Ulpia (grandmother of Hadrian)
Her mother is unknown and her paternal ancestors moved from Italy and settled in Italica (near modern Seville, Spain) in the Roman Province of Hispania Baetica in the late 3rd century BC. Her brother was Marcus Ulpius Traianus, who served as a distinguished Roman general and was the first person in her family to enter the Roman Senate. He was the biological father of Trajan, adopted son and heir of the deified Nerva.
Ulpia married a Roman Senator called Publius Aelius Hadrianus Marullinus, a wealthy and aristocratic Hispanic Roman from the gens Aelia. Ulpia and Marullinus had at least a son, Publius Aelius Hadrianus Afer, who would become a distinct Roman soldier and politician. He married a noble Spanish Roman woman called Domitia Paulina and the couple had Aelia Domitia Paulina and Publius Aelius Hadrianus or Hadrian, who was adopted by Trajan and became his heir.
Through Ulpia’s brother, she was the paternal aunt to Ulpia Marciana and Trajan. She was also a great maternal aunt to Marciana’s daughter Salonina Matidia and a great-great maternal aunt to Roman Empress Vibia Sabina, who married his grandson Hadrian.
Nerva–Antonine family tree
|Nerva–Antonine family tree|
Except where otherwise noted, the notes below indicate that an individual's parentage is as shown in the above family tree.
||This article includes inline citations, but they are not properly formatted. (August 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- History of Horoscopic Astrology By James H. Holden
- Rodgers, N., The History and Conquests of Ancient Rome, Hermes House, 2005.
- Syme, Tacitus, 30-44; PIR Vlpivs 575
- "Roman Emperors - DIR Trajan". roman-emperors.org. Retrieved 2015-11-09.
- "Roman Emperors - DIR hadrian". roman-emperors.org. Retrieved 2015-11-09.
- "Roman Emperors DIR Roman legions". roman-emperors.org. Retrieved 2015-11-09.
- "The Stemmata of the 5 Good Emperors". roman-emperors.org. Retrieved 2015-11-09.
- "Museum of Antiquities | Original Roman Coins | Hadrian". web.archive.org. Retrieved 2015-11-09.
- Perowne, S. (1960). Hadrian. Croom Helm. ISBN 9780709940487. Retrieved 2015-11-09.