|• Type||Municipal Corporation|
|• Body||Ulhasnagar Municipal Corporation|
|• Total||28 km2 (11 sq mi)|
|Elevation||19 m (62 ft)|
|• Density||18,000/km2 (47,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Telephone code||STD code 0251|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Kalyan|
Ulhasnagar is a city located in Thane district, located about 55 km from Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus railway station. This city is a part of Mumbai Metropolitan Region managed by MMRDA. It had an estimated population of 506,098 at the 2011 Census. Ulhasnagar is a municipal town and the headquarters of the Tahsil bearing the same name. It has a railway station on the Mumbai-Pune route of the Central Railway zone.
A suburban railway station was built in 1955. In January 1960, Ulhasnagar Municipality was formed, with Arjun K. Ballani as first chief, and a municipal council was nominated. In 1965, elections were first held in this council. In the late 1970s, Ulhasnagar was a town settled mainly by Sindhi refugees. Now this 28 square kilometre area has 389,000 people of Sindhi descent, the largest enclave of Sindhis in India. The town lies outside Mumbai city but within the Mumbai Conurbation. In 2010, the estimated population of Sindhi Hindus in Ulhasnagar was 400,000.
There are a number of criminal gangs in town working under the patronage of political parties. Also for many illegal building projects in 1990s, politicians started to charge money to look the other way.
The town covers an area of 13 square kilometers and is divided into 285 blocks. It is a centre for the production of rayon silk, dyes, ready-made garments, electrical / electronic appliances & confectionaries. The total length of existing Roads & Streets in the town measures 352 kilometers. The town is served by underground & open-surface drainage, night soil being disposed of by septic tank latrines. The town gets a protected water supply through MIDC. Sanctioned Water Quota at various tapping points is 112 MLD. Fire-fighting service is also available in the town. 60 private hospitals with a total bed-strength of 840 beds 3 Government hospitals with total bed-strength of 356 beds, 255 dispensaries / clinics, 100 RMP and a family planning centre cater to the curative and preventive health needs of the town population.
Ulhasnagar has number of small businesses manufacturing denims. Some of the manufacturers export jeans worldwide from Ulhasnagar. The city is also known for its furniture market, cloth market and electronic market. Apart from this Ulhasnagar has various small scale manufacturing units which produce confectionery, textile weaving, furniture, printing press, etc.
According to the 2011 Census of India, Ulhasnagar had a population of 506,098. Ulhasnagar is the 22nd biggest city in Maharashtra and 88th in the country. Males constituted 53% of the population and females 47%.
Educational facilities are provided by 129 primary schools, 56 secondary schools, 9 higher secondary schools, 3 colleges and 2 technical colleges.
- Principal K M Kundnani Pharmacy Polytechnique
- Institute of Technology
- Dr L. H. Hiranandani College of Pharmacy
- H and G H Mansukhani Institute of Management
- Nari Gursahani Law College
Ulhasnagar Girls College, started in 1961, later converted to R K Talreja College.
▪ Ashish Chanchlani (Famous Indian Youtuber Owner of Ashish Chanchlani Vines Diamond Play Button Winner)
- Mumbai Councils
- Girish Kuber (9 January 2007). "Pappu's Ulhasnagar gambit may backfire". Economic Times. Retrieved 24 May 2007.
- Sindhi conversions in Ulhasnagar raise a storm
- Ghosh, S.K. (1991). The Indian mafia. New Delhi: Ashish Pub. House. p. 56. ISBN 9788170243786. Retrieved 3 February 2017.
- Yogesh Pawar (3 March 1999). "Three Ps rule Ulhas: Pelf, Politicians & Pappu.and his most trusted man shamsher ansari Ulhasnagar is mainly distributed in 5 areas namely ulhasnagar 1,2,3,4 and 5". Indian Express. Retrieved 24 May 2007.
- Dionne Bunsha (17 December 2004). "The States:Ulhasnagar in a new role". The Hindu. Archived from the original on 10 March 2007. Retrieved 24 May 2007.
- "About Ulhasnagar, Introduction of Ulhasnagar, Ulhasnagar Profile". www.ulhasnagaronline.in. Retrieved 9 January 2016.
-  Smt. Chandibai Himmatmal Mansukhani College
-  Principal K M Kundnani Pharmacy Polytechnique
-  Institute of Technology
-  Dr L. H. Hiranandani College of Pharmacy
-  H and G H Mansukhani Institute of Management
-  Nari Gursahani Law College
-  R K Talreja College
- "About NGLC". Archived from the original on 30 March 2017. Retrieved 13 August 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ulhasnagar.|