|This article needs additional citations for verification. (January 2008)|
|Greatest hits album by Prince|
|Released||August 22, 2006|
|Genre||R&B, funk, rock, new wave|
|Label||Rhino, Warner Bros.|
Ultimate Prince is a 2006 greatest hits compilation album featuring the work of Prince. The two-disc set contains a disc of some previously released hits (some in single edit form; only "My Name Is Prince" has not been on a previous hits collection), and another of extended remixes of hits and a B-side, most of which have only been previously released as vinyl 12-inch singles.
Release date controversy
The album was originally slated to be released in North America on March 14, 2006, but was canceled just days before its release. This is likely due to Prince not wanting competition with his new 3121, scheduled to be released only one week later. However, promo copies of the album had already been sent to some retailers and were sold before the album's recall. A second release date of May 22 was proposed, but was again canceled and the album's future was unknown for a time. Three months later, it was officially released on August 22, 2006 to generally positive reviews.
- "I Wanna Be Your Lover" (single edit) – 2:57 from Prince
- "Uptown" (single edit) – 4:09 from Dirty Mind
- "Controversy" – 7:15 from Controversy
- "1999" (single edit) – 3:37 from 1999
- "Delirious" (single edit) – 2:38 from 1999
- "When Doves Cry" (single edit) – 3:47 from Purple Rain
- "I Would Die 4 U" (single version) – 2:56 from Purple Rain
- "Purple Rain" – 8:40 from Purple Rain
- "Sign o' the Times" (single edit) – 3:42 from Sign o' the Times
- "I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man" (single edit) – 3:39 from Sign o' the Times
- "Alphabet St." – 5:38 from Lovesexy
- "Diamonds and Pearls" (single edit) – 4:19 from Diamonds and Pearls
- "Gett Off" – 4:31 from Diamonds and Pearls
- "Money Don't Matter 2 Night" – 4:47 from Diamonds and Pearls
- "7" – 5:08 from Love Symbol Album
- "Nothing Compares 2 U" (Live) – 4:57 from The Hits/The B-Sides
- "My Name Is Prince" (single edit) – 4:03 from Love Symbol Album
- "Let's Go Crazy" (Special Dance Mix) – 7:36
- "Little Red Corvette" (Dance Remix) – 8:22
- "Let's Work" (Dance Remix) – 8:02
- "Pop Life" (Fresh Dance Mix) – 6:18
- "She's Always in My Hair" (12" Version) – 6:31
- "Raspberry Beret" (12" Version) – 6:34
- "Kiss" (Extended Version) – 7:16
- "U Got the Look" (Long Look) – 6:40
- "Hot Thing" (Extended Remix) – 8:30
- "Thieves in the Temple" (Remix) – 8:08
- "Cream" (N.P.G. Mix) – 4:50
Audio Remixers: Prince; Michael Hutchinson; Bob Mockler; Mick Guzauski; Sheila E.; Shep Pettibone. Recording information: 1st Avenue; Alpha Studios, Burbank, CA; Hollywood Sound; Paisley park; Record Plant, NY; Sunset sound; The Warehouse; Uptown Hollywood Sound; Warner Pioneer Studios, Japan. Editors: Junior Vasquez; Shep Pettibone. Photographers: Allen Beaulieu; Jeff Katz. Arrangers: Prince; David Z. . Personnel: Prince (vocals, various instruments); Wendy Melvoin (vocals, guitar); Eric Leeds (vocals, flute, saxophone, brass); Atlanta Bliss (vocals, trumpet, brass); Rosie Gaines (vocals, organ, sampler, background vocals); Lisa Coleman (vocals, keyboards); Sheila E. (vocals, drums, percussion); Levi Seacer, Jr. (vocals, background vocals); Bonnie Boyer, Sheena Easton (vocals); Tony M. (rap vocals, background vocals); Novi Novog (violin, viola); Sid Page (violin); Laury Woods, Denyse Buffum (viola); David Daoud Coleman, Suzie Katayama (cello); Dr. Fink (keyboards); Shiela E (drums, percussion); Michael B. (drums); Damon Dickson (percussion, background vocals); Bobby Z (percussion); Tommy Barbarella (sampler); Sonny T. (background vocals); New Power Generation, The Revolution, The Steeles . Audio Mixers: Prince; Keith "KC" Cohen; Eddie Miller ; Steve Beltran; Peggy McCreary; Joe Blaney; Michael Koppelman; Tom Garneau; Bob Rosa.
A two disc promo version of Ultimate Prince was sent to radio stations and record stores in Spring 2006. This version has a different track listing from the official release. The promo features a few songs not on the official release, though it excludes the "Let's Work" remix. The promo also presents the songs in rough chronological order as opposed to separating out the remixes. The two disc version is speculated to be the first tracklisting; Prince later changed the tracklisting to remove some of the explicit language.
Two disc promo
In-house promo sampler
- "Purple Medley"
- "I Wanna Be Your Lover"
- "Little Red Corvette" (Dance Mix)
- "Let's Go Crazy" (Special Dance Mix)
- "Erotic City" (12" Version)
- "Kiss" (Extended Version)
- "Money Don't Matter 2 Night"