Ultra HD Blu-ray
|Media type||High-density optical disc|
|Encoding||H.265/MPEG-H Part 2 (HEVC)|
|Capacity||50 GB (dual-layer, 82 Mbit/s)|
66 GB (dual-layer, 108 Mbit/s)
100 GB (triple-layer, 128 Mbit/s)
|Block size||2 KB sector, 64 KB block size|
|Read mechanism||Diode laser|
|Developed by||Blu-ray Disc Association|
|Dimensions||120 mm (4.7 in) diameter|
|Released||1 March 2016|
Ultra HD Blu-ray is a digital optical disc data storage format that supersedes Blu-ray. Ultra HD Blu-ray discs are incompatible with existing Blu-ray players. Ultra HD Blu-ray supports 4K UHD (3840 × 2160 resolution) video at frame rates up to 60 frames per second, encoded using High Efficiency Video Coding. The discs support both high dynamic range by increasing the color depth to 10-bit per color and a greater color gamut than supported by conventional Blu-ray video by using the Rec. 2020 color space.
The specification allows for three disc capacities, each with its own data rate: 50 GB with 82 Mbit/s, 66 GB with 108 Mbit/s, and 100 GB with 128 Mbit/s. Ultra HD Blu-ray technology was licensed in mid 2015, and players had an expected release date of Christmas 2015. Ultra HD Blu-ray uses a new revision of AACS DRM, AACS 2.
On May 12, 2015, the Blu-ray Disc Association revealed completed specifications and the official Ultra HD Blu-ray logo. Unlike conventional DVDs and Blu-rays, the new 4K format does not have region coding.
As of January 23, 2018, the BDA spec v3.2 also includes optional support for HDR10+ and Philips/Technicolor’s SL-HDR2.
The first Ultra HD 4K Blu-ray Discs were officially released from four studios on March 1, 2016.:
- Sony Pictures Home Entertainment released The Amazing Spider-Man 2, Salt, Hancock, Chappie, Pineapple Express, and The Smurfs 2,
- Lionsgate Home Entertainment released Sicario, The Last Witch Hunter, The Expendables 3, and Ender's Game,
- Warner Home Video released Mad Max: Fury Road, The Lego Movie, Pan, and San Andreas,
- 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment released The Martian, Kingsman: The Secret Service, Exodus: Gods and Kings, X-Men: Days of Future Past, Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials, The Maze Runner, Wild, Hitman: Agent 47, Fantastic Four, and Life of Pi.[excessive detail?]
The first Ultra HD 4K Blu-ray Discs officially released from other studios after March 1, 2016:
- Paramount Home Media Distribution released Star Trek and Star Trek Into Darkness on June 14, 2016. 
- Universal Pictures Home Entertainment released Lucy, Oblivion, and Lone Survivor on August 9, 2016. 
- Warner Music Group on 22 May 2017 released Sammi Cheng Touch Mi 2 World Tour was officially the world's first live concert released in UHD Blu-ray format. The concert was the first live show production recorded in 4K format in region, and the field production and pre-production work was begun in November, 2016.
- Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment released Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 on August 22, 2017.
- "White Paper: Blu-ray Disc™ Format" (PDF). www.blu-raydisc.com (4th ed.). 2015. Retrieved 2016-12-28.
- "4K Blu-ray discs arriving in 2015 to fight streaming media". CNET. September 5, 2014. Retrieved October 18, 2014.
- "Blu-ray Disc Association Completes Ultra HD Blu-ray™ Specification and Releases New Logo - Business Wire". BusinessWire.com. May 12, 2015. Retrieved October 28, 2015.
- Michael S. Palmer (2015-10-07). "Everything We Know About Ultra HD Blu-ray". High-Def Digest. Retrieved 2016-12-26.
- Caleb Denison (2016-01-28). "Ultra HD Blu-ray arrives February 2016; here's everything we know". Digital Trends. Retrieved 2016-07-27.
- Michael S. Palmer (2016-02-10). "Hands On First Look: Samsung UBD-K8500 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player". High-Def Digest. Retrieved 2016-07-27.
- "Blu-ray Disc Association – Update – 1/12/2018". From Vinyl to Plastic. 2018-01-12. Retrieved 2018-01-12.
- "Upcoming Fox 4K Blu-ray Titles". Blu-ray.com. Retrieved 12 January 2016.
- Thomas K. Arnold (2016-01-06). "Dolby Collaborates on 4K Ultra HD Movies from Sony, MGM, Uni". Variety. Retrieved 2016-12-26.
- Steven Cohen (2016-01-13). "Lionsgate Reveals Ultra HD Blu-ray Launch Titles, Release Date Set for March 1". High-Def Digest. Retrieved 2016-12-26.
- "WARNER BROS. HOME ENTERTAINMENT'S FIRST ULTRA HD BLU-RAY™ TITLES TO BE RELEASED MARCH 1". Prnewswire.com. Retrieved 2016-12-26.
- "4k Ultra HD Blu-ray Titles from Fox Show Up on Amazon". Hd-report.com. Retrieved 2016-12-26.
- "Paramount Announces First 4K Blu-ray Titles".
- "Universal Releases 3 Feature Films To 4k Ultra HD Blu-ray".
- "Sammi Cheng Touch Mi 2 world tour 4K Blu-ray". bluray.com. Retrieved 2017-06-28.
- Landy, Tom (July 4, 2017). "James Gunn's 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2' Blu-ray and 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Coming in August". High-Def Digest. Archived from the original on July 4, 2017. Retrieved July 4, 2017.
- Katzmeier, David (June 9, 2017). "'Guardians of the Galaxy 2' could be Disney's first 4K Blu-ray". CNET. Archived from the original on July 4, 2017. Retrieved July 4, 2017.