Ultima Online: Stygian Abyss
|Release||September 8, 2009|
Ultima Online: Stygian Abyss is the eighth expansion pack for the 1997 MMORPG Ultima Online. The expansion was announced prematurely on the Japanese Ultima Online website. It was originally slated for release in the summer of 2007, but expected after 2008. On August 12, 2009, the official release date of September 8, 2009 was announced by Electronic Arts.
Ultima Online Stygian Abyss, was "re-announced", this time with art and storyline. UO Herald states that more information will be forthcoming in upcoming months.
- Gargoyle Race - A new player race. One ability includes being ably to "fly" (cross certain obstacles and move at mounted speed). Gargoyles can not learn Archery skill or use bows.
- Ter Mur - The Gargoyle homeland. Players will be able to place houses in this area.
- Stygian Abyss Dungeon - The largest and most intricate added to date. Based on the one seen in Ultima Underworld, the entrance is found on Fire Island on both facets. Creatures found inside include the Medusa, Primeval Lich and the Stygian Dragon. There will also be non-consensual player vs player combat areas inside the abyss.
- Imbuing - A new crafting skill that allows players to manage the properties added on a crafted weapon or armor piece. This will also include the ability to harvest magical properties from existing items.
- Mysticism - A Gargoyle form of spellcasting complete with its own set of spells.
- Throwing - A new ranged weapons skill utilizing throwing weapons and consumes no ammunition. Can only be learned by Gargoyles.
- Housing Tiles - Nine new sets showing off the style of Gargoyles.