Ukrainian presidential elections
|This article is part of a series on the|
politics and government of
Since the establishment of the position of the President of Ukraine in 1991, the presidential elections have taken place seven times: in 1991, 1994, 1999, 2004, 2010, 2014 and 2019.
A candidate for the President's office must:
- be a citizen of Ukraine;
- be at least 35 years of age on the election day;
- have the right to vote;
- speak the official language (Ukrainian);
- be living in Ukraine for the last ten years.
The same person cannot be elected President more than twice in a row.
A candidate can be nominated by a political party or be self-nominated.
Regular presidential elections are held on the last Sunday of March (formerly in October) of the fifth (and last) year of the incumbent President's term of office. If a president's term in office ends prematurely, the election of a new president must take place within ninety days of the previous president leaving office.
The president is elected by direct popular vote in a two-round majoritarian contest: if no candidate receives a simple majority (over 50%) of the votes in the first round, the two candidates with the most votes advance to a run-off. The second (run-off) round is held within two weeks after the first. If one of the two remaining candidates drops out of the race less than 12 days before the second round, the other must still win over 50% of the second-round vote to be elected President.
The voter must be a Ukrainian citizen and be at least 18 years old on the election day.
There are no requirements for a certain minimum voter turnout.
List of Ukrainian presidential elections
- 1991 Ukrainian presidential election
- 1994 Ukrainian presidential election
- 1999 Ukrainian presidential election
- 2004 Ukrainian presidential election
- 2010 Ukrainian presidential election
- 2014 Ukrainian presidential election
- 2019 Ukrainian presidential election
The highest voter turnout–84 percent–was recorded during the first election in December 1991.
- "Выборы президента Украины в 2019 году. Порядок проведения и кандидаты". TASS. 2019-03-29. Retrieved 2019-04-03.
- "On Elections of the President of Ukraine". Verkhovna Rada. Retrieved 2019-04-04.
"Про вибори Президента України (Текст резюме від 08.12.2004)". Retrieved 2019-04-04.
- "Have a Deeper Look Into Presidential Election Process in Ukraine". Sputnik International. 2019-03-31. Retrieved 2019-04-04.
- "IFES answers FAQs about Ukraine's presidential election". Kyiv Post. 2019-03-27. Retrieved 2019-04-04.
- "Presidential election in Ukraine in 2019: what needs to be known". Ukrinform. 2019-03-07. Retrieved 2019-04-04.
- The Current Digest of the Post-Soviet Press. Current Digest of the Soviet Press. 2009.
- Ingmar Bredies; Andreas Umland; Valentin Yakushik (22 November 2007). Aspects of the Orange Revolution III. Columbia University Press. pp. 146–. ISBN 978-3-8382-5803-4.
- "Presidential campaign kicks off in Ukraine". UNIAN. 2018-12-31. Retrieved 2019-04-04.
- "Явочным порядком.Почему социологи предрекают высокую явку избирателей в день голосования 31 марта". Focus. 2019-03-29. Retrieved 2019-04-11.