Ulrike Luise Tillmann
|Alma mater||Brandeis University|
University of Bonn
|Awards||Whitehead Prize (2004)|
|Doctoral advisor||Ralph Cohen|
Ulrike Luise Tillmann FRS is a mathematician specializing in algebraic topology, who has made important contributions to the study of the moduli space of algebraic curves. She is titular Professor of Mathematics at the University of Oxford and a Fellow of Merton College, Oxford. In 2021 she was appointed Director of the Isaac Newton Institute at the University of Cambridge, and N.M. Rothschild & Sons Professor of Mathematical Sciences at Cambridge, but continued to hold a part-time position at Oxford.
Tillmann completed her abitur at Gymnasium Georgianum in Vreden. She received a B.A. from Brandeis University in 1985, followed by a M.A. from Stanford University in 1987. She read for a PhD under the supervision of Ralph Cohen at Stanford University, where she was awarded her doctorate in 1990. She was awarded Habilitation in 1996 from the University of Bonn.
Awards and honours
She was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society in 2008 and a Fellow of the American Mathematical Society in 2013. She has served on the council of the Royal Society and in 2018 was its vice-president. In 2017, she became a member of the German Academy of Sciences Leopoldina.
She was elected as president-designate of the London Mathematical Society in June 2020 and took over the presidency from Jonathan Keating in November 2021. She was elected to the European Academy of Sciences (EURASC) in 2021. In October 2021 she became the director of the Isaac Newton Institute, taking a post which lasts for five years.
Tillmann's parents are Ewald and Marie-Luise Tillmann. In 1995 she married Jonathan Morris with whom she has had three daughters.
- Tillmann, Ulrike (1997). "On the homotopy of the stable mapping class group". Inventiones Mathematicae. 130 (2): 257–275. Bibcode:1997InMat.130..257T. doi:10.1007/s002220050184. hdl:10338.dmlcz/127120. MR 1474157. S2CID 121645148.
- Galatius, Søren; Tillmann, Ulrike; Madsen, Ib; Weiss, Michael (2009). "The homotopy type of the cobordism category". Acta Mathematica. 202 (2): 195–239. doi:10.1007/s11511-009-0036-9. MR 2506750.
- Ulrike Tillmann (2008), Curriculum Vitae (PDF), retrieved 16 December 2008.
- "Who's Who 2009: New Names" (PDF). The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 17 June 2009.
- Ulrike Tillmann appointed Director of the Isaac Newton Institute for Mathematical Sciences, University of Oxford Mathematical Institute, 4 February 2021
- Ulrike Tillmann at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- The London Mathematical Society (2004), Annual Report 2004 (PDF), archived from the original (PDF) on 8 January 2007, retrieved 16 December 2008.
- "Fellows of the Royal Society" (PDF). The Royal Society. Retrieved 2 May 2013.
- "List of Fellows of the American Mathematical Society". American Mathematical Society. Retrieved 2 May 2013.
- "Ulrike Tillmann". royalsociety.org. Royal Society. Retrieved 14 March 2022.
- Ulrike Tillmann, German Academy of Sciences Leopoldina, retrieved 5 January 2019
- "Professor Ulrike Tillmann named as next Director of the Isaac Newton Institute". Isaac Newton Institute. 4 February 2021. Retrieved 14 March 2022.
- "Preise und Auszeichnungen" (in German). German Mathematical Society. Retrieved 5 November 2018.
- "LMS President Designate Announced | London Mathematical Society". www.lms.ac.uk. Retrieved 20 August 2020.
- "Member Profile - Prof. Ulrike Tillmann". European Academy of Sciences. Retrieved 19 January 2022.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ulrike Tillmann.|