol boats||BG-01 Krym||Almaz||1978|
|Auxiliary ships (3 in service)|
|Grafenau||Command ship||BG-80 Dunai||Linz||1942||Supposedly decommissioned in 2011; transferred to Izmail Naval Lyceum|
|Baba Hasan||Schooner||BG-59 Oniks||Turkey|
|Koral||Patrol boat||More||2012||status uncertain; the boats were intended to replace Stenka-class patrol boats.|
Decommissioned, sold, destroyed
|Battle ships (2)|
|Pauk||Anti-submarine corvettes||BG-52 Hryhoriy Hnatenko
|Both ships were ready to be decommissioned and were left in Balaklava after the Russian annexation of Crimea; their fate is unknown|
|Battle cutters (11)|
|Stenka||Patrol boats||BG-56 Volyn
BG-60 Zaporizka Sich
BG-30 Heroyi Kerchi
|Zhuk 1400M (Grif)||Patrol cutters||BG-119
|2014; BG119 and BG118 were destroyed near Mariupol by Russian forces; BG116 was immobile since 2012|
|Zhuk 1400A (Gurzuf)||Patrol cutters||BG-53 Lviv||Batumi||1989||Lost to Russia|
From 2012 to 2014 there were, plans are to build 39 small guard ships of different classes, including 6 Korall-class and 8 Orlan-class ships. From 2015 onward, there are plans to build a multipurpose guard ship, with displacement around 1000 tons, which can carry one helicopter.
- (in Ukrainian) Law of Ukraine about State Border Guard Service of Ukraine 03.04.2003 № 661-IV
- List of vessels (Ukrainian Sea Guard). Fleetphoto.ru
- Kryvyi Rih on fleetphoto.ru
- New ships for the Sea Guard of the Ukrainian Border Patrol (Новые корабли для Морской охраны Госпогранслужбы Украины). Topwar. 11 October 2012
- Krym at fleetphoto.ru
- Military Forum
- Lviv on fleetphoto.ru
- Патрульный катер «Коралл». State Research and Design Shipbuilding Centre.
- "До 2020 года для Госпогранслужбы Украины планируется построить 39 катеров современных проектов". Flotprom.ru. 5 August 2011. Retrieved 2014-03-07.
- (in Ukrainian) Sea Guard page on the official site of Border Guard Service
- (in English) Sea Guard of the State Border Service of Ukraine
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ukrainian Sea Guard.|