Ulf Mark Schneider
Life and career
Schneider was born and raised in Germany and became a U.S. citizen in 2003. He holds a doctorate in economics from the University of St. Gallen, Switzerland, and an MBA from Harvard Business School. Schneider joined Fresenius in November 2001, when he was appointed Chief Financial Officer of Fresenius Medical Care. From May 2003 until June 2016 he served as CEO of the parent company Fresenius. Previously, he was Group Finance Director for Gehe UK plc., a pharmaceutical wholesale and retail distributor, in Coventry, England. Schneider held several senior executive positions starting in 1989 with Gehe’s majority shareholder, Franz Haniel & Cie. GmbH, a diversified German industrial company. Under Schneider's leadership of Fresenius, the number of employees more than tripled, revenue quadrupled and net income increased twelvefold. While Schneider was CEO, Fresenius has also carried out a number of major strategic acquisitions: the private hospital chain HELIOS Kliniken in 2005; U.S. dialysis provider Renal Care Group, in 2006; U.S. pharmaceutical company APP Pharmaceuticals, in 2008; Liberty Dialysis, another major dialysis provider in the United States, in 2011; and, in 2014, the purchase of 41 hospitals from Rhön-Klinikum, through which HELIOS became the largest private hospital operator in Germany.
On June 27, 2016, Schneider was appointed Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Nestlé SA, replacing Paul Bulcke. He has officially started his position on January 1, 2017. Schneider is the first outsider to run Nestlé since 1922.
- Group overview on Fresenius' corporate website
- Ulf Mark Schneider’s CV on Fresenius' corporate website
- Business Week: New Blood Invigorates Dialysis Company
- Fresenius Press Release
- Company History
- St. Gallen Symposium 2006
- Business Week: A Prescription for Saving Big Drugmakers
- Harvard Business School case study: Growth and Profitability at Fresenius
- DuPont corporate website
- "Nestle's press release on June 27th, 2016". www.nestle.com. Retrieved 2016-06-28.
- Blackstone, Brian; Chaudhuri, Saabira (2016-06-27). "Nestlé Taps Ulf Mark Schneider as Next CEO". Wall Street Journal. ISSN 0099-9660. Retrieved 2016-10-14.