Ulladulla High School
|Ulladulla High School|
|Type||Public co-educational secondary|
|Motto||'Strive for the Summit'|
|Campus||16.4 acres (66,000 m2)|
|Colour(s)||Dark Green and White|
Ulladulla High School is a public high school located in the coastal town of Ulladulla on the South East coast of NSW Australia. In 2013 the school had a student body of 1097. The current principal is Denise Lofts.
This section does not cite any sources. (March 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Ulladulla High School was opened in 1974 and took over the role of the local high school that Milton Central School (now Milton Public School) had previously filled. Since the opening of UHS, the school has undergone extensive construction and renovation, most notably starting in 2006. This construction saw the commencement of the building that is known as 'Q' block, which provides in excess of 20 classrooms, two large staff rooms accommodating all the staff present at UHS, and state of the art technology. Included in the classrooms are 4 new creative arts rooms, and 2 new music rooms, as well as 2 large art workshops and 1 large music workshop. Also located in the creative and performing arts section is a kiln room, a blue room, a darkroom, several art store rooms, a sound proof band room, a sound proof piano room, and several music store rooms.
The school's major refurbishment stage of the blocks G, K, M, F and E and the Library and Administration blocks has recently been completed and major landscaping work has been finalised. As of late 2011, the school has commenced its largest contraction project since 2006, with the commencement of the new Multi Purpose Hall which will seat in excess of 800 audience members internally, as well as several hundred more in the adjoining COLA.
The original D block was removed in the first half of 2010 and currently is being transformed into wheelchair access for adjacent blocks, and native gardens for students. The school has recently also undergone extensive landscaping, with the design and placement of several new native gardens.
|2013 – Present||Denise Lofts|
|2003 – 2013||Tracy Provest|
|1991 – 2002||Paul Connor|
|1989 – 1991||Robin Cantrill|
|2012 Year 9 NAPLAN results|
|Reading||Persuasive writing||Spelling||Grammar & punctuation||Numeracy|
|Similar school average||559||533||562||557||565|
- Luke O'Donnell - former rugby league player
- Gary Warburton - professional rugby league player with the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs of the National Rugby League
- Jihad Dib - former teacher at the school who later became a politician.
- Matt Best - drummer in the band Tonight Alive signed to both Fearless Records and Sony Music Entertainment Australia.
in 2012, there were numerous complaints by members of the community about students loitering in the CBD during school hours, drinking, smoking, swearing and harassing shoppers. This later sparked controversy and has called for the encouragement and support of the local community to not serve students unless they are in possession of a valid leave pass. The initiative 'you need the student pass' was implemented as of 5 June 2012.
In 2011 Ulladulla High School faced criticism over its management of Special Religious Education. The then principal, Tracy Provest, was criticised by some parents for requiring non-religious students to attend scripture lessons to acquire 'non scripture' notes, and providing minimal supervision for those 'opting out'.
- "School Profile, MySchool.edu.au". MySchool Website. Retrieved 12 March 2013.
- "NAPLAN Results". MySchool Website. Retrieved 23 April 2013.
- "Luke makes origin team". Milton Ulladulla Times Newspaper. Retrieved 19 March 2011.
- "Warburton signs new NRL contact". Milton Ulladulla Times Newspaper. Retrieved 19 March 2011.
- South Coast public school kids unable to opt out of scripture classes, ABC Illawarra, 3 Feb 2011 
- Made to Listen In on God's Lessons, The Daily Telegraph, 3 Feb 2011 
- Students were bullied into scripture lessons parents claim The Daily Telegraph, 17 Feb 2011 
- An Unholy Argument Milton Ulladulla Times, 16 Feb 2011
- Today's lesson: condoms in the classroom cause controversy, Heath Gilmore, Sydney Morning Herald, 3 Dec 2009, 
- Breathalysed at high school, Sydney Morning Herald, 30 July 2006