Ulster Defence Regiment Medal
|Ulster Defence Regiment Medal|
Ribbon of the medal
|Awarded by United Kingdom|
|Type||Long service medal|
|Eligibility||Part-time members of the Ulster Defence Regiment|
|Awarded for||12 years efficient service|
|Status||Replaced by the Northern Ireland Home Service Medal in 1992|
|Post-nominals||UD (for awards to officers)|
|Order of Wear|
|Next (higher)||Volunteer Reserves Service Medal|
|Next (lower)||Northern Ireland Home Service Medal|
The Ulster Defence Regiment Medal is a long service medal awarded to part-time members of the Ulster Defence Regiment. Established in 1982, the medal was awarded for 12 years of long and efficient service, with a bar being awarded for each subsequent six years of qualifying service. Officers awarded the medal were entitled to used the post-nominal UD. The medal was replaced by the Northern Ireland Home Service Medal in 1992. Full-time members of the Ulster Defence Regiment were eligible for the Medal for Long Service and Good Conduct (Ulster Defence Regiment) after 15 years of service.
Made of silver and 36 mm in diameter, the medal was designed by David Wynne and produced by the Royal Mint. The obverse bears a right facing effigy of Queen Elizabeth II wearing the Imperial State Crown. In relief around the edge is the inscription ELIZABETH II DEI GRATIA REGINA FID.DEF. The reverse depicts a harp, its upper left frame in the form of the head shoulders and wings of an angel. Above the harp a high relief crown. Surrounding the design are the words ULSTER DEFENCE REGIMENT. The medal hangs from a 32 mm dark green ribbon with a golden yellow centre stripe flanked by thin red stripes.
How many awarded?
The award of "UDR specific" long service medals had complex rules which meant that not very many were ever issued. The UDR medal was only issued to 1,254 members of the 40,000 who served. From 1995 to 2008, 57 clasps were also issued. In that period, 35 medal applications and 3 clasp applications were refused.
- The London Gazette: . 17 March 2003.
- "The Ulster Defence Medal (UD)". Official Website of The Regimental Association of The Ulster Defence Regiment CGC. The Regimental Association of The Ulster Defence Regiment CGC. Retrieved 16 June 2013. External link in
- "The Northern Ireland Home Service Medal (NIHSM)". Official Website of The Regimental Association of The Ulster Defence Regiment CGC. The Regimental Association of The Ulster Defence Regiment CGC. Retrieved 16 June 2013. External link in
- Great Britain. Parliament. House of Commons (1981). Papers by Command, Volume 52. London: Her Majesty's Stationery Office. pp. 98–99. ISBN 9781274741622.
- "Ulster Defence Regiment Medal (1982)". Imperial War Museum. Retrieved 16 June 2013. External link in
-  Response to a Freedom of Information Act request at Whatdotheyknow.com