United States |
Wayne State University - Bachelor of Science (BSc)Michigan State University College of Human Medicine - Medicinae Doctor (MD)
Director of Humanitarian Initiatives of the Ukrainian World Congress 2014|
Founder and Director of Patriot Defence 2014
Director of the School of Rehabilitation Medicine at the Ukrainian Catholic University 2015
Deputy Minister of Health Ukraine July 22nd, 2016Acting Minister of Health Ukraine July 27th, 2016
Ulana Suprun is an American-Ukrainian medical doctor and has been Acting Minister of Healthcare of Ukraine since July 2016. She has also been director of Humanitarian Initiatives of the Ukrainian World Congress and founder of Patriot Defence before.
She was appointed the director of the School of Rehabilitation Medicine at the Ukrainian Catholic University in September 2015. and at the same time became a freelance consultant for the Verkhovna Rada Committee on Health in September 2015. Prime Minister Volodymyr Groysman approached her about becoming the new Deputy Minister of Health of Ukraine in early July 2016, while this nomination was publicly supported by President Petro Poroshenko and approved by Ukraine's Cabinet of Ministers On July 22, 2016. Because of the office's long vacance she was additionally appointed acting Minister of Healthcare on July 27, 2016.
Early life and education
Suprun was born to a Ukrainian family in Detroit, Michigan. She attended Immaculate Conception Ukrainian Catholic School and was otherwise very active in the Ukrainian diaspora community. After graduating from the medical school, she worked and lived in the United States.
Suprun received her medical degree from Michigan State University College of Human Medicine. She is an Assistant Clinical Professor, Pathology at Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai.
Suprun was vice medical director of a women's imaging centre, Medical Imaging of Manhattan. In 2013, she and her husband moved to Ukraine. From 29 November, both were on the Maidan during the Revolution of Dignity in Kyiv (2014 Ukrainian revolution). Suprun worked in the medical services of the Euromaidan. This subsequently led to her position at the Ukrainian World Congress and later to the founding of "Patriot Defence," a non-governmental organization (NGO) that provides tactical medicine training and distributes NATO Standard Improved First Aid Kits (IFAKs) to Ukraine's servicemen.
On July 11, 2015, President Petro Poroshenko conferred citizenship to Suprun and her spouse Marko stating, "your efforts saved thousands of lives." The July decree conferring citizenship was possible due to the President's constitutional authority, and deemed "in the state's interest." Suprun became the Minister of Healthcare later that month.
- "Our team - Patriot Defence". Patriot Defence. Retrieved 2016-07-27.
- "Засновницю проекту "Захист патріотів" призначено консультантом комітету ВР з питань охорони здоров'я". Retrieved 2016-07-27.
- "Ulana Suprun: UCU's School of Rehabilitation Medicine Will Be a World-Class Program to Prepare Specialists | Ukrainian Catholic University". ucu.edu.ua. Retrieved 2016-07-27.
- "Директора гуманітарних ініціатив Світового Конгресу Українів Уляну Супрун призначено Консультантом парламентського Комітету з питань охорони здоров'я". bogomolets.com. Retrieved 2016-07-27.
- "President offered volunteer Ulana Suprun to become Deputy Minister of Health — Official website of the President of Ukraine". Retrieved 2016-07-27.
- "Ukrainian Cabinet appoints Suprun as acting health minister". Retrieved 2016-07-27.
- "Suprun appointed acting health minister". Retrieved 2016-07-27.
- "Ulana Suprun about modernization of the army, the nation and Ukraine - Patriot Defence". Patriot Defence. Retrieved 2016-07-27.
- "Ulana Suprun | Mount Sinai - New York". Mount Sinai Health System. Retrieved 2016-07-27.
- "Former Hamtramck woman inspired to aid Ukraine's fight to remain free". Retrieved 2016-07-27.
- "UCC WELCOMES ADDITIONAL SUPPORT BY CANADA FOR UKRAINE". Ukrainian Canadian Congress. 2015-01-27. Retrieved 2016-07-27.
- Contributor, About the Source Euromaidan Press (2014-07-07). "Support the initiative "Patriot Defence" to save lives of Ukrainian soldiers who defend their motherland -". Euromaidan Press. Retrieved 2016-08-01.
- "Project: Patriot Defence". www.ukrainianworldcongress.org. Retrieved 2016-08-01.
- "Poroshenko grants Ukrainian citizenship to Ulana and Marko Suprun of the U.S." Retrieved 2016-07-27.
- "Ukrainian American radiologist tapped as Ukraine's deputy minister of health". Ukrainian Weekly. July 2016.
- Getto, Michael (2016-10-25). "The Doctor Is In: Ukraine's New Health Minister Already Shaking Up Sclerotic System". Atlantic Council.