|Mayor of Nuremberg|
8 August 1960 |
Ulrich Maly was born in Nuremberg, Bavaria, and educated at the elementary school in the Amberger Straße and the Johannes Scharrer Gymnasium. Since 1967 he has been involved honorarily in the Sozialistische Jugend Deutschlands – Die Falken (Socialist Youth of Germany – Falcons) and was delegated by them as the chairman of the Kreisjugendring (District Youth Association) Nuremberg-City. Since January 1984 Maly has been a member of the SPD. After the Zivildienst at the retirement home at Mimberg near Burgthann he studied economics at the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg, majoring in economic policy and public law.
In 1990 he received his Dr. rer. pol. with a dissertation on "Economy and environment in municipal development policy." In the same year he became whip of the SPD city council faction. From 1996 to 2002 Maly held the appointment of the city treasurer of Nuremberg. Since 1 May 2002 Ulrich Maly has been the Lord Mayor of the city of Nuremberg. In November 2005 he was elected to the SPD federal executive council.
He was shortlisted for the 2008 World Mayor award.
Tasks and functions
Ulrich Maly attends, partially as the Lord Mayor of Nuremberg, a huge number of tasks and functions:
- Chairman of the board of several municipal subsidiaries, like the "Städtische Werke Nürnberg" (Municipal Plants Nuremberg), the "Wohnungsbaugesellschaft Nürnberg mbH" (House Building Company Nuremberg) and the "NürnbergMesse" (Nuremberg Fair).
- Member of the supervisory board of the 1. FC Nuremberg, the N-ERGIE and the Nuremberg Airport
- Member in the board of the "Bayerischer Städtetag" and in the executive board of the "Deutscher Städtetag"
- Member of the state board and the federal board of the SPD
- Member of the Committee of the Regions in Brussels as a deputy of the "Deutscher Städtetag"
- Chairman of the jury "Internationaler Nürnberger Menschenrechtspreis" (Nuremberg International Human Rights Award)
- Foundation council chairman of the "Stiftung Staatstheater Nürnberg" (Foundation State Theatre Nuremberg)
- Chairman of several foundations, e.g. the "Zukunftsstiftung der Sparkasse Nürnberg" (Future foundation of the Savings Bank Nuremberg)
- Board of the "Congress- und Tourismuszentrale Nürnberg e. V." (Nuremberg Central Office of Congress and Tourism) and the "Deutsch-Amerikanisches Institut (DAI)" (German-American Institute) and other associations.