Ulleskelf railway station
|Number of platforms||2 (1 island)|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections|
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|Key dates||Opened 1839|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Ulleskelf from Office of Rail and Road statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
|UK Railways portal|
The station opened on 29 May 1839 on the York and North Midland Railway near where it crossed the River Wharfe. It avoided the Beeching Axe in the mid 1960s due to the poor road network in the area (there being no easily accessible road bridge over the river for York-bound commuters). Today the station is unstaffed with all trains operated by Northern.
Accidents and incidents
- On 24 November 1906, a passenger train overran signals and ran into the rear of a freight train.
- On 8 December 1981, a York to Liverpool express derailed 1,600 feet (500 m) north of the station. Whilst the locomotive stayed upright, all the carriages de-railed and carriages six and seven rolled down a steep bank. This resulted in 24 people requiring hospitalisation with nine of those being serious. One man later died of his injuries. The cause of the derailment was found to be a crack in one of the rails of the Up Normanton line.
A similar service runs on Sundays, four trains to York northbound, two to Sheffield and two to Hull southbound.
In December 1997, a wheelchair accessible footbridge opened.
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-508-7. OCLC 60251199.
- Body, G. (1988), PSL Field Guides - Railways of the Eastern Region Volume 2, Patrick Stephens Ltd, Wellingborough, ISBN 1-85260-072-1, p.172
- Hoole, Ken (1982). Trains in Trouble: Vol. 3. Redruth: Atlantic Books. p. 14. ISBN 0-906899-05-2.
- "Report on the Derailment that occurred on the 8th December 1981 near Ulleskelf" (PDF). Railways Archive. Department of Transport. 8 December 1982. Retrieved 27 September 2016.
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
York & Selby Lines
Line and station open
|North Eastern Railway||Bolton Percy|
Line open, station closed
|This article on a railway station in Yorkshire and the Humber is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|