The front cover of a current biometric Ukrainian passport.
International travel biometric passport biographical data page
|Date first issued||1 January 2015 (biometric passport)|
|Type of document||Passport|
|Eligibility requirements||Ukrainian citizenship|
|Expiration||10 years (4 years for persons under 18 years of age)|
|Cost||560/810 UAH for non-chip/biometric document  (eq. 22 or 31 USD, 21 or 29 EUR)|
The Ukrainian passport is a document issued for the nationals of Ukraine as the main proof of Ukrainian citizenship. There are two types of passports issued by the Ukrainian government commonly known as the internal passport and international passport. The internal passport soft booklet (issued in and before 2016) / credit-card-sized Ukrainian identity card (issued starting in 2016) is the primary identification document of Ukrainian citizens used within Ukraine. The international passport is used for overseas travel.
According to law amendments made by the Ukrainian parliament on 14 July 2016, each citizen who reached the age of 14 must get a passport. Passports will be issued for four years to persons under 18 years of age, and for ten years for all the rest.. Since then, the Ukrainian internal passports (in booklet form) are also no longer stamped with a civil status stand (i.e. marriage or a divorce), thus abolishing a century-long tradition from the times of the USSR.  Instead, a marriage certificate is issued to each of the spouses. 
The law of Ukraine on a unified state demographic register and identity documents, which envisages the introduction of electronic passports for Ukrainians, came into force on December 6, 2012.
On July 10, 2015, the Ukrainian government announced that internal passports would be abolished, and replaced with ID cards, starting from January 1, 2016. On January 25, 2016, first new ID cards were issued to young citizens who achieved 16 years of age. Beginning November 1, 2016 ID cards are issued to all Ukrainian citizens.
See also Biometric passports in Ukraine.
Passport for travel abroad, commonly known as an "International Passport", is a document used for travel outside Ukraine. The passport information is recorded in Ukrainian and English. Passports are issued upon demand and are valid for 10 years. Two passports can be issued to those who frequently travel abroad.
The Ukrainian international passport follows international standards. Machine-readable passports with two machine-readable strings at the bottom of the first page appeared in the mid 1990s. The current Ukrainian international passport is a biometric one. If, based on religious beliefs, a citizen does not wish to receive a biometric passport, he/she can apply for a non-biometric one, providing a written statement before applying for the document.
Photos in the passports issued since 2007 are black and white, laser imprinted. As a security feature, an additional holder's photo is specially imprinted to be seen only when looking to the light through the page of the passport. Previously, passports used to be issued either with a glued-in colour photo or with a colour imprinted photo. The previously issued passports are valid until their expiration date.
New biometric international passports have dark blue cover and contain 32 pages. Covers of the international passports issued in 1990s were red, allowing easy visual distinction from blue-color internal passports.
By default, the first and last names in the international passport are transliterated from Ukrainian to English according to the National transliteration system (1996). However, any person has an option to request the desired English spelling of his first and last name, if he holds any document already having that spelling.
Previously International Passports were issued only to citizens aged 18 and older (16 and older in case of permanent foreign residency). Prior to that age, Ukrainian citizens could get a Travel Document of a Child (PR type) similar in appearance to the passport valid for 3 years, and has only 8 pages. In some rare case Ukrainian citizens were allowed to have International Passport before the age of 18 or 16, but it also is valid for only 3 years. If a child holding Ukrainian citizenship has been adopted by a foreign citizen — he or she may get regular International Passport, which is valid for 10 years, just as for adults, instead of getting Child Travel Document.
Identity information page
The Ukrainian passport includes the following data:
The information page ends with the Machine Readable Zone starting with P<UKR.
Passports typically contain a message from the minister or official in charge of passport issuance addressed to the officials of foreign states, requesting that the citizen bearing the passport be allowed free passage through the state, and if in need be provided assistance consistent with international norms. Today this treatment is expected rather than requested, but the message remains as a tradition. Ukrainian passports bear the message:
In Ukrainian :
- Іменем України Міністр закордонних справ України просить усіх кого це може стосуватися, всіма можливими заходами полегшити поїздку пред'явника паспорта, подавати йому необхідну допомогу та захист.
In English :
- In the name of Ukraine, the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine requests all those whom it may concern to facilitate in every possible way the travel of the bearer of this passport and to provide the bearer with all necessary assistance and protection.
Other documents for foreign travel
In 2015, Ukrainian citizens had visa-free or visa on arrival access to 79 countries and territories, ranking the Ukrainian passport 59th in the world according to the Visa Restrictions Index. In 2017 Ukrainian Passport scored from 59 place to 31 place according to Passport Power Rank.
Ukrainian People's Republic (UNR) had a single passport for internal and international use. It consisted of 16 pages where first 7 pages contained information about the citizen and the rest were appointed for visas. The information was written in Ukrainian, French and German.
- Ukrainian citizenship
- Ukrainian identity card
- Visa requirements for Ukrainian citizens
- Visa policy of Ukraine
- Ukrainian parliament passes law on internal biometric passports, Interfax-Ukraine (14 July 2016)
- Про затвердження Правил оформлення і видачі паспорта громадянина України для виїзду за кордон і проїзного документа дитини, їх тимчасового затримання та вилучення Order of the Cabinet of Ministries of Ukraine, March 31, 1995 (with amendments) N 231.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Passports of Ukraine.|
- EDAPS Consortium – developer of the new international passport of Ukraine
- Abroad travel documents of Ukraine – Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine
- Everything you need to know about the Ukrainian passport – Ukrainian Passport
- Laws of Ukraine. Decision of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine (Postanova) No. 858/2007: Про затвердження технічного опису та зразка бланка паспорта громадянина України для виїзду за кордон та внесення змін до деяких актів Кабінету Міністрів України. Adopted on 2007-06-26. (Ukrainian)
- Про затвердження зразка бланка, технічного опису та порядку оформлення, видачі, обміну, пересилання, вилучення, повернення державі, знищення паспорта громадянина України для виїзду за кордон, його тимчасового затримання та вилучення http://zakon.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/152-2014-п (Decision of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine about new biometric passports)